Spring Break ends today, so somebody else is going to have to keep this rolling tomorrow...News, Notes & Nonsense...
- The METS, O's, Rays, Tigers and D-Backs all swept their opening series to the tune of an undefeated 3 - 0 start to the season. The quest for a perfect season is still alive in these 5 teams...
- Meanwhile, the Yankees, Red Sox, Twins, Giants, and Braves are all still searching for that elusive first victory. It felt so good typing Yankees and Red Sox first there...
- Miguel Cabrera, Corey Hart, and Jay Bruce have all hit 3 HR in the past 2 days, because it's an impossible feat to send that many balls out of the park in a single day...
- Not only was Christ resurrected yesterday, but so was the Jewish Hammer Ryan Braun, belting his first homer of the season.
- Matt Harrisson threw 7 shutout innings vs the Pale Hose yesterday, and gets to face a pathetic looking Twins offense this upcoming week. I predict his ownership % quintuples by this time next week, as a result.
- Jeff Samardzija came 1 out away from a CG 1 ER effort in his first start of the season, striking out 8 Natinals en route to a victory.
- Clayton Richard showed yet again why he is the ultimate spot start at Petco Park, fanning 3 over 7 shutout innings against the Dodgers.
- Jeremy Hellickson, who many are projecting huge regression from this season, fell just 1 out shy of a CGSO in his first outing against the Yankees. He struck out 4.
- Derek Lowe recorded 15 ground ball outs over 7 scoreless innings against the Blue Jays, notching 1 BB and 1 K.
- Juan Nicasio carried a strong Spring over into an impressive first outing consisting of 7 innings of 1 Run baseball, striking out 4.
- Jon Niese took a no hitter into the 7th innings against the Braves Sunday. Then God remembered the Mets aren't allowed to throw no hitters, and it was promptly broken up.
- The Red Sox bullpen is a mess with both Melancon and Aceves pitching like absolute dog dung, and rumors of Daniel Bard moving back into the pen circulating like crazy. It's a good thing we spent 4 pages in the Closer Thread pissing and moaning over who was the better option between Aceves and Melancon
- Max Scherzer was Scherzer-esque Sunday, allowing 8 Hits over 2.2 innings to the Red Sox, but somehow avoiding taking the Loss due to Clay Buttholes and the aforementioned Sox bullpen being equally terrible.Today's Matchups...
Anibal Sanchez (R) @ Cole Hamels (L) (-160)
Barry Zito (L) @ Jhoulys Chacin (R) (-165)
C.J. Wilson (L) (-170) @ Nick Blackburn (R)
Shaun Marcum (R) (-135) @ Chris Volstad (R)
Chris Sale (L) @ Josh Tomlin (R) (-120)- If I were still a gambling man, I think my money would be on Sale today.
Felix Doubront (L) @ Henderson Alvarez (R) (-125)
Ivan Nova (R) (-160) @ Brian Matusz (L)- We'll see how the Yankees treat the 'Cy Young Candidate' Matusz after starting 0 - 3.
Jake Westbrook (R) @ Homer Bailey (R) (-125)
Edwin Jackson (R) @ Mike Pelfrey (R) (EVEN)
Brandon Beachy (R) (-170) @ J.A. Happ (L)
Hector Noesi (R) @ Yu Darvish (R) (-220)- I'll be tuning in for this. Yu gets a nice lob of a first start against Seattle, and I'm interested to see how he fares.
Luis Mendoza (R) @ Tim Milone (L) (-115)