Poll ended at Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:15 am

NL
21%
AL
79%

Total votes : 28

Re: All-Star Break Cheering, Venting, The Derby, & Home Fiel

Postby J35J » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:36 pm

I think it's a great idea to have a hometown participant, if possible. If your participant is Altuve then of course not, or your hometown guy is a starting pitcher, but anyone that's even got a chance at 3-4 HRs in the derby should make it for the home team. The other 3 can be the best of the best home run hitters, thats fine, but for the home town, especially those that may only get the All-Star game once every 30-40 years, it's a huge deal for that host team to get some play in these events, it makes the event that much more electric and exciting for everyone envolved when the crowd is that much more pumped about the events...not to mention the memories it creates for those fans that show up to the All-Star game. This is exhibition, it should cater to the host team if at all possible.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -42)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bayside » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:42 pm

J35J wrote:I think it's a great idea to have a hometown participant, if possible. If your participant is Altuve then of course not, or your hometown guy is a starting pitcher, but anyone that's even got a chance at 3-4 HRs in the derby should make it for the home team. The other 3 can be the best of the best home run hitters, thats fine, but for the home town, especially those that may only get the All-Star game once every 30-40 years, it's a huge deal for that host team to get some play in these events

why?

i mean how many actual "fans" of the home team typically pay the money required to attend an allstar game?
the people watching the derby on TV are what really matters, both from a revenue standpoint, and from a fans standpoint
bayside
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -1)

All-Star Break Cheering, Venting, The Derby, & Home Field

Postby lastingsgriller » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:50 pm

I feel like I'm in the minority on this, but I really enjoy the all star game. No matter what you do, you can't ensure a good game. It's one game of baseball with a bunch of all stars. Either team could win 8-0 on any given day.

The fun is in the matchups. Strasburg vs. Hamilton, chapman vs. trout. Etc. etc.. You can't tell me anyone is giving less than 100% in the individual battles at the plate.
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 81)

All-Star Break Cheering, Venting, The Derby, & Home Field

Postby lastingsgriller » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:52 pm

bayside wrote:
J35J wrote:I think it's a great idea to have a hometown participant, if possible. If your participant is Altuve then of course not, or your hometown guy is a starting pitcher, but anyone that's even got a chance at 3-4 HRs in the derby should make it for the home team. The other 3 can be the best of the best home run hitters, thats fine, but for the home town, especially those that may only get the All-Star game once every 30-40 years, it's a huge deal for that host team to get some play in these events

why?

i mean how many actual "fans" of the home team typically pay the money required to attend an allstar game?

Well, judging by the volume of the cano boos, alot.
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 81)

Postby GiantsFan14 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:00 pm

lastingsgriller wrote:I feel like I'm in the minority on this, but I really enjoy the all star game. No matter what you do, you can't ensure a good game. It's one game of baseball with a bunch of all stars. Either team could win 8-0 on any given day.

The fun is in the matchups. Strasburg vs. Hamilton, chapman vs. trout. Etc. etc.. You can't tell me anyone is giving less than 100% in the individual battles at the plate.

Verlander vs Votto was easily the most entertaining match up of the night.
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -57)

Postby benb18a » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:14 pm

silverZ wrote:Did they extend the break for any given reason? I imagine the players are loving it.

I haven't heard why, but since it's four days, it could possibly be to set your rotation to start the second half any which way you want. It would also allow pitchers who pitched an inning or two to get an extra day off in case their team wants to use them that first day back, since obviously many of the AS pitchers are aces for their teams.
1B: Freeman 2B: Craig 3B: Beltre SS: Seager C: Lucroy OF: Granderson, Harper, BJ Up UT: Kipnis, Aoki
BN: Howard, Rizzo, Donaldson
DL: Tulo
Peavy Sale, Valverde, Axford, Greinke, Marcum, Estrada, Capuano, Hughes, Haren

Public Yahoo league 130-67-13 winrar
benb18a
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby J35J » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:25 am

bayside wrote:

why?

the people watching the derby on TV are what really matters, both from a revenue standpoint, and from a fans standpoint

I take it you haven't been apart of an All-Star game in your hometown? If you have, you are probably from New York or LA or something where the All-Star game will be there every 5-10 years and you're almost always guaranteed a premium player or 2 or 3 that is in the All-Star game every year?
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby J35J » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:26 am

J35J wrote:
bayside wrote:

why?

I take it you haven't been apart of an All-Star game in your hometown? If you have, you are probably from New York or LA or something where the All-Star game will be there every 5-10 years and you're almost always guaranteed a premium player or 2 or 3 that is in the All-Star game every year?

Oh, and to be honest, I probably had the same exact mindset as you did until this year.

But seriously, what does it hurt to have 1 out of 8 be a guy from the hometown...it's only ever 1 or 2 guys a year that actually put on a decent showing in the derby anyway...there are ALWAYS guys that disappoint every year in the derby. Would Butler have been more disappointing to watch than Cano, Kemp, McCutchen or CarGo this year? How about the 4 guys the year before that who failed to hit more than 5... Or the 4 guys the year before that who failed to hit more than 5, or the year before that? Hell, in 2005 the top 2 finishers where Bobby Abreu and Pugde Rodriguez, how many people were excited to see those guys in the Derby before it started?
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby kab21 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:04 pm

I went in 2005 and Abreu and Pudge were awesome. There are also a lot of hometown fans that attend the games. It's one of the perks of being a season ticket holder. We qualified by getting the 20 game package for two seasons and it was well worth it.
My website - The World Is Not That Big
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 108)

Postby Tavish » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:41 pm

J35J wrote:But seriously, what does it hurt to have 1 out of 8 be a guy from the hometown...it's only ever 1 or 2 guys a year that actually put on a decent showing in the derby anyway...there are ALWAYS guys that disappoint every year in the derby. Would Butler have been more disappointing to watch than Cano, Kemp, McCutchen or CarGo this year? How about the 4 guys the year before that who failed to hit more than 5... Or the 4 guys the year before that who failed to hit more than 5, or the year before that? Hell, in 2005 the top 2 finishers where Bobby Abreu and Pugde Rodriguez, how many people were excited to see those guys in the Derby before it started?

My favorite part about the entire situation is when you read various Yankee fans talking about how classless it was by Royals fans to boo Cano.

1) Players get booed at every All-Star game. Pretty short term memory if they can't remember some certain Red Sox players being booed in 2008 when the game was in Yankee stadium.

2) It wasn't exactly a vile hatred of Cano that was coming from the fans. It was pretty good-natured ribbing that just grew with each successive out. There is 99.9% chance that this just becomes a running occurrence everytime Cano visits Kaufmann Stadium.

3) Did Butler have a shot to win the Derby? Probably not, but who really cares. It is not like the AL vs NL thing really means squat for the Derby. I'm not even sure when they tried to start turning that part of it into a big deal. Get rid of that garbage and just have 8 guys regardless of league. Pick 7 good HR hitters and 1 hometown guy.
Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -510)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers