Return to Cafe Hall of Fame

2012 CLOSERS THREAD (1ST HALF)

Re: 2012 CLOSERS THREAD (1ST HALF)

Postby Havok1517 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:16 am

Ender wrote:
AngryMonkey wrote:I think it's Fuentes' job to lose at this point. Balfour has better stuff, but Fuentes has more experience and will probably get first crack. I'm looking at him for a last round pick with potentially great value.

Yeah I'd be surprised if it isn't Fuentes early and if he holds the job long enough and De Los Santos pitches well it passes over Balfour to him. If Fuentes coughs it up in April or May or even March by pitching horribly then I think Balfour gets the job and just keeps it.

Keep in mind, that if the A's intend to use Fuentes as closer, they must add/find a quality lefty to replace Fuentes in setup duty.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 21)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby AussieDodger » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:40 am

Havok1517 wrote:
Ender wrote:
AngryMonkey wrote:I think it's Fuentes' job to lose at this point. Balfour has better stuff, but Fuentes has more experience and will probably get first crack. I'm looking at him for a last round pick with potentially great value.

Yeah I'd be surprised if it isn't Fuentes early and if he holds the job long enough and De Los Santos pitches well it passes over Balfour to him. If Fuentes coughs it up in April or May or even March by pitching horribly then I think Balfour gets the job and just keeps it.

Keep in mind, that if the A's intend to use Fuentes as closer, they must add/find a quality lefty to replace Fuentes in setup duty.

J.Blevins is decent (and cheap)
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -37)

Postby Havok1517 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:17 am

AussieDodger wrote:
Havok1517 wrote:
Ender wrote:

J.Blevins is decent (and cheap)

I did say quality, right? jk He's fairy unproven in high pressure situations and has only pitched more than 30 innings during a season once. Maybe if he had a great ST but he's not someone I'd want to lean on at this point. Mike Gonzalez???
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 21)

Postby Syfo-Dyas » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:43 am

Havok1517 wrote:
Ender wrote:

Athletics manager Bob Melvin indicated to reporters Monday that Fautino De Los Santos is not being considered for the team's ninth-inning opening.
"He’s a guy that has the ceiling to close at some point," said Melvin. "I don’t know that it’s now."
the awesome sig by soty

"You should be mindful of the future, but not at the expense of the
moment." - Qui-Gon Jinn (keeper league expert?)
Syfo-Dyas
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -6)

Postby silverZ » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:31 am

I still think Balfour will end up with the gig. People sometimes forget how much Fuentes sucks now. He's not the same guy who saved 45+ games for the Angels a few years ago. It's a long shot he has a k/9 over 7 at this point of his career. I don't think he has enough of a track record to get the Todd Jones treatment either.

2011 stats.

Fuentes vs LHB - 3.51 FIP
Fuentes vs RHB - 4.51 FIP

Balfour vs LHB - 3.34 FIP
Balfour vs RHB - 4.23 FIP

The K rates are heavily in Balfour's favour as well.
Here's the pitch on the way, a swing and a belt! Left field! Way back! BLUE JAYS WIN!
silverZ
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 48)

Postby Frenchiegangsta9 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:47 am

Is anyone considering Joey Devine as a possible closer candidate? Or is it pretty much down to just Balfour and Fuentes...
Frenchiegangsta9
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 5)

Postby tms298 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:53 pm

Is it me or does it seem like we have unprecedented visibility in the closer ranks to start the year? I am not one that likes to spend high picks on closers, and as a result I usually end up with 3 or 4 guys with :-o next to their name on the front page. This year I only see three of those guys in the entire league! Usually I pay a premium to get a guy at the :-° level, but this year it looks like 90% of the teams have their closer at that level or better. I imagine top flight closers who in the past were valuable because of their job security would be devalued this year.
tms298
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 6)

Postby RPDfire007 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:06 pm

What are you guys thinking about Wilson health coming into this season?

Help me: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=441048
RPDfire007
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 5)

Postby silverZ » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:11 am

Frenchiegangsta9 wrote:Is anyone considering Joey Devine as a possible closer candidate? Or is it pretty much down to just Balfour and Fuentes...

Not at the moment. I assume the A's will try to pump up Balfour/Fuentes' trade value first. Devine's arm is still too fragile to be counted on for full time closer duties anyway.
Here's the pitch on the way, a swing and a belt! Left field! Way back! BLUE JAYS WIN!
silverZ
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 48)

Postby Element » Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:31 pm

silverZ wrote:
Frenchiegangsta9 wrote:Is anyone considering Joey Devine as a possible closer candidate? Or is it pretty much down to just Balfour and Fuentes...

Not at the moment. I assume the A's will try to pump up Balfour/Fuentes' trade value first. Devine's arm is still too fragile to be counted on for full time closer duties anyway.

Closer's generally pitch less innings than the middle guys. It's actually a good position to monitor a player's workload.
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 28)

PreviousNext

Return to Cafe Hall of Fame