Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Crazy Custom H2H Points League

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby bcody » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:07 pm

So, my draft is this Saturday and I'm wanting to run a few things by you guys and make sure that I'm not committing fantasy suicide here.

It's a 14 team Yahoo H2H points league. Snake Draft.

Here are the points breakdown.

Hitting
R - 1
HR - 3
RBI - 1
SH - 1
SF - 1
SB - 2
BB - 1
IBB - 1
TB - 1
CYC - 5
SLAM - 5

Pitching:
IP - 1
W - 7
CG - 10
SHO- 5
SV - 10
ER - -1
K - 1
NH - 5
PG - 5
QS - 7

League Setup
C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, CI, MI, OF, OF, OF, OF, OF, Util, Util, Util
SP, SP, SP, SP, SP, RP, RP, P, P, P, P, BN, BN, BN, BN, DL, DL, DL

Is it me, or am I drafting pitchers first? Especially closer's. I'm thinking of drafting all pitchers first til I run out of slots for them.

Am I committing fantasy suicide doing this?
bcody
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

(Past Year: -12)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Crazy Custom H2H Points League

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:01 pm

bcody wrote:Is it me, or am I drafting pitchers first? Especially closer's. I'm thinking of drafting all pitchers first til I run out of slots for them.

Especially closers, yes. That is a very bad idea.

I'd stack up on HR hitters and strikeout pitchers.

Quick calculation based on that scoring system using 2011 stats shows
Verlander =853
M-Cab = 780 might be more but I couldn't find any GS for 2011
Kimbrel = 674
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -946)

Postby Urban Cohorts » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:03 pm

bcody wrote:Is it me, or am I drafting pitchers first? Especially closer's. I'm thinking of drafting all pitchers first til I run out of slots for them.

Looking at things (and I may be wrong here) it seems like pitchers would be the way to go first. Elite SP and then Power Hitters are my top priorities here.

Power hitters look like the way to go for hitting. Guys like Miggy, Votto, and Prince- people who walk a lot and hit HR's. A HR in your league would be worth 8 points (4 for the HR and 4 total base points), no? If so, power hitters will be extremely valuable.

I would place a HEAVY emphasis on top tier, workhorse starters with good hitting behind them, as they will help- (W - 7, CG - 10, QS - 7). All the other stats (like CG and No Hitters) are hard to account for, but guys who pitch deep into games will be the most apt to get these. And with no penalty for losses, and a minor penalty for an ER, workhorse starters on good teams will score massively.

Guys like CC, Halladay, Lee, Lester, Haren, Weaver, Beckett, and Hamels should absolutely RAKE. Essentially any above average pitcher, who is on a winning team, and can pitch deep into games. Guys like Felix Hernandez (elite pitcher, crappy team) will be extremely valuable too, but I'd prefer the CC type.

High strikeout closers with job security would be my third priority, though not necessarily at the expense of hitters. I would try to get two of them, maybe a third but not reach.

I think I would try to fill every P spot with a starter and monitor closers' status daily and vulture save guys.
Urban Cohorts
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -19)

Postby bcody » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:05 pm

If you don't mind, what did you use to calculate points from last year per these scoring?
bcody
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:15 pm

bcody wrote:If you don't mind, what did you use to calculate points from last year per these scoring?

I just picked who I considered to be the top SP, RP and hitter from last year and threw their stats into a spreadsheet. I'm sure if you wanted a full list you could find some program to calculate it for you.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -946)

Postby bcody » Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:14 pm

Thanks for the info fellas.. I can definitely see picking my first few picks as SP and a big stick mixed in when available. I hope that it goes well, as this league is filled with smack talk. ;-D
bcody
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby RogerThat » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:16 pm

Verlander and Halladay likely top 2 players given they pitch more cg than other pitchers
A complete game shutout would net huge points
RogerThat
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 8)

Postby bcody » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:53 am

Ok.. I need some type of program/spreadsheet where I can find out how many points each player earned last year using this scoring format...

Can anyone point me in the right direction?
bcody
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby thecubsyear » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:23 pm

bcody wrote:Ok.. I need some type of program/spreadsheet where I can find out how many points each player earned last year using this scoring format...

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Microsoft Excel? Get some projections you like, copy, paste special as unicode text, then write a formula like "=SV*10", then sum them up using the SUM function in the final column.

5 points for hitting for the cycle. Hmm, how melancholy.
thecubsyear
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Beeblebrox » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:42 pm

Urban Cohorts wrote:Power hitters look like the way to go for hitting. Guys like Miggy, Votto, and Prince- people who walk a lot and hit HR's. A HR in your league would be worth 8 points (4 for the HR and 4 total base points), no? If so, power hitters will be extremely valuable.

I count 9. 3 for the HR, 4 for the TB's, 1 for the R, and another 1 for the RBI (obviously with more guys on, this number would increase)

A grand slam looks to be worth a total of 17 points, with the extra 5 tacked onto everything else.

I would place a HEAVY emphasis on top tier, workhorse starters with good hitting behind them, as they will help- (W - 7, CG - 10, QS - 7). All the other stats (like CG and No Hitters) are hard to account for, but guys who pitch deep into games will be the most apt to get these. And with no penalty for losses, and a minor penalty for an ER, workhorse starters on good teams will score massively.

Guys like CC, Halladay, Lee, Lester, Haren, Weaver, Beckett, and Hamels should absolutely RAKE. Essentially any above average pitcher, who is on a winning team, and can pitch deep into games. Guys like Felix Hernandez (elite pitcher, crappy team) will be extremely valuable too, but I'd prefer the CC type.

Indeed. Guys that will reach that 200 IP mark should be gold in this league, since that's 200 points right there. Halladay is probably a top 3 pick with this sort of scoring.

If you are using SP & RP spots, definitely target starters that will qualify as relievers, so you can maximize your pitching slots. Guys like Sale, Bard, and Feliz will likely outscore even elite closers.
Beeblebrox
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 6)

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions