Return to Baseball Leftovers

2011-2012 MLB Offseason

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2011-2012 MLB Offseason

Postby kab21 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:54 am

Niffoc4 wrote:Undoubtedly true that his fantasy value goes up moving to the national league, what I'm saying is he'll get a lot of (non-fantasy related) negative press because of the crazy contract, and that MAY affect perceptions of him by some drafters.

I'm not saying it should, I'm just saying it might. I'm especially thinking of NL-Only leagues with players who don't also do mixed leagues.

Papelbon has had a negative perception for several years and last year despite a lot of people expecting Bard to challenge for the closer role Papelbon cracked the top 100. I think he'll get drafted a tad higher this year. I'll definitely take him as my first closer in the 80's/90's.
My website - The World Is Not That Big
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 108)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Syfo-Dyas » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:54 am

bigh0rt wrote:
Syfo-Dyas wrote:8- Heath Bell, RP: Toronto (huge need)

There's a laundry list of things the Blue Jays need to be a good baseball team before a guy to pitch the 9th inning.

what do you mean?

Skin Blues wrote:Yeah it's amazing that everybody in Toronto thinks a closer is the biggest concern this offseason. How about a first baseman? Or a left fielder? Second baseman? Starting pitcher? Nobody needs a closer. What they need is Prince Fielder and Yu Darvish }:-) C'mon Rogers, spend some of that money you've been pilfering from us for the past decade.

You want a quick fix for a zillion dollars?
The way I see it they can not afford Fielder or Pujols. So they cant fix 1b.
BTW the Jays were 6th in runs, so the hitting seems ok.
The rotation is clearly a mess after Romero, but theres no SP in this years free agent class who would make that much of an impact.
Darvish is really what the Blue Jays need?
A possible Matsuzaka v2.0? If he busts, that would cripple the Jays more than the Yankees or Bosox.

What they should do is go step by step, and what they can fix right now is the 9th inning.
By signing Bell they would stabilize the bullpen that ranked 29th in Save%. They might not improve in 2012 cause you need to get to the 9th inning with a lead, but the 2013 FA class for Starting pitching is much better than this years:
Cain, Hamels, Greinke, Shields (if option declined), etc...
so they can sign an impact free agent SP next year, plus sign another mid level SP, and they should be able to compete.
Especially if realignment coming.
But if you sign an impact starter next offseason, and you cant find a closer as good as Bell and your save% will be less than 60% than you wont compete.
My 2 cents.
the awesome sig by soty

"You should be mindful of the future, but not at the expense of the
moment." - Qui-Gon Jinn (keeper league expert?)
Syfo-Dyas
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -6)

Postby Skin Blues » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:53 pm

Future FA crops always look better because the players haven't re-upped with their own teams yet. Darvish is much better than Daisuke ever was, and is also younger than he was when he came from Japan. Of course it's a risk, but you can't play it safe all the time.

As for Pujols/Fielder, what makes them more of a quick fix than any other FA signing? Because they're better and they can fix more? haha. They can afford those two. They've been averse to spending in FA versus other avenues like extending contracts, trades and draft/international, but they would be within their budget if they signed one of those two. The team president, Paul Beeston, has already said that "$140 to $150M in MLB salaries would be supported, and is the direction we're headed to". He was asked to clarify, and reiterated the same thing a couple months ago. They've had the highest payroll in abseball before, for a few years. The city can support it and the ownership has more than enough money to do it.

Signing Heath Bell, who is old, overweight, and used to pitching in the NL West in the best pitching park in baseball against late-inning fodder resulting from double switches and pinch hitters, is not a wise move. Relievers do not age well, and his physique doesn't convince me he'll buck the trend. He's about the last player I would want the Jays to sign. I'd let somebody else overpay for his swan song, thankyouverymuch. And this is all beside the fact that "established closers" are immensely overpriced in general, even the great, relatively young ones like Papelbon.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 82)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:33 pm

590 the fan in St. Louis is reporting the Cardinals have resigned Pujols. Press conference scheduled for friday. I haven't seen these confirmed anywhere else though.

Nevermind: Mozeliak just called in and said it isn't true.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -946)

Postby StlSluggers » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:08 am

Cubs Pursuing Albert Pujols & Prince Fielder

The Cubs are pursuing both Albert Pujols and Prince Fielder, according to Ken Rosenthal and Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports. The Cubs like Pujols’ defense and are more willing to sign him to a long-term deal, even though Fielder’s three years younger.

The Cubs intend to rebuild, but they’re interested in signing one of the free agent first basemen, partly because they don’t expect many of baseball’s best hitters to hit the open market in upcoming offseasons. The Dodgers just locked up Matt Kemp and extensions for Josh Hamilton, Jacoby Ellsbury and others may follow. Plus, restrictions on amateur spending make it more difficult to build exclusively through the draft.

The Cardinals and Marlins are also interested in Pujols, while Fielder has drawn interest from the Nationals and Brewers. The Rangers could enter the mix for both players and the Mariners may have interest in Fielder.

I heard the Cubs are interested, which makes me feel...

Want an easy icon?
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=133
All you have to do is beat a few guys at picking Sunday's winners.[/url]
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -302)
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby bayside » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:00 pm

Syfo-Dyas wrote: the 2013 FA class for Starting pitching is much better than this years:
Cain, Hamels, Greinke, Shields (if option declined), etc...
so they can sign an impact free agent SP next year, plus sign another mid level SP, and they should be able to compete.

id be shocked if more than 1 of these guys actually becomes a FA. i think 2 reaching free agency is the abut the most a team could realistically expect, with the rest signing extensions
bayside
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -1)

Postby MasterX1918 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:25 pm

Hamels> robin roberts?
MasterX1918
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: -10)

Postby irishstephen071 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:04 pm

raiders_umpire wrote:
Syfo-Dyas wrote:2- Prince Fielder, 1B: Tampa Bay (I really hope, cause he could make them the team to beat in the AL East)

:-o What is Tampa going to do for Fielder? The only way it could be possible would be a one year contract that Fielder would not accept and that Tampa would not offer. The Rays only chance at an impact bat going into 2012 would be to trade Price or Shields.

I do agree with you but I wouldn't mind them trading Shields since he is basically coming off his best season to date and you have 3 mlb ready SP to take his place. I don't see them trading Price but I also don't see them signing him to another deal for what he is gonna command next year on the open market, as much as I hate to say it I think Price might be a Yankee or go to Boston where one of his best friends/old leader/team mate is in Crawford. I love the Rays and have since opening day in the first season and am so proud of what they have done in the past 4 years, wish they could keep most of the people they loose but only way that happens is for fans to go out to games which for whatever reason isn't happening even though they are winning in the hardest division in baseball.
irishstephen071
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 9)

Postby SpecialFNK » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:28 pm

Jose Reyes to the Marlins.
Jose Reyes is on the verge of signing a six-year deal worth around $110 million to join the Marlins, according to FoxSports.com's Ken Rosenthal.
Miami got aggressive over the weekend and knocked the Mets out of the bidding. The Marlins will have to decide what to do with Hanley Ramirez, now. They will presumably shift him to third base, but Ramirez reportedly isn't keen on that idea. Ruben Tejada will take over as New York's shortstop next season. The 28-year-old Reyes posted a .337/.384/.493 batting line for the Mets in 2011 and will provide a great spark at the top of Miami's lineup.

so now what happens to Hanely? apparently he was not too happy about having to switch positions last time I checked.
is 3B the best spot for him? or maybe somewhere else like CF?
SpecialFNK
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 38)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers