Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Keepers - decision time!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Keepers - decision time!

Postby Knights » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:30 pm

16-team 6x6 keeper - extra categories are OPS and L. We keep 6 players, and the OF roster spots are specified as LF/CF/RF.

After unsuccessful attempts to acquire a CF or another SP, I'm left with the roster below to make up my 6 keepers for the upcoming season.

Pedroia, Hanley, Lawrie and Garza are locks, leaving me with 2 keeper spots to make a final decision on.

Through comments left in some of my other posts over the past month, there seems to be an overwhelming consensus that Ike Davis should be my 5th keeper... for some reason I'm still not completely sold, but I'm assuming that consistent suggestion also has part to do with how weak the rest of my oprions are? But shouldn't I still be concerned about Davis' Valley Fever? With Davis and Lawrie both only having a limited number of ABs to gauge them on, is it too risky to keep them both, especially with Davis' current health situation?

And how would you rank my other options?
Carlos Beltran - a solid 2011 season, but always an injury concern these days
Andre Ethier - back-to-back regression seasons, and starting to become an injury concern himself too
Nick Swisher - very consistent over the past number of seasons, and dual (1B/RF) eligibility
Heath Bell/Andrew Bailey - I have a hard time convincing myself to consider keeping a closer, but giving my other options should I be considering it? Heath Bell would probably be the guy over Bailey if I were to go this route.

EDIT: So far it looks like Ike Davis is a lock for everyone, which give me 5 keepers for sure. The last spot seems split between Beltran and Swisher... so I'd like to get some more feedback to make my final decision. Beltran seems to have higher 'potential' but is always an injury risk, whereas Swisher has been a steady 150 game/year player with 25-30 HR, 80-85 RBI and a good OPS for several years. As a keeper, theis makes me want to go with Swisher because he seems to have a better chance to play a full season. But if I'm keeping Ike Davis as well, that's 2 of my 6 keepers with 1B eligibility. But is that a good or a bad thing? As at least Swisher is also eligible in RF, so depending on which players other teams throuw back into the pot and how my draft progresses I could either move forward with these guys as my starting and backup 1B or my 1B and RF.

Any final words of advise would be greatly appreciated!!!

Hitters
John Jaso C
Nick Swisher 1B/RF
James Loney 1B
Ike Davis 1B
Dustin Pedroia 2B
Neil Walker 2B
Brett Lawrie 3B
Hanley Ramírez SS
Delmon Young LF
Johnny Damon LF
Grady Sizemore CF
Dexter Fowler CF
Carlos Beltrán RF
Andre Ethier RF

Pitching
Matt Garza SP
Jake Peavy SP
Freddy García SP
J.A. Happ SP
Jason Vargas SP
Daisuke Matsuzaka SP
Andrew Bailey RP
Heath Bell RP
Jason Motte RP
Tyler Clippard RP
Frank Francisco RP
Last edited by Knights on Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Knights
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Response Team
(Past Year: 82)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Keepers - decision time!

Postby GiantsFan14 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:33 pm

swisher and bell. not a fan of the other options.
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -57)

Postby jtsandwich » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:47 pm

Bell and Ike is what I think I would do
jtsandwich
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 47)

Postby GiantsFan14 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:49 pm

jtsandwich wrote:Bell and Ike is what I think I would do

oops, didn't even see the other options. i'd go swisher and ike.
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -57)

Postby k.k. » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:50 pm

I don't think Lawrie's limited number of ABs is anything to worry about. He's off to a great start this spring already.
Not a fan of Swisher at all.
~
k.k.
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Element » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:06 pm

Ike and Swisher
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 28)

Postby MaudDib » Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:12 pm

Ike and Beltran. I think he could have a pretty good year in StL.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: -31)

Postby onitapgr » Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:01 pm

Ike and Beltran
onitapgr
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Knights » Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:13 pm

EDIT: So far it looks like Ike Davis is a lock for everyone, which give me 5 keepers for sure. The last spot seems split between Beltran and Swisher... so I'd like to get some more feedback to make my final decision. Beltran seems to have higher 'potential' but is always an injury risk, whereas Swisher has been a steady 150 game/year player with 25-30 HR, 80-85 RBI and a good OPS for several years. As a keeper, theis makes me want to go with Swisher because he seems to have a better chance to play a full season. But if I'm keeping Ike Davis as well, that's 2 of my 6 keepers with 1B eligibility. But is that a good or a bad thing? As at least Swisher is also eligible in RF, so depending on which players other teams throuw back into the pot and how my draft progresses I could either move forward with these guys as my starting and backup 1B or my 1B and RF.

Any final words of advise would be greatly appreciated!!!
Knights
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Response Team
(Past Year: 82)

Next

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions