Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Fair Offer for Felix

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Fair Offer for Felix

Postby cs3 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:36 pm

Im looking to possibly trade some of my excess hitting for another elite pitcher to round out my staff.
Im considering offering Bautista + Pineda or Beachy or Zimmerman + a 9th or 10th rd draft pick
for Felix Hernandez
does that seem like a fair deal, or something that you would even consider if you owned the King and your OF was really weak?
It would be a 4th/5th round bat + a young high ceiling arm + an early/midround pick for an early 3rd round pitcher.
We start 4 OF adn 1 UT in this league and he is starting Choo, Pence, Hunter, Stubbs - his backups are Adam Jones and Beltran.
So not much power at all.
And his other non-OF UT options are currently Chipper Jones and Posada. Shaky at best.

Here is my roster:
Batters
C: Carlos Santana (C)
1B: Miguel Cabrera (1B)
2B: Jed Lowrie (2B,SS)
3B: Kevin Youkilis (1B,3B)
SS: Starlin Castro (SS)
OF: Jose Bautista (3B,OF), Justin Upton (OF), Matt Holliday (OF), Jacoby Ellsbury (OF)
Util: Prince Fielder (1B)
BN: Curtis Granderson (OF), Kelly Johnson (2B)

Pitchers
SP: Mat Latos (SP), Jordan Zimmermann (SP), Daniel Hudson (SP), Jon Lester (SP)
RP: Jose Contreras (RP), Craig Kimbrel (RP)
P: Jordan Walden (RP), Huston Street (RP)
BN: Michael Pineda (SP), Brandon Beachy (SP), Max Scherzer (SP), Travis Wood (SP)
DL: Frank Francisco (RP), Brandon Morrow (SP), Stephen Strasburg (SP)

If you think I should offer something else or not make a trade at all lemme know why?
also leave me a link and ill help you out,
Thanks!
cs3
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Fair Offer for Felix

Postby sigriffey » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:13 pm

I like that idea a lot ... you have a stacked lineup and could use one more ace type. what you have suggested should get it done. If you can hang onto Pineda, try to and see if he would take Baustista, Zimmerman and the pick.
sigriffey
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 49)

Postby Garry26 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:33 pm

Latos/Lester/Scherzer is a nice combo. Its hard to have 4 ace-types in a rotation.

Isnt Holliday hurt? Will you be ok with Upton/GrandyMan/Ellsbury til he returns? Or if he stays hurt for a longer period of time?

Bautista for Felix is good, but Im biased because I value hitters more. The SP on the side makes it a more serious offer. But there are decent SPs available on the wire on all my leagues (including Beachy & Pineda) so it might not entice him.

How will the loss of Felix leave his rotation? Will he have 2 ace-types left? I feel you need at least 2 aces to do well in pitching. If he has 1 ace left, he may decline because itll hurt his chances.
I love mock drafts.
Garry26
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 36)

Postby sigriffey » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:35 pm

Good points he makes ... if that guy needs to retain some SP, maybe you throw him a Scherzer, Granderson and pick for Felix offer and hang onto your other starting OF...
sigriffey
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 49)

Postby Garry26 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:04 pm

Problem is he doesnt want to upgrade his aces. He wants another one.

One of my drafts ended up funny. I usually gun for 3 aces (2 minimum), but events conspired against me. Much better hitters were available than SPs during my turn, and the difference was too much for me to get the SP over the hitter. So I ended up with Sabathia as my lone ace and 4-5 good-but-not-aces SPs. I keep getting great offers for Sabbathia, but I cant accept because it'll mean I probably lose.

You can grab good SPs off the wire. It can be done. An ace... not unless another Price pops up.

There are trades you cant accept no matter what is offered.
-Cant give up your stud 1B unless you have another on utl (same for 3B)
-Cant give up your speedster unless your leftover speed is enough for mid-pack points
-Cant give up an Ace SP unless you have 2 left
-Its easier to give up a stud SS/2B because its easier to find a good replacement on WW
Exceptions apply of course

But generally, I need one power 1B, 3B, 2-3 ace SPs, 3 closers, speed @ 2B/SS since power is rare there, and best case scenario, I gun for extra 1B or 3B at utl for addional power + deprive other team of a starting power 1B/3B. If not, speed demon at utl.

That's the formula man.
I love mock drafts.
Garry26
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 36)

Postby cs3 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:22 pm

Garry26 wrote:Isnt Holliday hurt? Will you be ok with Upton/GrandyMan/Ellsbury til he returns? Or if he stays hurt for a longer period of time?

i dont see anything anywhere about holliday getting hurt today.
cs3
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby cs3 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:24 am

After further discussion, the Felix owner is apparently not interested in granderson, but would definitely love to have Bautista, Holliday, or J.Up

So if i do make a move is Bautista the right guy to trade?
cs3
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby rjforlife » Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:43 am

cs3 wrote:After further discussion, the Felix owner is apparently not interested in granderson, but would definitely love to have Bautista, Holliday, or J.Up

Depends on what else you have to add in. Honestly, Bautista is looking pretty legit so only sell him if you get value for 35+ HR and good stats everywhere else but AVG. I could see selling J-Up since his numbers look nice now and you could probably get Felix for J-Up/Beachy/Pick, which is a very solid deal.

Help:

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=428052
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 247)

Postby cs3 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:11 am

I should also mention that this is an OBP league
We count R, HR, RBI, SB, HITS, OBP

so bautista probably has more value than in standard formats
cs3
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby mak1277 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:43 am

rjforlife wrote:
cs3 wrote:After further discussion, the Felix owner is apparently not interested in granderson, but would definitely love to have Bautista, Holliday, or J.Up

Depends on what else you have to add in.

I agree with this last comment. I have no issue with having Bautista/Felix as a foundation for a deal, but I think you need to be careful about what else you give up. That said, I personally wouldn't feel all that upset losing Beachy or Zimmermann.

Help? viewtopic.php?t=428072
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 1)

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions