Return to Commissioner's Corner

Inactive when do you make the decision?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Inactive when do you make the decision?

Postby Canadian » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:02 am

I love being commish of my leagues. It started because I got screwed over by joining a league with a cheating commish many times before. I have one league where the past 3 years 10 out of 14 have re-joined, i know nobody personally just through chat etc....

I have a rule in place...inactive for 1 month...with no email, message to league and esp non updated team (usually the case)...

I have removed two owners from the league already and Im currently looking at the third...he has been inactive for 3 weeks...I'm a busy man work, family and home etc same old stuff everyone has....

The draft may have been to early March 16th ( Mock draft for most idoits)...

Any thoughts? How do you handle it?
Canadian
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Inactive when do you make the decision?

Postby fast dogs » Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:26 am

you have a DL guy in your active lineup on a Monday, you get an e-mail Tuesday.you don't respond you don't see next Monday. the other members deserve that much
When asking for roster advice in these pages, remember there are thousands of different sets of league rules & many different active roster settings. If you want the best replies, be sure to include your leagues particulars in the original post
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 144)

Postby bigmck » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:19 am

If you have the one month rule, that covers it. If everyone knew this entering the league they have no excuse. I have never had that rule in place, but it is not bad. I like it. Give the guy an email warning with a week to shape up or he is gone.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 22)

Postby dangadd » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:04 pm

fast dogs wrote:you have a DL guy in your active lineup on a Monday, you get an e-mail Tuesday.you don't respond you don't see next Monday. the other members deserve that much

That one seems a bit harsh to me. I'm not a commish. I'm a second year fantasy baseball player. But that's an almost immediate reply needed. I would guess most people have lives to deal with and you have no idea what is going on (unless you know them personally).

Last year I had a holiday (vacation) booked for early on in the season (was over the Easter holidays). I had done everything I could to set a lineup for the 10 days I was going to be unavailable. As it happens Zimmerman (I think it was him) was placed on the DL while I was away - I didn't find out until I logged on to a PC in Spain 6 days later. I was on holiday, I don't check my emails every day (or even at all sometimes) when I'm on holiday.

3 weeks is a different scenario though. Any rules, if they are known at the beginning of the season, are fair enough I think.

Should the time be different in different types of league? A roto league (wich mine was) and a few missed starts by a batter can be caught up over the remainder of the season with some good roster management.

Dan
dangadd
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Canadian » Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:34 am

Thanks for the reply...I don't play roto however i doubt i would change my mindset...

1 week inactive i don't notice myself, 2nd week i begin to wonder...3rd week warnings are out...(I begin to set his roster) and 4th week...i replace...

I understand people have a life and so do i...but one month the league deserves more.
Canadian
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby dangadd » Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:53 am

Canadian,

I'm with you - 3 or 4 weeks is too long and it's unfair of the other league members.

My reply was mainly aimed at fat dogs who said that if you have a guy on the DL in your starting line up and don't reply to an email within a week then you'd be out of his league. I thought that was a bit harsh.

Dan
dangadd
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby bigmck » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:24 am

dangadd wrote:Canadian,

My reply was mainly aimed at fat dogs who said that if you have a guy on the DL in your starting line up and don't reply to an email within a week then you'd be out of his league. I thought that was a bit harsh.

Dan

If a guy has not told the Commish that he will be inactive due to a vacation or what ever it may be, the above seems more than fair to me. If a guy has a DL player in the starting lineup, that means he has not been watching his team. If the Commish gives the guy an email and he has a week to respond and does not, he should be gone. That is being more than fair.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 22)

Return to Commissioner's Corner