Return to Baseball Leftovers

Josh Hamilton, drinking

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Josh Hamilton, drinking

Postby SpecialFNK » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:21 pm

rotoworld.
According to Gerry Fraley of the Dallas Morning News, Rangers outfielder Josh Hamilton was spotted drinking alcohol on Monday night at a bar in the DFW area.
What he drink and how much is currently unclear. Hamilton, a recovering addict, is supposed to remain completely sober as part of a pledge he's made to his family and the Rangers organization. A Rangers spokesman said in a statement to the Dallas Morning News that the team is "aware of a situation" but not ready to make a comment.

interesting.
could be news, or it could be nothing at all. but a former alcoholic drinking could end up being big news, especially for a player like Hamilton.
SpecialFNK
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 38)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Josh Hamilton, drinking

Postby GiantsFan14 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:23 pm

shouldn't he have an accountabilibuddy?
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -57)

Postby SpecialFNK » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:24 pm

http://rangersblog.dallasnews.com/archi ... ton-h.html
Sources: Rangers' Josh Hamilton has relapse with alcohol at area bar
By
Gerry Fraley / Reporter

gfraley@dallasnews.com | Bio

7:13 PM on Thu., Feb. 2, 2012 | Permalink

Rangers outfielder Josh Hamilton, recovering from alcohol and drug addictions, had a relapse this week in his quest to remain sober.

According to individuals familiar with the episode, Hamilton drank alcohol on Monday night in an area bar. The circumstances that led to Hamilton's use of alcohol could not be determined.

In a statement, the Rangers said they were ``aware of a situation, but we don't have further comment at this time.''

This was Hamilton's second alcohol-related relapse in just over three years. In January, 2009, he drank to excess in a bar in Tempe, Ariz.

A day after that episode, Hamilton informed his family, the Rangers and Major League Baseball of what he had done. He passed a drug test that day and later participated in a MLB-mandated counseling program.

Hamilton, the American League Most Valuable Player in 2010, can become a free agent after this season and has said he will stop negotiations on an extension when he reports to spring training. It was not known how this incident will affect the Rangers' desire to work out a long-term extension with Hamilton.

Hamilton, 31, was suspended for more than three years for drug and alcohol use while in the Tampa Bay organization. He missed the entire 2004-05 seasons, returning late in '06 with a minor-league club.

During the American League division series with the Rays last fall, Hamilton personally apologized to several members of the Rays' organization for his behavior.

``They put a lot of time and effort into me,'' said Hamilton, taken by the Rays with the first overall pick in the 1999 draft.

Hamilton has said he has been sober since October, 2005, at the request of his grandmother, Mary Holt. He is tested for drug use three times a week.
After the episode in Tempe, Hamilton said he had a deeper appreciation of the dangers of alcohol.

``I got away from the one thing that kept me on the straight and narrow and that was my relationship with the Lord,'' Hamilton said. ``That should always come first. Hopefully some good will come out of this.

``It just crossed my mind that night, 'Can I have a drink?' Obviously I can't and this reinforces that. Since that night, I have not had another thought like that. I know it's something I shouldn't do because it leads to other things.''

Since breaking into the majors in 2007 with Cincinnati, Hamilton has had former amateur coach Johnny Narron as an ``accountability partner.'' Narron followed Hamilton to the Rangers and filled a dual role as assistant batting coach.

Narron left the club after last season to become Milwaukee's hitting coach. The Rangers were going to use Hamilton's father-in-law, Michael Dean Chadwick, in the role, but he decided against it because of family matters.

Hamilton endured a difficult stretch last summer. On July 7, during a game at Rangers Ballpark in Arlington, he flipped a foul ball toward the left-field bleacher seats. A spectator, firefighter Shannon Stone of Brownwood, Texas, lost his balance reaching for the baseball and tumbled to his death as his son, Cooper, watched. Hamilton has developed a relationship with the Stone family.
SpecialFNK
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 38)

Postby bigken117 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:03 pm

big issue to his personal life

non issue to his fantasy value
http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/E/Jacoby-Ellsbury.shtml
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=24
http://twitter.com/#!/baseballcafe
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Fantasy-Baseball-Cafe/117034715055181?sk=wall
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -1076)

Postby BronXBombers51 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:23 am

bigken117 wrote:big issue to his personal life

If it becomes a big enough issue in his personal life then it certainly affects his fantasy value. Just sayin'. Hope the dude is ok though.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -297)

Postby AussieDodger » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:10 am

On one hand (having grown up in a family of alcoholics) I feel for him, but after "certain interviews" I've seen him give (e.g home run derby a couple years ago), my main response is LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
OLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Probably 30% of A and 70% of B. ;-7 (Yes I'm that guy)

On topic:
If the Rangers decide he's not living up to his side of the bargain and trade him, I want no part of him in fantasy.
He's an unstoppable beast in that park, when healthy.
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -37)

Postby TopChuckie » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:51 am

It may turn out to be a non-issue to his fantasy value, but I'd say it's way too early to make that determination. Ask the Rays if his substance abuse was a non-issue on the field, it cost them a future MVP. It really all depends on how much control of it he lost/is losing and what he will need to do to regain control of it, and also what the Rangers feel they need to do with him as a result. If I owned him, I wouldn't simply dismiss this as no concern.

You contradict yourself because any big issue in one's personal life, which you acknowledge it to be, can have an effect on one's professional life.
TopChuckie
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 10)

Postby Garry26 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:05 am

If he is an alcoholic then it is a full on relapse because even 1 drink is a no-no.
However, if it does not affect his play, its of no concern to the fantasy enthusiast.

Sorry to be callous.
I love mock drafts.
Garry26
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 36)

Postby Inukchuk » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:03 pm

I don't know about that. Remember Miggy's DUI last spring and how badly it affected his fantasy season?

Oh wait...
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -13)
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Postby bigh0rt » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:04 pm

Inukchuk wrote:

I don't know about that. Remember Miggy's DUI last spring and how badly it affected his fantasy season?

Oh wait...
Apples and oranges.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 376)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers