Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Yovani Gallardo for Michael Bourn? WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Yovani Gallardo for Michael Bourn? WHIR

Postby sixer03fan » Wed May 30, 2012 10:00 am

Yo guys, I was just offered the following trade. Let me know your thoughts:

I trade away: Yovani Gallardo
I receive: Michael Bourn

Why I like the deal - My team has been at the bottom of the league in runs and hits all year, and I have been targeting Bourn for quite some time. He's grown into one of the better leadoff hitters in the game and would provide a lot of help where I am weak. I also have a wealth of starting pitching depth, so losing Gallardo wouldn't be too bad, as I have Verlander, Lester, Darvish, Bumgarner, Beachy, Hellickson, and more to help shield the blow.

Why I dislike the deal - I recently picked up Pagan, who has been on fire, who can help with the areas I have been struggling in. I also have Brett Gardner on the DL, who is due to come back within 2 weeks. Between these two, I have cheap sources already on the team that can provide help with runs, hits, stolen bases, etc. However, I do think Bourn provides me a more dependable and permanent solution for this kind of production, as you never know with Gardner and Pagan, who could easily go cold and play like waiver wire fodder throughout the year. Also, while Gallardo's overall numbers are definitely disappointing thus far, he has been starting to seriously heat up over the last month, and it looks like he's back on track to put together a solid year. To that point, if both Bourn and Gallardo are producing at their expected levels, I value Gallardo over Bourn.

Overall - I'm leaning toward taking the deal... I might be slightly selling low on Gallardo and buying high on Bourn, but it helps me in areas I am currently weak in, while I am giving up a position that I have plenty of depth in not to worry about it too much. I already offered him Bumgarner for Bourn, which was rejected, so he views Gallardo as the better pitcher between the two, by however wide or slight a margin.

For reference, here's my roster...

4 player keeper league, daily transactions
12 team, h2h. YAHOO league.
hits, runs, hr, rbi, avg, stls
wins, k's, era, whip, k/9, saves

c. Jesus Montero
1b. Miguel Cabrera
2b. Michael Young
3b. Aramis Ramirez
ss. Hanley Ramirez
of. Ryan Braun
of. Giancarlo Stanton
of. Raul Ibanez
u. Angel Pagan
DL. Brett Gardner, Ryan Howard

sp. Justin Verlander
sp. Jon Lester
sp. Yovanni Gallardo
sp. Yu Darvish
sp. Madison Bumgarner
sp. Brandon Beachy
sp. Max Scherzer
sp. Jeremy Hellickson
sp. Mat Latos

rp. Rafael Betancourt
rp. Brett Myers
rp. Addison Reed
sixer03fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Yovani Gallardo for Michael Bourn? WHIR

Postby redkanefox2009 » Wed May 30, 2012 11:30 am

Thanks for your help on mine. As you said, you have plenty of depth at SP. Gallardo may be coming around but I think your surrounding cast will support you just fine. If you need to help on offense, then I would say take the deal.
redkanefox2009
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 31)

Postby joeyg2323 » Wed May 30, 2012 11:33 am

i do the trade.

bourn is playing great right now and no signs of slowing down. and it does help a player in a contract year which bourn is in.

you def have the SP to give up and def could use another OF to replace ibanez.

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=447975
"They give you a round bat and they throw you a round ball. And they tell you to hit it square."-Willie Stargell
joeyg2323
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 50)

Postby kaiser » Wed May 30, 2012 11:36 am

Oh yeah, I absolutely do this. You've got the pitching to withstand the loss, and you pick up one of the top lead-off men in the game. Don't heistate to accept.

Can you help with this Pujols deal?
viewtopic.php?t=447973
kaiser
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 171)

Postby sixer03fan » Wed May 30, 2012 11:54 am

Okay, great. Well, I accepted. Thanks for the help guys, I hope it works out! If I haven't responded to your question yet, I will at some point today. I'm at work so I can only poke my head into the site every once in a while.
sixer03fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -1)

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions