Return to Baseball Leftovers

8/30 Cheering, Venting, and the Giants Suck

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

8/30 Cheering, Venting, and the Giants Suck

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:38 am

... that's both the San Francisco Giants and the New York Football Giants B-)

Dunno who usually does Tuesdays, but here I am, your substitute, ready to endure your assured disdain and disappointment...

If you haven't yet, go check out Future Rookies: Week 22, the Cafe's very own Sleeper Watch, and the hottest young fantasy baseball writing prospect's 2011 Fantasy Baseball Rankings: Spring Update.

Daniel Hudson's seven shutout innings gave the Diamondbacks their 7th straight win, 5-1 over the Rockies. In related news, Colorado is removing the snow-capped mountain from its logo and replacing it with an image of a fat duck that quacks the words "we're trying our best!"

Good thing you traded your best pitcher...
The best performance of the night goes to Randy Wells, who pitched a complete game 2-hitter in the Cubs' 7-0 win over the Giants. In related news, Democrats in congress have introduced a public welfare bill that would allow the Giants to start every inning with a runner on first.

They probably still wouldn't score...
In his return from the 15-day DL, Cole Hamels gave up just two hits in six innings as the Phillies topped the Reds 3-2. In related news, Phillies manager Charlie Manuel was stewing that everyone laughed when the colorful 'welcome back' banner he made for Hamels was used by Ryan Howard in a lewd ribbon dance.

This one kinda went over my head, but still, screw the Phillies...
On the eve of their series in Boston, the Yankees salvaged a split with the Orioles behind Nick Swisher's 2-run homer. In related news, the ball reported that it left the park not so much because of the solid contact, but because Swisher never shuts up.

Swisher is definitely 'that annoying friend'...

Oh, and a daily post started by me wouldn't be fair or complete without linking to the complete Grantland works by Johan Keri.
Jonah Keri covers baseball and other topics for ESPN.com, FanGraphs, the Wall Street Journal, and other publications. His new book, The Extra 2%: How Wall Street Strategies Took a Major League Baseball Team from Worst to First, has received critical acclaim from Peter Gammons, Joe Posnanski, Buster Olney and many others, and is now a national bestseller.
You're welcome.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 376)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 8/30 Cheering, Venting, and the Giants Suck

Postby Dan Lambskin » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:24 pm

i'm rolling Garza out there today...hoping for an 8 inning 10K gem followed with a Marmol 3K Save B-)
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: -115)

Postby kab21 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:38 pm

I actually was checking my H2H team yesterday until I realized they had a bye.

I'm not even paying attention to who I have starting anymore. Pretty much any pitcher I have on my 3 teams is worth starting regardless of matchups. But I know I have Garza on 2 of my teams.
My website - The World Is Not That Big
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 108)

Postby DbacksRback » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:32 pm

This was posted on ESPN by a Giants fan

Fun Facts About our 2011 Giants:

We are paying Zito……………… $6,175,000/Win
We are paying Rowand………. $571,000/RBI
We are paying Huff…………….. $916,000/HR
We are paying DeRosa……….. $650,000/Hit

We are paying Sandoval…….. $500,000
DbacksRback
General Manager
General Manager

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 20)

Postby bayside » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:24 pm

why in the world did the Giants NOT put in a claim for Berkman?
bayside
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -1)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:30 am

Dan Lambskin wrote:i'm rolling Garza out there today...hoping for an 8 inning 10K gem followed with a Marmol 3K Save B-)

close enough :-)
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: -115)

Return to Baseball Leftovers