Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Start Matt Moore tonight? Keeper League

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Start Matt Moore tonight? Keeper League

Postby DanSDMF » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:52 am

I'm in 1st place in tight race for my AL only Roto league. Right now I'm in the lead by 1.5 points with close races in K's, W's, ERA and Whip. Should I gamble the future of my team and activate Moore for his start against NYY tonight?

He was drafted as a minor leaguer with a 5 dollar salary and a 3 year contract. His contract starts once he is activated to my Roto team's roster.

By activating him it would cost me the following:
A) The first year of his 3 year contract for basically 1 or 2 starts this season.
B) A roster spot for one of my keepers at next years draft, if he is kept as a minor leaguer he would not take up a roster spot and his salary would not count against my salary cap. I could use his spot to either draft someone with the intention of trading them or draft someone for $1 to drop after the draft, activate Moore and use the extra $4 elsewhere.

The difference between 1st and 2nd place is $240 cash and a championship bobblehead that will likely arrive with it's head popped off in the mail.
DanSDMF
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Start Matt Moore tonight? Keeper League

Postby fast dogs » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:05 pm

thats a pretty good sized penalty you'll have to pay for maybe 1 start. Of course if he gets you 5 K's and that ends up being the margin of victory for you he'd be well worth it. I'm a big fan of win now if you have the chance; you could be middle of the pack next year. I think it comes down to how much good some K's will do, any word if he'll the another start the final couple days if the Rays are eliminated; and maybe the lineup NYY rolls out there tonight. Only you know the exact standings and scheduled pitchers the rest of the year.I know I wouldn't want to spend the offseason knowing I'd won if I'd only have used my rookie...
When asking for roster advice in these pages, remember there are thousands of different sets of league rules & many different active roster settings. If you want the best replies, be sure to include your leagues particulars in the original post
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 133)

Re: Start Matt Moore tonight? Keeper League

Postby hoopsgalnyc » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:53 pm

Absolutely not. Even if you didn't have the penalties you described for starting him, he's facing the best offense in baseball. Starting pitchers against the Yankees rarely results in a good start (fantasy-wise). Plus, Moore has been shaky since being called up.

By the way, I have Moore as a minor league keeper myself, so I love him. But bad idea to start him vs. NYY.

Please check out my post in the keeper league forum. Thanks in advance.
hoopsgalnyc
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 1)

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions