Page 5 of 12

Re: 10/6 Cheering/Venting PLAYOFFS !!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:21 pm
by GiantsFan14
It 100% doesn't matter where the ball landed or whether it was even ordinary effort.

When it seems apparent that a batted ball will be an Infield Fly, the umpire shall immediately declare “Infield Fly” for the benefit of the runners. If the ball is near the baselines, the umpire shall declare “Infield Fly, if Fair.”


The umpire didn't declare it until the ball was about half a second from hitting the ground, therefore the rule was incorrectly applied and should never have been called. If it takes that long to call it, then it probably wasn't ordinary effort.

Again, you have to be insane not to see how terrible that call was.

Re: 10/6 Cheering/Venting PLAYOFFS !!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:47 pm
by RyeWhiskey
GiantsFan14 wrote:It 100% doesn't matter where the ball landed or whether it was even ordinary effort.

When it seems apparent that a batted ball will be an Infield Fly, the umpire shall immediately declare “Infield Fly” for the benefit of the runners. If the ball is near the baselines, the umpire shall declare “Infield Fly, if Fair.”


The umpire didn't declare it until the ball was about half a second from hitting the ground, therefore the rule was incorrectly applied and should never have been called. If it takes that long to call it, then it probably wasn't ordinary effort.

Again, you have to be insane not to see how terrible that call was.


This is absolutely correct.

Technically speaking the call was 'correct.' It was, indeed, an infield fly as the SS was able to make the play relatively easily. The totally f-ed thing about the play is that the ump made the call literally seconds before the ball hit the ground. Just terrible terrible umpiring.

But that said, Braves fans should be way more pissed by the 3 other piss poor errors made by their team. Hey - how about Chipper's broken bat single in his last plate appearance? That was pretty sweet.

Re: 10/6 Cheering/Venting PLAYOFFS !!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:04 pm
by ayebatter
RyeWhiskey wrote:Hey - how about Chipper's broken bat single in his last plate appearance? That was pretty sweet.


He looked like a three legged dog going down the line, and the call was a gimme by the ump. :-°

Re: 10/6 Cheering/Venting PLAYOFFS !!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:10 pm
by GiantsFan14
ayebatter wrote:
RyeWhiskey wrote:Hey - how about Chipper's broken bat single in his last plate appearance? That was pretty sweet.


He looked like a three legged dog going down the line, and the call was a gimme by the ump. :-°


If it was such a gimme it should have been called right away, like the rule says. Not less than a second before the ball hit came down. It was a horrendous, horrendous call and a total misuse of the rule.

Re: 10/6 Cheering/Venting PLAYOFFS !!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:44 pm
by ayebatter
WaCougMBS wrote:
GiantsFan14 wrote:
ayebatter wrote:
He looked like a three legged dog going down the line, and the call was a gimme by the ump. :-°


If it was such a gimme it should have been called right away, like the rule says. Not less than a second before the ball hit came down. It was a horrendous, horrendous call and a total misuse of the rule.


Quote the wrong post?


That's what it looks like :-B

Re: 10/6 Cheering/Venting PLAYOFFS !!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:52 pm
by GiantsFan14
ayebatter wrote:
WaCougMBS wrote:
GiantsFan14 wrote:
If it was such a gimme it should have been called right away, like the rule says. Not less than a second before the ball hit came down. It was a horrendous, horrendous call and a total misuse of the rule.


Quote the wrong post?


That's what it looks like :-B


misread it. my bad.

Re: 10/6 Cheering/Venting PLAYOFFS !!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:58 pm
by benb18a
The very fact that it took so long for the call indicates that common sense = it is not an "infield" fly. Like I said before, an infielder can feasibly catch a pop fly pretty much anywhere in the field of play in many cases. They need to change the rule to in effect state something like "a ball which lands closer to an outfielder/requires less effort by an outfielder than in infielder based on proximity of the ball landing (not even close to infield dirt in this case) is NOT considered an infield fly.

Re: 10/6 Cheering/Venting PLAYOFFS !!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:10 pm
by ayebatter
Just knew Crisp was going to go deep. :-P

Re: 10/6 Cheering/Venting PLAYOFFS !!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:31 pm
by ayebatter
ayebatter wrote:Just knew Crisp was going to go deep. :-P


Didn't matter, Verlander was too tough. ;-)