Adam Wainwright $5
amarlls
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: One last time...Which Keepers WHIR

Postby GiantsFan14 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:29 pm

alex gordon, hudson, pineda, wainwright are all locks. i'd give dee gordon the edge for the last spot but i think it's close.
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -57)

Postby HOOTIE » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:04 am

I would drop Moustakis
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 495)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby BeanTown » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:52 am

HOOTIE wrote:I would drop Moustakis

Agreed.
Easy call, Mous is the guy to drop.

Please help with mine
viewtopic.php?t=441807&start=10
BeanTown
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 2)

Postby kidsilk » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:36 am

Drop Mous for sure.
Kidsilk
kidsilk
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 2114)

Postby MaudDib » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:48 am

Dee Gordon for me. I don't think the guy gets on base enough to get you the steals. Right now I think he is being over-valued. Moustakas might not hit either but even if he struggles he will give you some HR and counting stats where as Dee's only value is SB.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: -31)

Postby MashinSpuds » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:09 am

I would drop Moustakas because Dee Gordon, OBP or not, provides a good fill at a tough position. I would also rather gamble on 30-40 SB then maybe 15-20 HR from Moustakas, who by the way is another Royal. Do you want two Royals on your team (if one of them isn't Butler or Hosmer)?
MashinSpuds
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecaster
(Past Year: 6)

Postby MaudDib » Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:50 pm

MashinSpuds wrote:I would drop Moustakas because Dee Gordon, OBP or not, provides a good fill at a tough position. I would also rather gamble on 30-40 SB then maybe 15-20 HR from Moustakas, who by the way is another Royal. Do you want two Royals on your team (if one of them isn't Butler or Hosmer)?

Having guys on the same team shouldn't matter. You project a player to have certain stats and they should produce those stats unless they get hurt or something changes for them. Have two guys on the same team isn't going to mean you get less from them. The Royals are an up and coming team so they are the exact kind of players to go after. It would be like saying no to Longoria and Crawford when they first came up.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby MashinSpuds » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:07 pm

MaudDib wrote:
MashinSpuds wrote:I would drop Moustakas because Dee Gordon, OBP or not, provides a good fill at a tough position. I would also rather gamble on 30-40 SB then maybe 15-20 HR from Moustakas, who by the way is another Royal. Do you want two Royals on your team (if one of them isn't Butler or Hosmer)?

Having guys on the same team shouldn't matter. You project a player to have certain stats and they should produce those stats unless they get hurt or something changes for them. Have two guys on the same team isn't going to mean you get less from them. The Royals are an up and coming team so they are the exact kind of players to go after. It would be like saying no to Longoria and Crawford when they first came up.

And yet, I would be worried if you had two players depending on another (say, Hosmer) to knock them in. If Hosmer goes down then two players may suffer on your team other than just one. It's just an extra precaution, even if the odds are slim. Diversifying talent on different teams might ease such issues that may arise. Dee Gordon is still the guy to go with here anyway.
MashinSpuds
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecaster
(Past Year: 6)

Postby MaudDib » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:36 pm

MashinSpuds wrote:
MaudDib wrote:

And yet, I would be worried if you had two players depending on another (say, Hosmer) to knock them in. If Hosmer goes down then two players may suffer on your team other than just one. It's just an extra precaution, even if the odds are slim. Diversifying talent on different teams might ease such issues that may arise. Dee Gordon is still the guy to go with here anyway.

I guess we will see if Gordon is worth it. I don't see it. I see a guy that has poor strike zone judgement, doesn't walk and has no power. This seems like a recipe for a guy that won't get on base to steal enough bases to make him worth owning in most leagues either that or the Dodgers will send him down/bench him because of it.

I have seen too many guys with this kind of makeup (maybe not with quite this speed) who just can't cut in the majors because they don't have enough hit tools.

Moustakas has shown improvement at every level including the major league level. He has good strike zone judgement although he doesn't take a walk. He hits a lot of fly balls which should result in an increase in home runs similar to what we saw the last month or two of the season. He does struggle against LHP so there is still some concern but he has the ability to hit 20-30 HR.

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions