Return to General Talk

Fast Food Thread

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Fast Food Thread

Postby The Artful Dodger » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:37 pm

GiantsFan14 wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:I've been ordering my Double Doubles animal style for years and haven't tried the standard In-N-Out burger in forever. Very good.

Like I said a while back, In-N-Out doesn't make amazing burgers/fries, but they're much better than the average fast food chain.

the thing is the lines at in-n-out are always absolutely ridiculous. the one in davis where i went to school literally had a 15 car line at the drive through pretty much all opening hours. it was insane.

Yeah, In-N-Outs tend to be crowded to varying extents. Personally, I wouldn't mind waiting when the food is made to order. There's something so sinister about the typical fast food chains that just give you your food within 2 minutes of ordering, purely out of convenience and efficiency's sake.

shawngee03 wrote:and im surprised nobody has mentioned Chick Fil A. best ckn sandwich by far

I was going to mention Chick-Fil-A a few pages back, but simply forgot. I haven't been in years because like Burger King, I stopped eating Chick-Fil-A after high school (aside from a couple of visits since then) because it was the other frequent thing to eat for lunch. The on-campus snack bar would serve their regular chicken sandwiches with nothing else on it, except a side of Polynesian sauce. It's nothing without that sauce.

My biggest gripe with Chick-Fil-A is the heat bags they put the sandwiches in when ordering to go. There's a tradeoff between keeping the sandwich hot and having the condensation as a result of the heat to make the sandwich on the soggy side. Their chicken isn't really crisp to begin with and the steam building up makes it a rather weird thing to eat.

To be fair, the snack bar ordered probably ordered those sandwiches a couple of hours in advance. Then, years had passed, I dropped into a Chick-Fil-A at the mall. I ordered a regular sandwich dining in, dismayed to find out that the clerk just picked the sandwich off the heat lamps, wrapped in that bloody heat bag. Again, there's just something so sinister I find about food that's been sticking around under heat lamps for hours.

Chick-Fil-A is good for what it is, but I'd rather support my local eatery and get a similarly priced sandwich. One of my locals makes a really terrific grilled chicken club sandwich.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 370)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bigh0rt » Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:02 pm

This thread has me remembering a blog over at Barstool Sports from like a month ago...

Basically, the debate was, if you could create one ultimate fast foot 'big box', what would be in it? You get to pick 3 items/sandwiches, a side, and a drink from any combination of fast food restaurants. The link above shows what one or two of the bloggers liked, but the real entertainment is in the comments.

So... what would be in your 'Big Box'??

Mine would be something to the effect of...
1 Hamburger with Bacon and Onions from Five Guys
1 Chicken Sandwich from Chic-Fil-A
1 Cheesy Gordita Crunch from Taco Bell
1 French Fries from McDonalds
1 Chocolate Frosty from Wendy's

I've never had the pleasure of In-n-Out or even Chipotle, so my pallet is limited, but that's pretty much a beast burger, beast chicken, beast taco, the best fries that exist, and a monster chocolate shake as my drink. I win. I could possibly substitute in one of Sonic's sweet slushy drinks, but I've only had them once, and I have no idea what they're called.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 376)

Postby lastingsgriller » Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:59 pm

1 Chicken Taco from Chipole. corn, tomato, hot, sour cream, cheese.
1 Meat & Potato burrito form Taco Johns
1 Double ButterBurger from Culver's. just mayo.
1 McD's Fry
1 Extra large fountain Coke from McD's fountain.

5 Guys does not count as fast food.
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 81)

Postby lastingsgriller » Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:12 pm

jfg wrote:
4. Pollo Campero- Fried chicken with a Latin kick. Good side dishes too.
6. Jersey Mike's- Best subs I've ever had. They grind the meat and cheese right in front of you and Mike's Way is perfect minus the vinegar.

jfg, you're from Minnesota, right? where in the heck are these gems located at? sound delicious, but I've never seen such restaurants?
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby The Artful Dodger » Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:59 pm

I'm averse to fast food "big box" deals, but when I worked in Hollywood, I used to go here when my hunger knew no bounds and I wanted to feel relatively guilt-free about it tomorrow:

http://www.roroschicken.com

Half-chicken with pickled beets, rice, salad, hummus, and pita bread
Lamb kebab
Falafel
Grape leaves
Fries (surprisingly great)
Baklava

Excellent fast ethnic food and all that, for a relatively cheap price (by L.A. standards). Above all, the food isn't disgusting and it's all relatively healthy (except the fries and baklava, I suppose :-b).
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby jfg » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:03 pm

lastingsgriller wrote:
jfg wrote:
4. Pollo Campero- Fried chicken with a Latin kick. Good side dishes too.
6. Jersey Mike's- Best subs I've ever had. They grind the meat and cheese right in front of you and Mike's Way is perfect minus the vinegar.

jfg, you're from Minnesota, right? where in the heck are these gems located at? sound delicious, but I've never seen such restaurants?

Pollo Campero is on Robert St. in St. Paul, it just opened 6 months ago. Jersey Mike's is in St. Anthony off Silver Lake Rd. close to the Stinson area off of 35W.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: -127)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:13 pm

Ugh, how could I forget not to include this local gem... Pioneer Chicken. If I'm not mistaken, it's only local to L.A. but in the early to mid-90's, they were bought out by Popeyes and by 1995, there were very little remaining Pioneer restaurants around and only three remain today.

How can I describe their chicken? Well, let's say they were double the size of KFC's portions. When you bit into them, the chicken was so juicy it was like eating into beer-battered lard. I'm certain the chicken was cooked in nothing but lard. I used to love their fries and they gave a generous portion of them. The corn on the cob was mammoth-sized and extra buttery.

OK, my customary nostalgic episode of Pioneer is done.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

Postby lastingsgriller » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:20 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:Ugh, how could I forget not to include this local gem... Pioneer Chicken. If I'm not mistaken, it's only local to L.A. but in the early to mid-90's, they were bought out by Popeyes and by 1995, there were very little remaining Pioneer restaurants around and only three remain today.

How can I describe their chicken? Well, let's say they were double the size of KFC's portions. When you bit into them, the chicken was so juicy it was like eating into beer-battered lard. I'm certain the chicken was cooked in nothing but lard. I used to love their fries and they gave a generous portion of them. The corn on the cob was mammoth-sized and extra buttery.

mmmm.... beer-battered lard :-L :-b
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby shawngee03 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:25 pm

yes i am fat...yes i am very unhealthy. so this is not bad for me...as i am aware i am about to have a heart attack.....but i do that "big box" thing about once a month

on a hungover sunday after drinking too much ill go to 4 or 5 different fast food restraunts and get a couple things from each...then come home, sit on the couch, watch whatever sports are on, and eat fast food all day

my typical "big box" includes the following
chips and queso from Taco Cabana
double cheeseburger and fries from McD
stacker and onion rings from BK
ckn sand from chick fil a
frito pie from James Coney Island
2 things from Taco Bell(just random pick when i getto teh window as everything is almost the same)
and jalepeno poppers and egg rolls from jack in the Box(try the egg rolls, they will stop your heart on site, but they are worth it)
shawngee03
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby The Artful Dodger » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:32 pm

lastingsgriller wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:Ugh, how could I forget not to include this local gem... Pioneer Chicken. If I'm not mistaken, it's only local to L.A. but in the early to mid-90's, they were bought out by Popeyes and by 1995, there were very little remaining Pioneer restaurants around and only three remain today.

mmmm.... beer-battered lard :-L :-b

I'm serious, it was everything you'd want in a good piece of fried chicken. Crunchy and juicy. The big problem was, it was extremely greasy. When you bit into it, you risked hot fat and juice scalding your hands and mouth. I wouldn't even go to Pioneer once every three years because of that fact.

I've been to Pioneer a couple of times since 2000, but the sides weren't in brontosaurus-like portions as before. Still, every bit as good as I remember.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk