News, Notes, & Nonsense:
- Carlos Gonzalez is rumored to have hit not 1, not 2, but 3 different Home Runs in a single game last night. I don't believe it, as it would be the first time this feat had been successfully accomplished in MLB history, and I await ESPN, and other stat providing web sites to fix their statistical error.
- Francisco Liriano continued to be a c**k tease yesterday, like an abusive husband buying his battered wife roses after knocking her around to keep her from leaving. Next time out he allows 7 ER, beats you down, walks the entire ballpark, only to have another Ace-like performance in the middle of June, stringing you along further. It's a vicious cycle, folks.
- Justin Smoak and Jesus Montero combined for 10 RBI and 7 Runs scored in yesterday's drubbing of the Rangers, at the expense of Derek Holland, who looked like Brandon Morrow on a bad day. The similarities between the two go beyond that. Flip a coin and decide whether you're getting a CGSO of a WMD meltdown of self-destruction.
- Don't look now but Dexter Fowler's finally heating up, and not just in his double header the other day. He now has 10 Hits in his last 4 games, including 3 HR, 7 RBI and 8 Runs scored. For impatient owners who dumped him, it may be that time of year where he turns into the guy we all hope he will be each pre-season.
- Brett Lawrie's suspension has apparently lit a fire under his keister. He's hit safely in 8 straight games, finally making a ball leave the park yesterday. Dude needs to throw helmets at umpires more often.
- Lucas Duda smacked two dongs like a boss, cause that's how he gets down. The Duda abides. The Mets still lost, cause, well, they're the Mets.
Only 3 games on the docket...
DET: Scherzer (4-3, 5.67 ERA)
BOS: Beckett (4-4, 4.15 ERA)
HOU: Norris (5-1, 3.34 ERA)
COL: Guthrie (2-3, 5.31 ERA)
MIL: Greinke (5-2, 3.66 ERA)
LAD: Billingsley (2-3, 3.88 ERA)