Return to Baseball Leftovers

Im new at fantasy baseball...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Im new at fantasy baseball...

Postby ngub12 » Sun Mar 28, 2004 9:55 pm

after having some success with fantasy football this fall, my buddy asked me to participate in his fantasy baseball league. i know nothing about strategy so i was wondering if someone wanted to throw me a few pointers.

thanks guys
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Payne Dailey » Sun Mar 28, 2004 9:59 pm

The draft is pretty important. Usually take hitters over pitchers they are more dependable. Get as prepared for your draft by using cheat sheets and injury reports(
Stay active and use the wavier wire as if it was yours alone. Most importantly have fun.
Payne Dailey
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby NY Yankees Fan 2004 » Sun Mar 28, 2004 10:00 pm

Spend time and read through the Cafe! It will be very helpful!
2005 Fantasy Baseball Champion
NY Yankees Fan 2004
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Mon Mar 29, 2004 12:38 am

Welcome to the Cafe'! ;-D

Take a look around, read as much as you can, use the "search" feature at the top of the screen, and ask any questions that you might have. :-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -1)

Postby DGroundhog » Mon Mar 29, 2004 4:20 am

Study, study study. This usually means looking at several cheatsheets, looking at (if not participating in) a few mock drafts, reading topics in the forum and getting other viewpoints.

You might want to take a peek at some of ESPN's live drafts as they are going on, at least the first 6-10 rounds or so. That is where you 'build' your team. Later round picks are usually for filling holes, taking a gamble on an up and coming player, taking the best available player, etc.

Be aware of different draft strategies like LIMA, 3 OF early, 'strong at the corners', 'strong up the middle', dominant pitcher strategy, etc. I've won leagues drafting 3 SP first, and won not drafting SP until like the 6th round.

I would say try to get 2 top SP, and 2 OF in your first 6 picks. I would not generally grab a RP in my first 6 picks.

SP's with high K rates and ERA's of 3 or lower are huge advantages to own. I try to anchor my staff with at least 2 of them, if you ignore SP early, you likely miss out on them.

Pedro, Prior, Schilling, Halladay, Hudson, Vazquez, Johnson, Wood, Oswalt, Zito, Beckett, Santana are guys I drool over owning. Gimme 2 of them in the first 6 rounds, and I'm, a pretty happy owner. Pedro might be worth a first round pick after pick 7, otherwise I wait until round 2. Prior thru Halladay are solid 2nd round picks. Hudson Vazquez maybe end of the 2nd early third. Johnson and Wood are solid 3rd rounders. The other s should be picked up around round 4 or 5, with Beckett and Santana maybe lasting until round 6.

There are still many good SP after them, but these are the guys I put at a premium this year. I may have forgotten a couple, but Schmidt and Moose were left off intentionally (injury, and not a personal favorite respectively)

* Steroid induced record
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Baseball Leftovers