Return to Baseball Leftovers

Buy Low/Sell High Thread

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Buy Low/Sell High Thread

Postby pmstick » Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:22 am

Inukchuk wrote:
pmstick wrote:Leagues where lineups are set weekly: Jon Lester Sell High.

His starts will be limited come fantasy playoff time to try and rest his arm for the postseason.


...and you heard this where?


Second one down

http://easfbbl.baseball.cbssports.com/p ... ews/580589

Says: Lester could be skipped in futureUpdated 6/21/11
Lester, Jon SP BOS
News: Boston SP Jon Lester, who went eight strong in his last start against the Brewers but failed to win his 10th victory of the season, met with manager Terry Francona on Tuesday to discuss the "long run," reports WEEI.com. “We actually sat with Lester today just to kind of get his feelings on some things because to get where we want to go, we’re going to have to lean on some guys, there’s no getting around it," Francona said. "However you say it, the more gas they have left in the tank, the better.” Analysis: The Red Sox want Lester fresh and healthy in August and September and they will consider skipping him at times going forward to that end. Currently, Lester is still on track for his Week 12 (June 20-26) start on Friday in Pittsburgh, but owners will have to pay attention when and if Francona decides to give him a start off in the future. For now, Lester remains a worthy Fantasy start in all mixed leagues.
12 Team H2H

C Posey (1B)
1B Butler
2B Pedroia
SS Andrus
3B Prado (2B, OF)
OF Harper, Heyward, Craig (1B)
UTL Jennings
SP Darvish, Latos, Cobb, Moore
RP Balfour

B Burnett, Ross, Wood, Dickey, Porcello, Kennedy
B Eaton

DL Holland+
pmstick
College Coach
College Coach


Posts: 195
(Past Year: 5)
Joined: 8 Apr 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: SE CT

Re: Buy Low/Sell High Thread

Postby wrveres » Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:31 am

pmstick wrote:His starts will be limited come fantasy playoff time to try and rest his arm for the postseason.

Sox wrote:The Red Sox want Lester fresh and healthy in August and September
what am i missing?
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
Posts: 31782
(Past Year: 265)
Joined: 2 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Buy Low/Sell High Thread

Postby ABA316 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:52 am

The Sox have lost Matsuzaka for the year (and then some)..Lackey has been injured and ineffective as well. So if you get in a playoff you have Beckett, Lester, Buchholz, Lackey. Not sure you can risk not having Lester at his best with his surrounding cast there.
ABA316
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 736
Joined: 24 Aug 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Buy Low/Sell High Thread

Postby SOUTHSIDE HITMEN » Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:52 am

I don't know if this was already covered but is Shields a sell high? He has 6 CG this season, he had 5 for his whole career before this season. This guy's been money for me. What do you guys think?

C-AJ
1-Fielder
2-Phillips
3-KF Panda
S-Jeter
O-Carlos Gonzalez
O-Quentin
O-Granderson
DH-Howard

SP-Chacin
SP-Lincecum
SP-Shields
SP-C.J. Wilson
SP-Tomlin
RP-Bell
RP-Rivera

BENCH

3-Callaspo
2-Kendrick
0-Rasmus
SP-Billingsly
SP-B Norris
SP-Loshe
SOUTHSIDE HITMEN
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 848
Joined: 26 Feb 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Buy Low/Sell High Thread

Postby kab21 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:40 am

ABA316 wrote:The Sox have lost Matsuzaka for the year (and then some)..Lackey has been injured and ineffective as well. So if you get in a playoff you have Beckett, Lester, Buchholz, Lackey. Not sure you can risk not having Lester at his best with his surrounding cast there.


All I read into this is Lester getting skipped 1-2 times during the season and probably the last week of the season. Not that big of a deal imo. And this could happen to any playoff bound starter.
My website - The World Is Not That Big
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
Posts: 5371
(Past Year: 107)
Joined: 24 Nov 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Buy Low/Sell High Thread

Postby wrveres » Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:19 am

I'm not saying you should actively pursue the guy, but if you are swapping players, Gordon Beckham might not be a bad gamble as a toss in. I bet his owners would jump at the chance to get rid of him too. I was getting ready to drop him for a scrubby mi type, before i went looking for reasons not to drop Beckham.
I think i found one.

Split	        AB	2B	HR	RBI	BB	AVG	OBP	SLG	OPS
Pre-All Star 623 29 12 63 46 0.231 0.294 0.339 0.633
Post-All Star 431 32 17 70 47 0.285 0.363 0.487 0.851
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
Posts: 31782
(Past Year: 265)
Joined: 2 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Buy Low/Sell High Thread

Postby AquaMan2342 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:57 am

wrveres wrote:I'm not saying you should actively pursue the guy, but if you are swapping players, Gordon Beckham might not be a bad gamble as a toss in. I bet his owners would jump at the chance to get rid of him too. I was getting ready to drop him for a scrubby mi type, before i went looking for reasons not to drop Beckham.
I think i found one.

Split	        AB	2B	HR	RBI	BB	AVG	OBP	SLG	OPS
Pre-All Star 623 29 12 63 46 0.231 0.294 0.339 0.633
Post-All Star 431 32 17 70 47 0.285 0.363 0.487 0.851


Actually just came to post about Beckham. I believe someone else on here posted about Javier Vazquez also who would be a solid pick up right now.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Posts: 7852
Joined: 19 Sep 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Re: Buy Low/Sell High Thread

Postby kab21 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:51 pm

AquaMan2342 wrote:
wrveres wrote:I'm not saying you should actively pursue the guy, but if you are swapping players, Gordon Beckham might not be a bad gamble as a toss in. I bet his owners would jump at the chance to get rid of him too. I was getting ready to drop him for a scrubby mi type, before i went looking for reasons not to drop Beckham.
I think i found one.

Split	        AB	2B	HR	RBI	BB	AVG	OBP	SLG	OPS
Pre-All Star 623 29 12 63 46 0.231 0.294 0.339 0.633
Post-All Star 431 32 17 70 47 0.285 0.363 0.487 0.851


Actually just came to post about Beckham. I believe someone else on here posted about Javier Vazquez also who would be a solid pick up right now.


I'm still starting him in my 14 tm'er but it's either him, Bartlett or Mous until my DL empties. But his plate discipline is becoming awful. He's swinging at 38% of the pitches out of the K zone and his BB rate has fallen significantly each season while his K rate inches up. I'm just not interested anymore.
My website - The World Is Not That Big
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
Posts: 5371
(Past Year: 107)
Joined: 24 Nov 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Buy Low/Sell High Thread

Postby Zito is God » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:24 pm

Liriano for Beachy in a Dynasty league. Who got the better end of the deal?
Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 4169
Joined: 11 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Secretly advising Cashman.

Re: Buy Low/Sell High Thread

Postby kaiser » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:52 pm

Zito is God wrote:Liriano for Beachy in a Dynasty league. Who got the better end of the deal?


I'll take the Beachy side.
Image
kaiser
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
EditorCafeholicCafe Ranker
Posts: 5569
(Past Year: 181)
Joined: 8 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Genco Olive Oil Co.

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests