Return to Baseball Leftovers

In need of explanations.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Lofunzo » Wed Mar 31, 2004 3:17 pm

Zito is God wrote:sportsline.com has him listed as hitting in the 2 spot.

http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/story/7043910

He will probably hit 2 or 3 in the lineup but I expect the stats to improve (except maybe SB's) in that ballpark.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -616)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mtarail » Wed Mar 31, 2004 3:30 pm

Hey Sevillano, if you're gonna use the quote feature to quote me, make sure it's something I said. You have someone else's words in my quote.

As for you Zito, I never dissed you personally. I just think you're wrong. ;-) I also don't think the grounds for your arguments are too strong--especially your Schmidt argument. We'll see in September how your "predictions" pan out. ;-D
Bluto: Over? Did you say over? NOTHING is over until WE decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? HELL, NO!
Otter: Germans?
Boon: Forget it, he's rolling.
mtarail
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Zito is God » Wed Mar 31, 2004 5:02 pm

I thought my Schmidt arguement was pretty good actually (except I messed yup the strikeout ability)
Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -54)

Postby KULCAT » Wed Mar 31, 2004 6:28 pm

Zito is NOT god
"Nothing is this world worth remembering was ever accomplished without Pasion"-Hegel
KULCAT
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Fantasy Expert
(Past Year: 8)

Postby KULCAT » Wed Mar 31, 2004 6:51 pm

The one problem i have with this site is that any time anyone states an opinion as simple as "i think X player is gonna have a good season" in comes some full of himself stat jockey with his bpi`s and .ops in the 2º week of the 8º inning of games that went into extrainnings in the month of august of 97 making ridicule of the guy just because he dared post his hunch. This mightier than god attitude makes me sick. First of all is crap because they miss as much a your average Joe. Ive said it before and ill say it again. If you take away the casual fan and the rookies nobody knows more than anybody else here. Not Hootie, Madison, Dgroundhog, Trans, Yikes or me. Same situation as with fantasy experts. The difference between us and them, is that they do it 24/7 and thats it. The info is outhere. Look at Ron Shandler who has somehow been appointed god by the fantasy communities and he makes tons of mistakes.
Fantasy baseball is not science and as much as we like our educated guesses there still a guess.
Personally, on draft day, when i have doubt on picking i go on gut feeling and on the motivation i feel the player has. Ive done pretty well on that and thats the way ill keep playing cause besides being succesfull its just been a lot of fun. I just lov grabbing a guy nobody wouldve picked that early and ripping the benefits. And when i miss i go to the waiver, i trade.... The worst thing that could happen is to loose. I think people here take this thing too serious. It will always be a game, as much as you wanna win(and i have 4 leagues wich i barely have time to checkand living in madrid ill have to get up at crazy hours just to check the scores) if youre not having fun either trying to stay ahead or trying not to finish last and grabbing keepers for next year then what the hell is the point?
So dont get mad if someones sends you a bad offer, dont veto and dont tell people to shut up cause youre better at copy pasting stat sites. Good riddance
"Nothing is this world worth remembering was ever accomplished without Pasion"-Hegel
KULCAT
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Fantasy Expert
(Past Year: 8)

Postby AcidRock23 » Wed Mar 31, 2004 7:00 pm

I'd have to point out that, even though I didn't agree with the Soriano downgrade in the original post, I like these sort of threads where we can talk about 'evidence' about who is worth rating where, rather than 'this player suxx' or 'that guy who said that player suxx suxx more' or whatever. That's what we need to beat the guys who are NOT hanging out at the café in our leagues....

And I steered clear of Chavez b/c of the leftie thing. I had Blalock at the start of last year while they were benching him against lefties and it was a pain in the ass.
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -18)

Postby mtarail » Wed Mar 31, 2004 8:54 pm

Zito is God wrote:I thought my Schmidt arguement was pretty good actually (except I messed yup the strikeout ability)

LOL. I know you liked your own argument :-?

But you never gave any worthwhile response to my argument which is, in a nutshell: Schmidt has had surgery on more than one occasion over the course of his career (I'm pretty sure that he's had at least two surgeries on his arm or shoulder as a major leaguer already) and done nothing but get better. So there's no reason to think that his stats are gonna take a major hit this year. It's not like the guy is getting Tommy John surgery or something that will ruin his velocity or location. As a matter of fact, in the spring training games in which he pitched he looked like his dominant self...
Bluto: Over? Did you say over? NOTHING is over until WE decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? HELL, NO!
Otter: Germans?
Boon: Forget it, he's rolling.
mtarail
General Manager
General Manager

Re: In need of explanations.

Postby wkelly91 » Wed Mar 31, 2004 8:59 pm

Zito is God wrote:
2.Johan Santana: I have a HUGE problem with this guy. He is on a bad team with a bad offense. He has TONS of endurance problems. Hes not as proven (in my opinion) as everyone seems to think he is. Hes shaky ebfore the all-star break. I just can't see this guy bieng a Top 30 Starting pitcher like most people make him out to be. I would take people like Brandon Webb, Matt Morris, and even go as far as taking David Wells over him.

You have a HUGE problem with Santana and you would take a 41 year old fat slob with back problems? And Santana has endurance problems... :-b
wkelly91
General Manager
General Manager

Postby AcidRock23 » Wed Mar 31, 2004 9:57 pm

Weren't the questions though about those guys being overrated, rather than picking vs. not picking?

That's a bit more delicate as, in a pinch, I'd be ok w Schmidt in maybe the 5th round or something like that but, if you are picking him there, you probably don't have another 'a' starter (if there even is such a thing this year...now that Prior has bitten the dust, all the top pitchers have had 'issues' at some time!). If Schmidt is your best pitcher, you had better get ready for a long year. Maybe he'll do fine, maybe he won't. His stats HAVE, for the most part been getting better every year but I don't like messing around w/ injuries that much as the waiver wire is ALREADY picked clean.

Soriano I still think is a good top 10 pick. Yes the Rangers will blow chunks but he'll be an élite player at what's potentially the worst performing position in the game. If he bats second, he gets more SB. Getting SB w/o having Pierre or Sanchez' weak bat = PRICELESS, IMHO!

Santana is the hardest one for me to read as I picked him based almost entirely on last year's stats and had focused on Prior for pitching and he went down like one or two days before the draft so I got Javier Vazquez instead. I knew he had some injury issues and was like 'nah' but, in RD 13, he seemed like a very good pick. Having drafted him there, even if he 'suxx', no tremendous loss.

Chavez, is another guy who's hard for me to read. He's pretty darn good but a slow starter and you almost need a backup against lefties. Eric Munson did about as well last year total as Chavez did against lefties!! It's only maybe 1/5 pitchers or so that will kill Chavez but is anyone drafting Munson? I don't think so.

There are lower profile 3b available (Blalock, Ensberg perhaps, Ramirez?). The OF who seem to go alongside of Chavez, in the live drafts I've seen and the draft I was in are WAY more productive. Like I said, to me the logical thing for Chavez to do would be to take some freaking BP off of Zito and get the hang of hitting lefties. THEN he'd be worth it. Anybody know what he did in the off season?

I'd also agree w/ Kulcat though that these are all total guesses and anything can happen once the real deal starts. Still though, waiting for the season to start, particularly w/ the 'spurt' of Tokyo baseball we had so far, is frustrating as heck. What better way to wait than to bounce this stuff around?
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby Guest » Wed Mar 31, 2004 10:39 pm

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers