Windmill
11%
Living statue
No votes
Speed bump
6%
Swamp ogre
22%
Star of Tom Emanski Instructional Videos (as the "before" guy)
11%
Adam Dunn: Mall Cop
22%
Elijah Dukes
28%

Total votes : 18

8/31: Venting, Asdrubal's Ding Dongs, Hideo Nomo

Postby CharlatanSin » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:22 am

They laughed at me when I predicted last offseason that the Diamondbacks would be your NL West champions. Well, who's laughing now? (Nobody at Miguel Montero's jokes, that's for sure.)

Not long after Arizona’s latest impressive victory, the fire alarms started blinking and blaring inside the Diamondbacks clubhouse. Not missing a beat, catcher Miguel Montero(notes) screamed out: “Our bats are on fire!”

:-t

Arizona had been getting good pitching, even before the streak, and has played solid defense most of the season. Now that the bats have started to come back around, the Diamondbacks are pulling away in the division...Arizona has now won eight straight overall, its longest streak since 2008, and the home streak matches the mark set in 2000 and 2003. With less than a month left in the season, the Diamondbacks are six games ahead of the defending World Series champion Giants in the NL West.

The D-Backs are going to be a fun team to watch in the playoffs, and should have a good thing going for a few years now with the shape their core is in.

The most underrated pitcher in MLB finally beats the Red Sox:
The big Yankees left-hander struck out 10 on Tuesday night, throwing a season-high 128 pitches in six innings to beat Boston for the first time in five tries and lead New York to a 5-2 victory. The Yankees improved to 3-13 this season against the Red Sox, who still lead the AL East by one-half game.

Sabathia (18-7) had been 0-4 with a 7.20 ERA against the Red Sox this year, and 17-3 with a 2.40 ERA against the rest of baseball. He allowed two runs on 10 hits and two walks; only once in his career has he thrown more than 128 pitches.

And speaking of Carsten Charles, are we finally through holding out hope that Matt LaPorta is going to be a productive major league ballplayer?
Manager Manny Acta said the Cleveland Indians' demotion of first baseman Matt LaPorta to the minors Tuesday is a case of roster numbers. LaPorta's mediocre production numbers didn't help...

"He has made progress, but expectations for a guy like him are high," Acta said. "That's not because of the trade, but because of being a high draft pick (No. 7 overall by Milwaukee in 2007) and the way he cruised through the minors...He's had a lot of inconsistency, but shows flashes of what we anticipated. He needs work on plate discipline. He's projected as a walks, power guy and it is still not there."

Welcome to the world of bar trivia answers, kid. Say hi to TJ Matthews and Marty Janzen for me. (For an imaginary high five, which two 90s superstar trades were those two key pieces in?)

Fangraphs takes yet another poke at the festering corpse of Adam Dunn:

At -2.5 WAR, Dunn checks in tied for ninth on the list in terms of net negative performance over a full season. Ninth in 50 years doesn’t sound so bad, after all, and would confirm my initial suspicion that this kind of thing isn’t all that uncommon. But when you start to look at the context of the guys ahead of him, the story begins to change...Among the guys ahead of (or tied with) Dunn on the futility top 10, eliminating the inexperienced young guys leaves us with just three names – Neifi Perez, George Wright, and Dan Meyer. Of course, those guys aren’t really good comps for Dunn either...

So, what does history show us? Well, Adam Dunn might not be having the worst single season of the last 50 years, but he’s perhaps having the most inexplicably awful season over that time frame. His peers in terribleness have mostly reasonable excuses for why their numbers are so bad, but for Dunn, it really is just an out-of-nowhere collapse like we haven’t seen in a long, long time.

The utter collapse of Adam Dunn, who up to this point had been one of the most consistent players of our generation, is still fascinating. Guys have off years, even guys whose stats you can usually set your watch to. Guys with Dunn's skill set tend to fall fairly hard fairly fast. (Get ready for that, Phillies fans.) But this? We'll be talking about Dunn's 2011 for years.

Happy birthday to:

[url=http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/r/raineti02.shtml]Tim Raines[url]: Here I was, all set to talk about Tim Raines' long and illustrious career of baseball and cocaine fandom, when I realize that the man in question is Tim Raines, Jr. Little Rock had a career somewhat less illustrious than that of his father. He barely managed a handful of cups of coffee. The main thing I remember is that Tim Raines (the good one) held on for way too long so that he'd have the chance to play with his son, but he was traded to Baltimore on like the last day of the season in 2001 to make that dream reality. Apparently Little Rock currently plays for the Newark Bears, and therefore is managed by his father. That's some coaching staff they've got in Newark. Their pitching coach is, inexplicably, Jim Leyritz, which makes no sense for any number of reasons. They also have Ron Karkovice, one of my all-time favorite random 90s ballplayers, on staff.

[url=http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/n/nomohi01.shtml]Hideo Nomo[url]: Listen. If you claim that, while throwing a ball around in your backyard in the 90s, you NEVER imitated Hideo Nomo's windup, then you're a goddamn liar and I hate you. Nomo's first two years were sensational (he had a silly 11.1 K/9 in 1995, which is almost as silly as the fact that he won Rookie of the Year.) He mucked around for a bit, but then had a nice little revival for a couple of years back in LA in the early aughts. Nomo broke an important barrier as the first Japanese player in MLB in decades, as his arrival in the states lead to that of Hideki Irabu, and then your Matsuis, your Ichiros, etc. Japanese stars in MLB are taken for granted now, but I still remember well when Hideo was the first.

Awesomely named old-timey birthday boy: Dad Clarkson. You'll be happy to know that Dad was 5th in the NL in ERA in 1893. But more importantly, he led the league in teaching you to shave and giving you a sip of beer at Thanksgiving.

That's it for today. Play nice!
She said always remember never to trust me
She said that the first night that she met me
She said "there's gonna be a time when I'm gonna have to go with whoever's gonna get me the highest."
CharlatanSin
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

8/31: Venting, Asdrubal's Ding Dongs, Hideo Nomo

Postby saemick » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:33 am

So, who's the better spot start today:

McDonald @ HOU
Lilly vs. SD
Capuano vs. FLA
saemick
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 13)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: 8/31: Venting, Asdrubal's Ding Dongs, Hideo Nomo

Postby bigh0rt » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:47 am

Guys you should be afraid of starting today: Harden, Collmenter
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 376)

Postby SpecialFNK » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:46 am

Adam Dunn. there should be an "other" option, or this option- softball. he seems like the type to play in a fun softball league where the players can drink beer.

I wouldn't consider Sabathia as underrated.

why be afraid to start Collmenter? I don't own him in any leagues anyway.
his home numbers are good..
2.76 ERA/ 0.87 WHIP/ .206 BAA/
he had a bad start August 5th at home against the Dodgers, but since then in 4 overall starts he has these ER- 0/1/2/2.
he had a home start against Colorado on July 23rd, 7 IP with 3 ER.
the last 2 games Colorado played at Arizona in this series they scored 4(last night) and 1 on Monday.
I would think Collenter should at least have a quality start. (but I've been wrong before).

the only starter I have going today on 1 team is Dan Haren.
SpecialFNK
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 38)

Postby Tennessee Jed » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:55 am

SpecialFNK wrote:Adam Dunn. there should be an "other" option, or this option- softball. he seems like the type to play in a fun softball league where the players can drink beer.

he had a bad start August 5th at home against the Dodgers, but since then in 4 overall starts he has these ER- 0/1/2/2.
the last 2 games Colorado played at Arizona in this series they scored 4(last night) and 1 on Monday.
I would think Collenter should at least have a quality start. (but I've been wrong before).

RC: doesn't get the on-going season long inside joke.
Tennessee Jed
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)

Postby bigh0rt » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:09 am

Tennessee Jed wrote:
SpecialFNK wrote:Adam Dunn. there should be an "other" option, or this option- softball. he seems like the type to play in a fun softball league where the players can drink beer.

It's not inside. It's very outside. :-b You don't start Harden or Collmenter today cause I'm starting them in my main league and I've had the worst luck with SP all season. I do it as a courtesy to others here at the Cafe. It's how I contribute. Thank me later.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 376)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:21 am

bigh0rt wrote:Guys you should be afraid of starting today: Harden, Collmenter

my opponent is trotting him out there B-)

also in anticipation of my semi-final matchup next week please try to acquire and start these pitchers (players currently in lineup in BOLD). any jinx you can put on Kimbrel, Rivera or Santos is appreciated as well
Chacin
Lester
Weaver
Worley

Beachy
Cahill
Colon
Floyd
Karstens
Lube-Key
Minor
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: -115)

Postby SpecialFNK » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:49 am

bigh0rt wrote:
Tennessee Jed wrote:

It's not inside. It's very outside. :-b You don't start Harden or Collmenter today cause I'm starting them in my main league and I've had the worst luck with SP all season. I do it as a courtesy to others here at the Cafe. It's how I contribute. Thank me later.

I get it now.
there are probably a lot of Collmenter owners that are considering starting him. but just the time they do not start him, will be the time when he goes out and throws a great game.. leaving those owners who don't start him to be like SHIT I should have started him, but those who did start him will be benefit.
SpecialFNK
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby SpecialFNK » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:55 am

the Braves traded for OF Matt Diaz.
great, another OF they can play instead of Jason Heyward. especially considering Diaz and Heyward splits.
SpecialFNK
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby RedHopeful » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:18 pm

Woo hoo, Scherzer and Stauffer have already destroyed a few cat's for the week. Thank goodness I've almost got the 2nd seed locked up. :-°

Variety of choices in several leagues today - Haren, Felix, Shields, Harden and Ogando.
RedHopeful
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 76)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers