Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

GET LESTER & BUMGARNER ** WHIR **

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

GET LESTER & BUMGARNER ** WHIR **

Postby Seanyfever » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:56 pm

I was just offered the following deal, and I am tempted seriously to accept. I believe I am getting the better player in the deal, but I guess I am passing on a few man crushes.... Beckham, Pineda, and Wilson.... Wilson is a significant part of my team... I have other low end closers.... Beckham is a back up now and sometimes utility. I have Pedrioa. Pineda was a bay of mine at beginning of year. He looks to be as good as I thought, but I am sure there will be an innings cap on him. Here is the deal.

I GIVE: G. Beckham, M. Pineda, and B. Wilson
I GET: J. Lester and M. Bumgarner

Lester and Bumgarner have been a tad slow out of the gate, but is it not the best time to buy.

14 Team League. Head to Head. In our 9th year.
11 Keepers. Contracts are 3 years only.
With Buddies Since Tee Ball. Competitive $$$
Built a crazy team w some lucky draft picks then trades.
Best year was grabbing Howard, Papelbon, Liriano, and Verlander. All out of the gate!
Contracts Renew When Traded/Drafted
Contract Expiration Years in ( )
Compete in following 6x6 areas:
OBP H HR RBI R SB
WHIP IP ERA SO W SV

MY ROSTER
C Chris Ianetta (2013)
1B Prince Fielder (2013)
2B Dustin Pedroia (2012)
OF Jay Bruce (2013)
OF Josh Hamilton (2011)
OF Matt Holliday (2011)
Util Kevin Youkilis (1B/3B) (2012)

Bench
OF Jacoby Ellsbury (2013)
3B Michael Young (2013)
2B Gordon Beckham (2013)
1B Brandon Belt (2013)

Pitching Staff (Play 8/week)(Usually 6 SP/2 CP)
SP Tim Lincecum (2012)
SP Cliff Lee (2012)
SP Brett Anderson (2012)
SP Anibal Sánchez (2012)
SP Michael Pineda (2012)
SP C.J. Wilson (2012)
SP Bud Norris (2012)
SP Dallas Braden (2012)
CP Brian Wilson (2012)
CP Craig Kimbrel (2012)
CP Ryan Franklin (2012)
CP Brandon Lyon (2012)
CP Drew Storen (2012)
Last edited by Seanyfever on Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Expos... Gone, but not forgotten.
Seanyfever
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Response Team
(Past Year: 308)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: GET LESTER & BUMGARNER ** WHIR **

Postby skones » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:14 pm

Any other pitcher player you could get out of him? I'm not high on Bumgarner at all this season, but I would definitely pull the trigger on this. Lester is a long term piece that makes your team better. I'm not sure any of the guys you'll be sending out will be on your keeper list for next season. Beckham is a spot play on your squad and will probably be one for the forseeable future with Pedroia in the fold.
skones
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -1)

Postby afern401 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:42 pm

THis is a tough one but I say go for it (even more if you can get a player you like better than Bumgarner). I wouldnt want to rely on that RP corps without Wilson however. Additional moves would likely be needed. Thanks for your help with mine
afern401
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 23)

Postby theblemishedone » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:18 pm

No way, dude.

Keep Wilson, especially since it looks like he is going to duplicate last year (and he still isn't 100 percent, which is scary).

Beckham has been hot since the start and it doesn't look like he'll be cooling off anytime soon.

Pineda will be capped, but ride him out in the meantime.

Also, try to get Boggs (Cardinals) off of your w/w (if he's still available).

Seanyfever wrote:I was just offered the following deal, and I am tempted seriously to accept. I believe I am getting the better player in the deal, but I guess I am passing on a few man crushes.... Beckham, Pineda, and Wilson.... Wilson is a significant part of my team... I have other low end closers.... Beckham is a back up now and sometimes utility. I have Pedrioa. Pineda was a bay of mine at beginning of year. He looks to be as good as I thought, but I am sure there will be an innings cap on him. Here is the deal.

I GIVE: G. Beckham, M. Pineda, and B. Wilson
I GET: J. Lester and M. Bumgarner

Lester and Bumgarner have been a tad slow out of the gate, but is it not the best time to buy.

14 Team League. Head to Head. In our 9th year.
11 Keepers. Contracts are 3 years only.
theblemishedone
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -4)

Postby kaiser » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:29 pm

Yes, I think you do this for sure. It will leave you a little short at CL, but well worth adding Lester to an already killer staff.
kaiser
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 171)

Postby SleuterBomber » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:33 pm

I think you pull the trigger on this deal as well.

Jon Lester is the best player in this deal, and while Beckham is a promising player, you have Dustin Pedroia. When Gordon is played outside of 2B or MI (utility), he is not as valuable to your lineup.

Michael Pineda is very promising as well, but we have to keep in mind how young he is. I have him in one of my leagues as well, and I am praying he keeps this up for most of the first half of the season so that I can capitalize on his inflated stock and get something better in return. Young pitchers rarely put together entire seasons of spectacular play, as their arms get tired and veteran hitters make adjustments. There is also the very real possibility of a sophomore slump. It isn't like you're going to keep him as one of your 11 keepers either.

Do the deal and enjoy the best pitching staff in the league.
SleuterBomber
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby billycent » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:34 pm

U gotta do this one... u getter Lester. The only place it kinda hurts you is RP which we all know can change at a moments notice and good options are always popping up on the ww. Thnx for the help on mine.
billycent
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -2)

Postby Mr. D » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:59 pm

I like the deal, you are getting the best player in Lester. We know the deal on Pineda with an innings cap & pitching for a bad team so wins will be tough just look at Felix record last year. I watch Lester all the time as a sox fan & he is the real deal, I know less about bumgarner!
Mr. D
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -2)

Postby rjforlife » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:17 am

Honestly I don't love it, but it's really hard to pass up. Bumgarner has been crappy this season but he is not a bad pitcher. Lester is gonna be solid but is he worth all this? It's tough, because I think Pineda is legit, Beckham could be a star, and Wilson is as good as they come. I guess the main issue is weighing Lester vs. Pineda. It's clear that Wilson/Beckham are far better than BumG and it's not even close. The question is how good is Pineda. I think you are buying a bit low on Lester but maybe you could do better? Try something of an upgrade for BumG but don't get greedy, this is still a good trade for you. Thanks for the help on mine and good luck getting max value out of Pineda here.
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 247)

Postby sigriffey » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:19 am

You are set with Pedroia and Lester is a great addition so I say it is worth I, ESP given the likely innings cap and whatnot.
sigriffey
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 49)

Next

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions