Return to Baseball Leftovers

What if h2h and roto were mixed?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

What if h2h and roto were mixed?

Postby jfg » Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:20 am

This isn't a rant as my playoffs haven't started yet but a lot of people hate h2h because of the luck factor. I hate roto because it's just stat counting and the last few weeks are too often irrelevant. I think I would enjoy playing in a league that plays h2h in the regular season where luck can play a factor but you aren't one and done because of an off week. Then, in the playoffs everything switches to a 3-4 week roto game with the playoff qualifiers. Takes away the frustration of h2h playoffs and the general bore factor of the last month of a roto league. Maybe there are leagues like this already?
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: -127)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: What if h2h and roto were mixed?

Postby bayside » Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:40 am

after the regular H2H season i would like to see a 3 or 4 week round robin style playoff.
you could either set it up so that every playoff team plays every other playoff team once 9would require a 5 week playoff for most standard leagues, or if you prefer a shorter playoff season then use seeding to determine which teams will play each other.
most total wins at the end of the round robin is the champion.
bayside
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -1)

Postby J35J » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:37 am

Only problem with mixing H2H and Roto is the strategies are completely different. What happens to that team(s) who punted SB and Saves during the year and now he's gotta deal with 2 punted cats in ROTO...he's going to lose.

I kinda like bayside's round robin, total wins idea...
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -42)

Postby kab21 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:14 am

We use 2 week playoff matchups in my dynasty league so it removes some luck and evens out the 2 start pitchers. But this means that we're also in the semifinals already.
My website - The World Is Not That Big
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 108)

Postby chargerss24 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:44 am

So what you're saying is that take the top "X" teams from roto and pair them up for an "X week" playoff? Interesting idea.

I do disagree with your statement that the last several weeks are irrelevant. If the standings are close enough, you'll see teams flip-flop positions in September as much as July.
C-Doumit, Salty
1B- Fielder
2B-Pedroia
SS-Reyes
3B-Longoria
CI- Morneau
MI- Kipnis
OF- Myers Jennings Heyward
U- Ellsbury, B. Upton, Bruce

SP-Price Fernandez Miller Wheeler, Kluber
RP-Grilli, Farquhar, Crow, Veras
chargerss24
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 5)

Postby kab21 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:57 am

chargerss24 wrote:So what you're saying is that take the top "X" teams from roto and pair them up for an "X week" playoff? Interesting idea.

I do disagree with your statement that the last several weeks are irrelevant. If the standings are close enough, you'll see teams flip-flop positions in September as much as July.

actually he's saying the opposite. Take the top X teams from H2H regular season and put them into a 1 month roto matchup. meh, it's not H2H anymore.
My website - The World Is Not That Big
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 108)

Postby chargerss24 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:55 pm

kab21 wrote:
chargerss24 wrote:So what you're saying is that take the top "X" teams from roto and pair them up for an "X week" playoff? Interesting idea.

actually he's saying the opposite. Take the top X teams from H2H regular season and put them into a 1 month roto matchup. meh, it's not H2H anymore.

Why? :-S Makes more sense the other way around.
C-Doumit, Salty
1B- Fielder
2B-Pedroia
SS-Reyes
3B-Longoria
CI- Morneau
MI- Kipnis
OF- Myers Jennings Heyward
U- Ellsbury, B. Upton, Bruce

SP-Price Fernandez Miller Wheeler, Kluber
RP-Grilli, Farquhar, Crow, Veras
chargerss24
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 5)

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:58 pm

chargerss24 wrote:
kab21 wrote:

Why? :-S Makes more sense the other way around.

That's what I was thinking. You get roto during the regular year to take away the luck factor and then the excitement of H2H for the playoffs.

2011 Live Free or DyNasty Champ
A Fleshner Fantasy
Wicked Wikitect
Wicked Wikitect

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -101)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby BALCO All-Stars » Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:49 pm

kab21 wrote:We use 2 week playoff matchups in my dynasty league so it removes some luck and evens out the 2 start pitchers. But this means that we're also in the semifinals already.

We do the same thing. We got tired of the luck factor from the variance of one week PLUS the luck factor of some of your pitchers just happening to be double starters that week (I know you can pick up double starters but I'm just talking about the case where their stud pitcher just happens to pitch twice that week). Overall my league likes it, but as kab said, our playoffs are six weeks long (3 rounds in total).
BALCO All-Stars
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Skin Blues » Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:51 pm

Makes sense, somewhat. Have a prize for first after the roto portion, then everybody is seeded for the H2H portion. H2H first doesn't make much sense because what would the H2H results have to do with the roto portion? The main draw of H2H seems to be the micromanaging throughout the year so I think people who like H2H would rather ahve it for more than a month at the end of the year. Personally I'd rather not have any H2H at all so what do I know...
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 82)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers