Return to Baseball Leftovers

When does Yahoo Launch?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: When does Yahoo Launch?

Postby GiantsFan14 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:22 pm

It's probably not possible to do with code, but I think the best way to go about it would be to look at what he was used as in the minors and what his projected role is to be in the majors and make the best possible decision based on those two things. In Moore's last four years in the minors he did nothing but start. He's going to be in the starting rotation this year and a few relief appearances as a September call-up should not change the fact that he's a starter.

I realize this is a complicated issue, but it seems pretty clear-cut that at least in this situation that Moore should have SP eligibility.

The other pitchers aren't nearly as important, but they all were primarily starting pitchers in the minors, and they should retain that eligibility since their sample of major league games was so small last year.
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -57)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Syfo-Dyas » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:58 pm

Fantasy Sports Genie wrote:So yeah... I now understand exactly how this happens, but we'll need to have a discussion here about whether it is really the best way to handle this situation. Moore started twice last year, and pitched in relief 3 times. So for the record, if we followed the flow described without this weird 'P' angle on it, he'd qualify at RP and not SP, but that might still be better than just P. But we look and say:
- He didn't qualify at any positions last year
- Last year he played SP twice, RP three times, and P 5 times. So I guess he's a P.

You included postseason. 8-o
Does postseason app count?
the awesome sig by soty

"You should be mindful of the future, but not at the expense of the
moment." - Qui-Gon Jinn (keeper league expert?)
Syfo-Dyas
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -6)

Postby Syfo-Dyas » Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:14 pm

GiantsFan14 wrote:It's probably not possible to do with code, ...

Why not?
Im not good at programming, actually I don't know how to do it, but I dont think it should be impossible.

Code: Select all
If SP app>=3 and RP app>=5  than
SP,RP
else
If SP app>=3 and RP app<5  than
SP
else
If SP app<3 and RP app>=5  than
RP
else
If SP plus RP app <7 and >0 than
find highest
else
'call your sys admin ASAP'
end

I know it's not that simple but, but I just don't see that it's impossible.
the awesome sig by soty

"You should be mindful of the future, but not at the expense of the
moment." - Qui-Gon Jinn (keeper league expert?)
Syfo-Dyas
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -6)

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:20 pm

Syfo-Dyas wrote:
GiantsFan14 wrote:It's probably not possible to do with code, ...

Why not?
Im not good at programming, actually I don't know how to do it, but I dont think it should be impossible.

Code: Select all
If SP app>=3 and RP app>=5  than
SP,RP
else
If SP app>=3 and RP app<5  than
SP
else
If SP app<3 and RP app>=5  than
RP
else
If SP plus RP app <7 and >0 than
find highest
else
'call your sys admin ASAP'
end

I know it's not that simple but, but I just don't see that it's impossible.

That is close to what it does now, but not what he was suggesting. His was suggesting looking at minor league data (which we don't have available), look at his projected role in the majors (which we don't have available), and somehow programmatically use that data to come up with the right answer, presumably even in the face of them conflicting.

It is likely that the resolution is going to be to take the 6 pitchers in question and give them eligibility based on the rules as they were intended to work. That would mean that Moore in particular would get RP eligibility. Which in this case we can subjectively say isn't as accurate as if we gifted him SP, but if we want to continue to be consistent and rule-based, which we do, it is the consistent thing to do. And it will enable him to be drafted in leagues that have SP and RP but no P slots.
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 22)

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:52 pm

Genie,

I would definitely suggest making it such that a player is unable to start out with just a 'P' eligibility. May you draw some flack over whether a guy gets SP versus RP eligibility? Yes. However, I see that flack being miniscule compared to owners who don't have the aforementioned player available in their player pool, leaving it to waivers to work out the mess. However you decide to create the rule (and I, unlike some, absolutely love that you at Yahoo! have absolutes, and don't leave yourselves open to the discrepancies that come with interpretation and the possible inconsistency, as you mentioned), make it so that these players either end up a SP or a RP and go with it. If that means Matt Moore starts as a RP this year instead of a SP, because he had more relief appearances last year than starts, so be it. It doesn't matter what we think Moore is slated to do this year. You have the data to back the designation and that's that. Having the player be unavailable in certain leagues, though, I think is a major problem.

Good luck. ;-D
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 376)

Postby GiantsFan14 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:56 pm

bigh0rt wrote:Having the player be unavailable in certain leagues, though, I think is a major problem.

this is definitely the main issue. at the very least he has to be draft eligibile in all leagues.
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -57)

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:02 pm

GiantsFan14 wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:Having the player be unavailable in certain leagues, though, I think is a major problem.

this is definitely the main issue. at the very least he has to be draft eligibile in all leagues.

He still won't be draftable in leagues without RP slots ;-) But yes, that is the idea here. I think we're going to fix these 6 guys now, and we have a task filed to fix the underlying code for future seasons.
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby MorseOverTaveras » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:03 pm

So I see that you can now pin important messages to the top in the message board. But how exactly do I go about doing this?
MorseOverTaveras
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 14)

Postby bayside » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:59 am

Syfo - sorry i came off a little harsh. i wasnt intending to direct my criticism at you. i do appreciate that you explained things. i was disagreeing with the way yahoo had set it up, and didnt mean to sound like i was saying your explanation was flawed. :-)

Genie - thanks for looking into this! as always appreciate the time you put into this site on top of your normal workload ;-D

Im with bigh0rt on this one... i think a pitcher should always be draft eligible with at minimum either SP or RP (using whatever criteria you feel best to determine which one/both), but never "P" only.
i guess it only became an issue because Moore is such a hyped prospect and his MLB debut was timed just right to set this off, but fixing it now will make for many happy customers.
keep up the good work!
bayside
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -1)

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:48 pm

MorseOverTaveras wrote:So I see that you can now pin important messages to the top in the message board. But how exactly do I go about doing this?

When you look at the list of messages for your message board, there are little pushpins next to the topics. Clicking on that pushpin stickies the topic. I believe only the commish can do so.
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers