Return to Baseball Leftovers

Top 100 SP Rankings

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Top 100 SP Rankings

Postby Tavish » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:57 pm

Even LaLoosh knew better than Shields.

Crash Davis: Did you hit me with your right hand or did you hit me with your left? Huh? Did you hit me with your right hand or did you hit me with your LEFT?
Ebby Calvin LaLoosh: My left.
Crash Davis: Good! That's good; when you get in a fight with a drunk you don't hit him with your pitching hand. God, I can't keep giving you these free lessons so quit screwin' around and help me up.
Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -510)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby rotoquest » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:18 pm

Tavish wrote:Even LaLoosh knew better than Shields.

Crash Davis: Did you hit me with your right hand or did you hit me with your left? Huh? Did you hit me with your right hand or did you hit me with your LEFT?
Ebby Calvin LaLoosh: My left.
Crash Davis: Good! That's good; when you get in a fight with a drunk you don't hit him with your pitching hand. God, I can't keep giving you these free lessons so quit screwin' around and help me up.

That was funny. I remember that. :-D

Also, if you take careful notice of the fight between Shields and Coco Crisp, you will notice that even Coco has a better change-up than shields. :-)
rotoquest
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 24)

Postby Garry26 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:21 pm

Note: You missed one (posted at bottom of post)

Up to # 30 or so the pitchers are all strike out guys, and there isn't much of a talent drop off, so aside from injuries, and one-year wonder concerns, it's all good. So up to then the ranking positions don't matter that much. Its the pitchers after that, that matter really.

The top 7 are the top aces, Grienke to Gallardo are the others. Then you start to wonder a bit.
Is Strausburg ok? Is Bumgarner the real deal? Has Kennedy really emerged or were the Yanks right to toss him? CJ Wilson was an ok fantasy SP but not this good. Is he a one-year wonder? Doesnt Shields look like a one-year wonder? Will Darvish be the 2nd tier ace hes billed to be?

After Gio Gonzales and all the way to Romero, my questions turn to more pressing concerns. Chief amoung them, Wainwright

However, after that point, is where I think people will make their money. Nailing the great SPs out of the rest is what will decide many things because by now the draft is winding down.

I think you missed one:
Hisashi Iwakuma- Just checking wikipedia and looking up his stats should show you that he's definately a top 100 SP. He's not Darvish (according to hype), or what Matsuzaka was before he got hurt, but he's definately good and better than many low 100 SPs for sure.
I love mock drafts.
Garry26
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 36)

Postby rotoquest » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:44 pm

Garry26 wrote:Note: You missed one (posted at bottom of post)

Up to # 30 or so the pitchers are all strike out guys, and there isn't much of a talent drop off, so aside from injuries, and one-year wonder concerns, it's all good. So up to then the ranking positions don't matter that much. Its the pitchers after that, that matter really.

The top 7 are the top aces, Grienke to Gallardo are the others. Then you start to wonder a bit.
Is Strausburg ok? Is Bumgarner the real deal? Has Kennedy really emerged or were the Yanks right to toss him? CJ Wilson was an ok fantasy SP but not this good. Is he a one-year wonder? Doesnt Shields look like a one-year wonder? Will Darvish be the 2nd tier ace hes billed to be?

After Gio Gonzales and all the way to Romero, my questions turn to more pressing concerns. Chief amoung them, Wainwright

However, after that point, is where I think people will make their money. Nailing the great SPs out of the rest is what will decide many things because by now the draft is winding down.

I think you missed one:
Hisashi Iwakuma- Just checking wikipedia and looking up his stats should show you that he's definately a top 100 SP. He's not Darvish (according to hype), or what Matsuzaka was before he got hurt, but he's definately good and better than many low 100 SPs for sure.

Nice feedback and thanks for sharing your thoughts. Moreover, you might be right about Hisashi Iwakuma, but I can't drink the kool-aid yet until the reports on his shoulder start to come in during spring training.
rotoquest
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby Garry26 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:22 pm

Yes the reason he hasnt gotten any hype is because even if he's good, hes just a run-of-the-mill good pitcher. Not an ace.

I think the reason for it is because there are still fantasy players that don't know about him. So it lets me grab another stud instead of an SP earlier on, and then grab Darvish later. Pity Iwamura isn't nearly as good (supposedly). If I target him, the advantage I will parlay won't be nearly as good.
I love mock drafts.
Garry26
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 36)

Postby MasterX1918 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:41 pm

what do you think about Jacob Turner?
MasterX1918
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: -10)

Postby rotoquest » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:53 pm

MasterX1918 wrote:what do you think about Jacob Turner?

I think he is a work in progress, and I hope Detroit doesn't rush him like they did Porcello.
rotoquest
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby Scooter1027 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:12 am

Agree with the opinion that Grienke can/should win more like 15-16. The potential for Brauny missing 50 hurts, but there's still offense with A-Ram, Hart, and Weeks, and the defense should be improved (Gonzalez being significantly better than Betancourt, Gamel likely being better than Fielder, and hopefully full seasons of quality outfield defense by Gomez, Morgan, and Aoki). Give Zach a full healthy season this year, toss in a shut down duo in the 8th/9th (K-Rod and the Ax Man), and there still should be wins to be had.

I think I'm more on board with avoiding the Wainwright/Johnson duo unless they slip too far. There are just so many interesting SP targets here, I don't see a real need to chase those two, particularly Johnson.
Scooter1027
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -3)

Postby hot4tx » Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:31 pm

CJ Wilson was an ok fantasy SP but not this good. Is he a one-year wonder?

CJ's had two very good 200+ IP seasons in a row now. He's always had talent, but picked too much (still does some times) and got behind too much or gave too many free passes. I wouldn't expect a sub-3 ERA again, but he's moving to a much better home park in the same division (though this means he'll get to face the Rangers lineup instead of the Angels lineup) so I don't see why he can't continue to be a low-mid 3's ERA, 1.20 WHIP guy with a touch under 8 k/9.
hot4tx
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 72)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers