Return to Baseball Leftovers

Touching base/taking requests re: Yahoo! Fantasy Baseball

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Touching base/taking requests re: Yahoo! Fantasy Basebal

Postby daullaz » Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:48 pm

TheTrith wrote:lol touche.

Not baseball related, but can anyone get to your Yahoo NCAA bracket from your (android) phone?
If I use the web browser and click on my bookmark, or the link from the main fantasy page, I get redirected to a stupid full page ad for the Yahoo App. Theres no way to close it.
Clicking on the menu button (the 3 lines at top left corner) shows me the pool, with the link to everyone's brackets, but when I click it, I get sent right back to that ad. Its just one vicious never ending cycle.
Infuriating, because I need something to do at work lol.

And in the app itself, the bracket is nowhere to be found. It only lists my baseball leagues.
Ive updated to no aviale, and then uninstalled/reinstalled the app and still nothing showing.
Anyone figure this out?

You'll be able to access if you have the Yahoo Sports (nonfantasy) app.
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -627)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TheTrith » Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:58 pm

Thanks dalluz! Saved my night... didn't really want to spend working hours doing work.

Interesting that on the desktop site the Bracket Challenge is listed along with all your other fantasy teams, but on the app its not considered a fantasy sport?
I guess Yahoo strikes again.
TheTrith
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 126)

Postby JCD » Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:19 pm

What happened with local time?
Game times used to be displayed my local time and not eastern time.
Checked edit team info and preferred time zone is set properly.
JCD
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

(Past Year: 9)

Postby TheTrith » Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:49 pm

Weird. All my leagues display ET as well.
TheTrith
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 126)

Postby daullaz » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:26 am

TheTrith wrote:Thanks dalluz! Saved my night... didn't really want to spend working hours doing work.

Interesting that on the desktop site the Bracket Challenge is listed along with all your other fantasy teams, but on the app its not considered a fantasy sport?
I guess Yahoo strikes again.

I believe the thinking is likely that a majority of the people that fill out brackets are projected to be nonfantasy players. Office bracket pools are pretty common among even casual sports fans, and that''s even more likely to be the case with the promotion for the Billion Dollar Bracket. My best friend isn't a fantasy player at all but he signed up for the Billion and got all his friends (also nonfantasy players) to sign up too.
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -627)

Postby byfrcp » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:20 pm

So Im in a league that drafted yesturday the 23rd. After the draft results were entered in it started us scoring in Week 2 starting April 7th. On the Yahoo help page it states...

Leagues that draft between 12:01am PDT on Friday, March 21, and 11:59pm PDT on Friday, March 28, will start scoring with the Dodgers-Padres game on March 30.

Now Im no genius, but Im almost positive the 23rd is between the 21st and 28th. There isnt even an option for the commish to start the scoring in Week 1. Whats up with that?
byfrcp
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -72)

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:06 pm

bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 376)

Postby esf1 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:46 pm

byfrcp,

I noticed the same thing in our league. I posted a question about it in the Commissioners' Corner forum. I'm guessing it's a Yahoo problem that will sort itself out by March 30, but I wouldn't take it for granted.
esf1
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Seanyfever » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:34 pm

Using Pre Ranking on Yahoo

I need to ask this question... Anyone ever had Yahoo's preranking for auto pick mess up? I have not personally. I came across someone who is claiming it has not worked for him. The first player picked for him happened to be the highest ranked, which is not all that bad. Never heard of this error... Personally, I've messed up a few times highlighting a name not at top of my queue and hit hit... Hence getting who was highlighted.... Anyone witness or hear an error in pre rankings? Wondering about possibilities and frequency. Thx.
Expos... Gone, but not forgotten.
Seanyfever
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Response Team
(Past Year: 308)

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:24 am

Seanyfever wrote:Using Pre Ranking on Yahoo

I need to ask this question... Anyone ever had Yahoo's preranking for auto pick mess up? I have not personally. I came across someone who is claiming it has not worked for him. The first player picked for him happened to be the highest ranked, which is not all that bad. Never heard of this error... Personally, I've messed up a few times highlighting a name not at top of my queue and hit hit... Hence getting who was highlighted.... Anyone witness or hear an error in pre rankings? Wondering about possibilities and frequency. Thx.

This sounds like a case of the user not understanding what the preranks are for/how they are used.

There has always been confusion between what preranks do vs. what your queue does in the draft client vs. what the autopick algorithm does. The preranks basically just override the O-Ranks that are otherwise used to assume which players are better than others. The autopick algorithm does NOT always pick the highest ranked player for you. Most people probably know this to be true if they think about it; the algorithm has a goal to get you a starting lineup first and foremost. So if you already have a 1b and a Util, and the top ranked player is a 1b, it is not going to pick that player for you until your starting lineup is full and it is trying to fill out your bench. This confuses people sometimes when they see they preranked a player highly but that player gets skipped over. I'm of course giving the high level view of what goes on. When I worked there, I spent a ton of time picking apart concerns that the autopick algorithm was broken, and 99.9% of the time, it really wasn't. It was doing something potentially useful but not necessarily obvious.

Now the queue within the draft client is a different beast. It *is* a strict ordering of picks. If you have a 1b and a Util, and you drag a 1b into the top of your queue and go make a sandwich, it will absolutely pick another 1b for you. If you drag 5 1b into your queue, and go make a really enormous sandwich, you might come back to find you have 7 1b. So of course Yahoo! sometimes gets complaints about this behavior as well. Because ultimately autopicking is a really hard thing to do right for everybody. Sometimes you want the best player even if they don't make sense positionally, and sometimes you really don't.
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 23)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers