Return to Baseball Leftovers

9/7: Venting; Asdrubal's Ding Dongs; Check, Please

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

My team's done. Alternate September activities?

Foliage tourism
8%
NHL training camp stalker
17%
Studying
No votes
Whiskey
8%
Vodka
8%
Gin
8%
Double Whiskey
33%
Elijah Dukes scrapbooking
17%

Total votes : 12

Re: 9/7: Venting; Asdrubal's Ding Dongs; Check, Please

Postby Skin Blues » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:59 am

RedHopeful wrote:
CharlatanSin wrote:In redraft leagues, where are you tentatively targeting Stras-borg (the bionically rebuilt Strasburg) next year?

At a spot he likely won't fall to. He hasn't changed his mechanics since his TJ rehab as he's still got the inverted W. I fear another injury on the horizon and would recommend keepers/dynasties to sell high.

This is such a load of bull. The "inverted W" is a media creation and has no merit. It's a talking point. Would you have liked to see his mechanics change? Really? Try to re-invent himself after how amazing he was before he was injured? Ligament damage happens. You repair it and go back to work. Even if he gets hurt again it won't be for quite a while. The fact that his mechanics are the same is a very good thing.

That said... Stras has so much hype going into next year that if he shows he's back to his 2010 self after his 20+ innings to finish the season, he'll be right up there with the big boys. He has a crappy offense though, so wins will be hard to come by. I probably won't draft him for that reason. After finishing almost dead last in wins despite being #2 of 15 in ERA in my main league, I will wait an extra round on guys like Strasburg and Cain, and thus will probably miss out on Strasburg.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 82)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby kab21 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:20 pm

I almost certainly won't own Strasburg next year. I like to minimize risk with my first 2-3 pitchers and Strasburg is full of risk for someone that I can see getting picked in rds 4-6. Yes, that sounds crazy but that's where I think he'll be getting picked.
My website - The World Is Not That Big
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 108)

Postby BronXBombers51 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:20 pm

wrveres wrote:
BronXBombers51 wrote:120

King Felix keeps rolling, Tulo hits #30 and MCab and Kinsler stay hot. Another nice day yesterday and my lead grows larger. Trying to not grow complacent but hard not to feel good right now. Cain going tonight @ San Diego and there's still points to be had in W, L and WHIP. Go get'em Matty.
Is this a 12 team league?

12 teams, 4-8 keepers per year. This is my first year in the league, took over a team that finished in 10th place last year. It was a bad team but had enough studs to have a nice group of keepers (Tulo, MCab, Sabathia, Greinke and Jay Bruce.) Was able to draft pretty well (Aramis, Stubbs, Victorino, etc.) and made some good trades at the right time (getting Felix for Stubbs/Victorino in late July, Greinke/Trumbo for Adam Jones/Hanrahan, and a few weeks ago trading Bruce for Kinsler/Cain).

Nice lead right now for a $600 prize and potential 8 keepers of Tulo/MCab/Felix/Sabathia/Kinsler/A. Jones/Cain/Aramis for next year. I'm happy at the moment. :-b B-)
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -297)

Postby chargerss24 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:52 pm

kab21 wrote:I almost certainly won't own Strasburg next year. I like to minimize risk with my first 2-3 pitchers and Strasburg is full of risk for someone that I can see getting picked in rds 4-6. Yes, that sounds crazy but that's where I think he'll be getting picked.

Agree. Why spend a high draft pick on injured goods (and a pitcher at that) when you can get a stud that's proven. He has to fall pretty far for me to own him and I know the guy in my 12-team keeper league will ask for a king's ransom for him. No thanks.
C-Doumit, Salty
1B- Fielder
2B-Pedroia
SS-Reyes
3B-Longoria
CI- Morneau
MI- Kipnis
OF- Myers Jennings Heyward
U- Ellsbury, B. Upton, Bruce

SP-Price Fernandez Miller Wheeler, Kluber
RP-Grilli, Farquhar, Crow, Veras
chargerss24
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 5)

Postby lastingsgriller » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:59 pm

chargerss24 wrote:
kab21 wrote:I almost certainly won't own Strasburg next year. I like to minimize risk with my first 2-3 pitchers and Strasburg is full of risk for someone that I can see getting picked in rds 4-6. Yes, that sounds crazy but that's where I think he'll be getting picked.

Agree. Why spend a high draft pick on injured goods (and a pitcher at that) when you can get a stud that's proven. He has to fall pretty far for me to own him and I know the guy in my 12-team keeper league will ask for a king's ransom for him. No thanks.

my league keeps 4 players. I am actually contemplating trying to trade Fielder for an extra pick and keeping Strasburg. Pujols, Longoria, Kershaw and Strasburg is a pretty dominant team base.

Strasburg obviously has the potential to be Randy Johnson-like. whether he ever gets there is a crapshoot, but if he does, he's a fantasy baseball game changer.
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 81)

Postby CharlatanSin » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:10 pm

Murders Row 3.0 in the Bronx this afternoon. Your starting lineup:

1. Eduardo Nunez, SS
2. Russell Martin, C
3. Nick Swisher, RF
4. Alex Rodriguez, 3B
5. Andruw Jones, LF
6. Jesus Montero, DH
7. Brandon Laird, 1B
8. Greg Golson, CF
9. Ramiro Pena, 2B
She said always remember never to trust me
She said that the first night that she met me
She said "there's gonna be a time when I'm gonna have to go with whoever's gonna get me the highest."
CharlatanSin
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -3)

Postby wrveres » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:13 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:
wrveres wrote:

King Felix keeps rolling, Tulo hits #30 and MCab and Kinsler stay hot. Another nice day yesterday and my lead grows larger. Trying to not grow complacent but hard not to feel good right now. Cain going tonight @ San Diego and there's still points to be had in W, L and WHIP. Go get'em Matty.

12 teams, 4-8 keepers per year. This is my first year in the league, took over a team that finished in 10th place last year. It was a bad team but had enough studs to have a nice group of keepers (Tulo, MCab, Sabathia, Greinke and Jay Bruce.) Was able to draft pretty well (Aramis, Stubbs, Victorino, etc.) and made some good trades at the right time (getting Felix for Stubbs/Victorino in late July, Greinke/Trumbo for Adam Jones/Hanrahan, and a few weeks ago trading Bruce for Kinsler/Cain).

Nice lead right now for a $600 prize and potential 8 keepers of Tulo/MCab/Felix/Sabathia/Kinsler/A. Jones/Cain/Aramis for next year. I'm happy at the moment. :-b B-)
they should give you all the money if you finish with a perfect score. thats down right impressive sir.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: -313)

Postby AquaMan2342 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:00 pm

Starting pitching has become too deep a position to waste an early roundish pick on a guy as risky as Strasburg.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -120)
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby chargerss24 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:10 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:
wrveres wrote:

I'm happy with my keeper team as well. Been in first since week 2 and currently first or second in every category in my 12-team, 6x6 league. Going to win $500+ and have a great list of keepers to choose from (so long as I can afford them in our auction system) Posey/Votto/Pedroia/Longoria/McCutchen/Cargo/J. Upton/Bruce/Hosmer/Verlander/Price/Greinke/Kimbrel among some of those players. B-)
C-Doumit, Salty
1B- Fielder
2B-Pedroia
SS-Reyes
3B-Longoria
CI- Morneau
MI- Kipnis
OF- Myers Jennings Heyward
U- Ellsbury, B. Upton, Bruce

SP-Price Fernandez Miller Wheeler, Kluber
RP-Grilli, Farquhar, Crow, Veras
chargerss24
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 5)

Postby kab21 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:37 pm

Crap my opponent is having one of those days. 10R, 4HR, 10 RBI and Jose Bautista has 2 SB's. I counter with 1, 0, 1, 0. :-o
My website - The World Is Not That Big
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 108)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers