Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Lowrie for Boggs

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Lowrie for Boggs

Postby BALCO All-Stars » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:32 am

14 team, 5x5 roto. C/1B/2B/3B/SS/OF/OF/OF/U/2 SP/2 RP/3 P/6 BN/2 DL, 1250 Max IP

I just picked up Lowrie on Saturday and have been riding some of the hot streak, but I am ideally looking to move him or Espinosa for a closer as I have Pedroia and Reyes manning 2B and SS respectively. The Boggs owner offered me him for Lowrie, and now I see Boggs got the save last night. I like Lowrie's potential plus the possibility of him gaining more eligibility (2 starts at 3B, 1 played at 1B). On the other hand, saves are HARD to come by in this league...all closers and setup men are drafted, and when a closer situation gets rocky, the #3 and #4 guys are normally picked up. I don't feel that getting Boggs is "selling high" although if he keeps the job all year I'd be happy (have no clue if this will happen)...thoughts?

My Jed Lowrie for his Mitchell Boggs

P.S. - I see all the hype around Lowrie right now and understand it based on last year's results plus this year's torrid start, but friggin Juan Uribe has 2B/3B/SS eligibility and can provide 20 HR...

C: Conger
1B: Ike Davis
2B: Pedroia
3B: A-Ram
SS: Reyes
OF: Holliday, Granderson, Abreu
UTIL: Hafner
BN: C Lee, Espinosa, Lowrie, Wells
DL: V-Mart
SP: Hamels, Cain, Dempster, Kennedy, Bedard, Jurrjens
RP: Nunez, Putz, McGee
DL: Kuo
BALCO All-Stars
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Lowrie for Boggs

Postby BALCO All-Stars » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:25 am

bump
BALCO All-Stars
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby sixer03fan » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:57 am

It's a relatively minor trade either way, so you shouldn't sweat this too much... You're trading an offensive bench player that you will pretty much never use for a potential closer, that may or may not get the job, that may or may not keep the job. But I understand you're interest in Boggs, as saves are hard to come by in your league.

This is just my opinion, but I think Lowrie is going to be a stud this year, so I wouldn't settle for a relief pitcher whose closing duties have yet to be seen... But if that's the best you can get, then don't hesitate to go for it, because it doesn't look like Lowrie is going to play much for you anyways.

I'm a little confused about what you were saying about Uribe... Do you have him on your team? Are you going to trade for him? Are you going to pick him up?
sixer03fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -1)

Postby BALCO All-Stars » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:01 am

My Uribe comment was just an off the cuff comparison to Lowrie's potential production. Uribe plays 2B/3B/SS and can give you 20 HR, 70+ RBI (24 HR, 85 RBI, 64 R in 2009), which is what Lowrie is projected to do (more or less), but nobody is all crazy hyped about Uribe (me included).

I feel the same way...Lowrie has the potential to breakout and has a lot of position eligibility, while I feel I could probably snag one closer during the year, plus who knows with McGee becoming the Tampa closer...side note...this same owner has Farnsworth...I like going for Farnsworth more than Boggs since I should have the TB closer if I have both Farnsy and McGee...although I still am not 100% sure about trading Lowrie for a very low end closer.

Anyone else?
BALCO All-Stars
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby BALCO All-Stars » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:27 pm

bumpski
BALCO All-Stars
Major League Manager
Major League Manager