Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Zobrist/Butler for Hill/Morneau/Walden

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Zobrist/Butler for Hill/Morneau/Walden

Postby mkultra » Sun May 08, 2011 11:08 am

12-team H2H points league. Power hitters and power pitchers are the big points guys in my league. My offense is good, but my relief pitching has been awful this year (drafted Thornton, Broxton, Bard, traded for Contreras). I'm waiting for my CC and Ubaldo to come around and spark my rotation.

Walden would definitely help, as long as he's got the job. Morneau and Hill are big gambles for me. Would you give up Zobrist (on fire) and Butler (decent, but could be showing more power) for them? WHIR, as always!

My team:
R Martin
B Butler
B Zobrist
D Wright
D Jeter
C Gonzalez
D Stubbs
J Ellsbury
J Bruce
V Guerrero (R)
C Sabathia
G Floyd
G Gonzalez
R Wolf
U Jimenez
C Narveson (R)
K Drabek (R)
S Baker (R)
D Bard
E Sanchez
M Thornton (R)
J Broxton (I)
J Contreras (I)
mkultra
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 27)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Zobrist/Butler for Hill/Morneau/Walden

Postby BlueJaysFan » Sun May 08, 2011 11:28 am

I think you should go for it. Walden is the full time closer so that might help spark your pitching. Morneau should get back on track and could put up better numbers than Butler. The only part I'm not huge fan of is the Hill for Zobrist part, but zobrist should cool off soon. Hill on the other hand just got healthy and could put up big numbers, like he did a few years ago. Like you said it's a risky trade but I would go for it.

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=429841
BlueJaysFan
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -23)

Postby timaxman » Sun May 08, 2011 12:18 pm

I'll take the counter argument here. I do like Walden, but hill is a very up/down player, and I'm yet to be convinced Morneau has come back to what he is.

After Zobrits 2009 campaign I was a bit surprised by his 2010 playing, so him swinging a hot bat doesn't surprise me. I also think BB is a stud, so I'd stay put...personally.
Fantasy Baseball focused twitter! http://www.twitter.com/arv3403 Happy to answer questions/give advice, just send a tweet!
timaxman
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -8)

Postby jcave24 » Sun May 08, 2011 2:50 pm

If you really, really need a closer, I would say to take it, as I think Hill and Morneau will both be fine in a few weeks.

Please help

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=429881
jcave24
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -2)

Postby kidsilk » Sun May 08, 2011 2:57 pm

I would do this. You need a closer and Walden is good and Morneau is too good not to come around. Hill I am not so sure about though. Butler is solid but not great. Zobrist is on fire but will slow down and come back to earth.. I would do this.

please help

viewtopic.php?t=429880
Kidsilk
kidsilk
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 2076)

Postby timaxman » Sun May 08, 2011 3:44 pm

If you watch morneau's at bats, he is guessing at pitches, because he can't see the ball like he used to pre-concussion. You can be optimistic about him clearing the cobwebs, but I'm not. Something about the concussion has changed his vision for the ball, and there's a chance that I'll have to eat my words at the end of the season but I doubt it. He's far too big of a question mark right now to pull the trigger on.

If you could get a more trust worthy bat instead, I'd be fine making the trade, as mentiong before I like zobrist/BB, but the key to me not liking this trade is morneau.
Fantasy Baseball focused twitter! http://www.twitter.com/arv3403 Happy to answer questions/give advice, just send a tweet!
timaxman
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -8)

Postby StealingHome » Sun May 08, 2011 8:34 pm

Zobrist's numbers will be somewhere between 2010 and 2009. Forgiving his power numbers, I like Butler. It's a shame, but I feel Morneau won't put up the numbers he did in the past. While you do need saves, I wouldn't panic.I don't like this trade. How about seeing if he'd consider a pitcher instead?
StealingHome
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 9)

Postby theblemishedone » Sun May 08, 2011 8:46 pm

Are there any other relief pitchers out there on the wire?

I'd stand pat as Zobrist will not be going anywhere, especially if TB remains in contention. Same with Butler and the Royals.
theblemishedone
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -4)

Postby mkultra » Sun May 08, 2011 10:31 pm

I went ahead and pulled the trigger. I like Butler, but his lack of power holds him back in our league. His pitching is crap- the only A-listers he has are Liriano (bleah) and Weaver (won't trade). Saves are an extremely valuable commodity in our league- they're worth 10 points (same as a win), and we start 3 relievers.

It's a big risk trade, I know, but my team was looking like a 6th-place squad.
mkultra
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 27)

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions