Return to Baseball Leftovers

9/2 Venting, Cheering, My Ding Dong, Aussie sucks?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Pick your Pony. 2011 National League Rookie of the Year

Poll ended at Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:52 am

Danny Espinosa
4%
Brandon Beachy
24%
Craig Kimbrel
68%
Josh Collmenter
No votes
Dillon Gee
No votes
Freddie Freeman
4%

Total votes : 25

9/2 Venting, Cheering, My Ding Dong, Aussie sucks?

Postby wrveres » Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:36 am

It was 19 years ago today, my second son, Alexander Veres was born.
I remember being overly concerned at the time about being able to spend quality time with him. One child and two jobs was a full schedule. Never mind the nagging wife. But the concern was short lived, as Alex demanded all of our time as a very colicky baby. As he grew up, he knew that when he walked into a room, all the attention was on him. It just was. Its hard to explain, its one of those things you'd have to see, but every time the kid walked through the damn door, the room lit up. He just had a way of making you laugh at him, or at whom ever the target for his shennagins was, and he pulled no punches. Even as a toddler, he found a way to make you laugh. He had this thick New York accent. Dont ask me where it came from, but it was deep. The only person that understood him was his brother, and for a number of years the family used my oldest son as a translator. It was hilarious ....

Oh i could go on ...

Anyways, Happy Birthday Alex.
If by some chance, you google your name a few years from now, and discover this post, yes its been confirmed.
Your dad, is a basement living, Cheetos eating, nerd.
love ya!

on to other business ..
What happened to Aussie? Is it me? Did I just miss out on yesterdays kazoo video? I feel sooo empty ....
And what happened to our very own First Responder?
H0rt, i just knew you'd stick something up for us on days when Aussie lets us down? You cant still be digging out from the flood? wtf..

20/20
link: From 1901 through 1954, there were just seven total instances of a player stealing 20 bases and hitting 20 homers in a single season. That's not seven different players. That's literally seven different times, done by six different players, over a 54-year span ... from 1985 through 2010, the average number of 20/20 players in any given season is an incredible 9.5. Outside of 1992 and the strike-shortened 1994, there have been seven or more 20/20 players in every single season since 1985 ... Back in 1999, a shocking 19 different players reached the 20/20 plateau; at this point, we're probably going to end up with a mark closer to 15 this season, but that would still qualify as the second- or third-highest mark in MLB history. Even during a period of low-scoring relative to the past 20 years (MLB run-scoring is down for the fifth consecutive season in 2011), we're seeing more and more 20/20 players than ever
id love to get the URL for these webcams ...
link: The Padres have put dedicated web cams in all the minor league clubs and they catalog every home at bat. "They know we're always watching them." The Padres are like Big Brother. The Padres can control the camera from Petco Park. It's just Boston and San Diego that use these cameras. "It's certainly worthwhile." They also have a box that measures the speed of pitches and the speed of the ball off the bat. Mike Stanton hit one of the hardest balls all year with a home run 115 mph off his bat in Petco Park
Savior?
Dave Cameron: After months of hype, discussion, and lobbying, Jesus Montero has finally joined the New York Yankees. With rosters expanding for September, the Yankees have called their top prospect up to join the big club, and the rumblings are that he’ll be in the line-up tonight, serving as the DH against Jon Lester in Boston. That might seem like quite a way to make a debut, but Montero is viewed as quite a talent – as one team official told Joel Sherman, “By the playoffs, he will be our best DH option.”
a win for CJ², and wr³
FakeTeams: Fantasy owners can relax now that Chris Johnson will be back on the field for Week 1
wither Adam Dunn
Dan Wade: ZiPS has Viciedo hitting .266/.299/.453 with 3 HR for the rest of the season, which strikes me as a little low. It would not surprise me to see him hit an extra home run or two and hit closer to .280. At the moment, he holds only 3B eligibility, though I expect that he’ll have qualified as an OF by the end of next week, as he started in right field twice this week
pass.
Eno Sarris: Henderson Alvarez had himself a game on Wednesday, as he pitched the Blue Jays to a 13-0 victory. Well, okay, he didn't have anything to do with one of those numbers, but still. Eight scoreless innings, five strikeouts, no walks and three hits in the American League East made a lot of sit up and take notice. Time to tell it like its: is Alvarez a deep leaguer, a spot-starter, or a mixed-league bench player? Let's use scouting reports to augment the numbers on each of the key three areas for a pitcher
Look fellow basement dwellers, a Moneyball reference ..
Tom Krasovic: Another scout who had the knack for reading high school players was Logan White, a former West Coast Scouting Supervisor for the Padres who oversaw drafts for the Dodgers starting in 2003 Moneyball aided him, White said many years ago, by encouraging other clubs to draft college players and leaving him a wider choice of prep players, among them future Dodgers stars such as Matt Kemp, Clayton Kershaw, Chad Billingsley and Jonathan Broxton.
First Base Rankings
Anniversaries
Chris Jaffe:
1929 Washington’s Joe Cronin hits for the cycle, going 5-for-5 with two doubles and a personal high 12 total bases.
1932 Kiki Cuyler belts his fifth homer in six games as the Cubs win 13th in a row. Cuyler has only 128 career home runs.
1944 Dixie Walker hits for the cycle
1955 Ernie Banks becomes the first shortstop to hit 40 homers in a year
1963 Pete Rose belts his first of three career inside the park homers. It’s only his second career homer and is the first pitch of the game in a 1-0 Reds win over the Mets
1971 Cesar Cedeno hits an inside the park home run on a 200-foot hit. Bill Buckner and Jim Lefebve collide when they try to field the ball.
1974 Cincinnati's city council passes a resolution protesting an “atrocious call” when umps call Joe Morgan out on the bases, negating the tying run in a 4-3 loss to the Astros.
1980 Mookie Wilson makes his major league debut.
1992 Jeff Bagwell gets the third and final sacrifice hit of his career. He’ll play 13 more years, but never have another one.
1995 After 40 straight steals dating back to July 1993, Tim Raines is finally nailed
1996 Mike Greenwell 9, Seattle Mariners 8. Greenwell gets all nine RBI for Boston; the most RBI in baseball history for a player who drove in all his team’s runs.
Pick your Pony Previous Results.
5/13 - AL Roy: Eric Hosmer (13), Michael Pineda (6), Mark Trumbo (3)
6/17 - AL MVP: Adrian Gonzalez (14), Jose Bautista (13)
6/24 - NL Cy Young: Roy Halladay (16), Cole Hamels (9), Cliff Lee (4)
7/01 - NL Roy: Danny Espinosa (11), Brandon Beachy (10), Craig Kimbrel (7)
7/08 - AL Cy Young: Justin Verlander (29), Jered Weaver (4), Michael Pineda (3)
7/15 - NL MVP: Matt Kemp (8), Prince Fielder (5), Ryan Braun (5), Jose Reyes
7/22 - AL Roy: Michael Pineda (28), Erik Hosmer (5), Mark Trumbo (3)
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: -313)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 9/2 Venting, Cheering, My Ding Dong, Aussie sucks?

Postby wrveres » Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:54 am

i love how three of the NL ROY candidates are Braves. whens somebody going to make a movie about that organization ..... at least they can back it up.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby BronXBombers51 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:02 am

The last two days have been more than kind to my team.

Probably not a sustainable lead :-b , but I'm enjoying it while it lasts. I can thank Felix and Bumgarner for their dominant starts Wednesday, and an offensive mash-fest yesterday courtesy of Kinsler, Bonifacio, Crisp, Duda and Kelly Johnson, who has caught fire since joining the best division in baseball. B-)

Matt Cain going tonight, need to keep the momentum up.

Unrelated to fantasy: The Yankee-Red Sox game last night was excruciatingly long. But what a game. That Granderson catch was unreal. And I had playoff excitement when Mo finally nailed it down by catching A-Gon looking for strike three. :-o :-)
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -297)

Postby bigh0rt » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:19 am

wrveres wrote:And what happened to our very own First Responder?
H0rt, i just knew you'd stick something up for us on days when Aussie lets us down? You cant still be digging out from the flood? wtf..

1) I actually still don't have full power in my condo. I've been spending time bouncing between my own and my gf's folks for showers, etc. Very annoying since my first day of school was yesterday. My internet access time has been limited.

2) In a few hours I'm leaving for Ocean City, MD for the weekend. B-)
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 376)

Postby AussieDodger » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:06 am

I suck? How dear you besmirch me like that :-b :-b

True story: I had a skin cancer removed (first time...gross) and so gave myself the night off (with what I thought was a good book which turned out to be a stinking pile of garbage - Mick Foley's Hardcore Diaries)

In your pants etc

P.S... Here is my new ringtone, which is probably short term and temporary but it makes me laugh every time my phone rings.
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -37)

Postby wrveres » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:48 am

Cancer and a Hurricane are poor excuses fellas. :-]
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby wrveres » Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:52 am

wow this place is quiet
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby kab21 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:14 am

wrveres wrote:wow this place is quiet

I'm too busy winning.

Perhaps I should add up my bye week pitching stats. It's about 55-60IP with a 1.00ERA after brilliant performance by Verlander and Holland yesterday. Bills not so much. I hate you chad.
My website - The World Is Not That Big
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 108)

Postby wrveres » Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:39 pm

yeah i sent Bills away. i blame him for ruining my NL season ...
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby wrveres » Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:15 pm

Is there a worse outfield defense than the Cubs? My eyes tell me no.

lets check the stats ..
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers