Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

My Cliff Lee and Morales for Cano WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

My Cliff Lee and Morales for Cano WHIR

Postby Jungy69 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:01 am

10 Team money league. 7x6 league H2H. I punted saves hence all the setup pitching I got.

He offered me Robinson Cano and Johnny Perrelta

for My Cliff Lee and Kendrys Morales

Beckham is performing real good but I think Cano is a 1st round stud. I drafted Kendry in the 7th and Lee in the 4th. It looks like a decent deal but thought I would ask for more opinions. Thanks guys.

Batting Stats:

C - Kurt Suzuki (Oak)
1B - Albert Pujols (StL)
2B - Gordon Beckham (CWS)
SS - Starlin Castro (ChC)
3B - Casey McGehee (Mil)
OF - Matt Kemp (LAD)
OF - Alex Rios (CWS)
OF - Jacoby Ellsbury (Bos)
Util - Delmon Young (Min)
Util - Carlos Quentn (CWS)
DL - Kendrys Morales (LAA)

Pitching Stats

SP - Cliff Lee (Phi)
SP - James Shields (TB)
SP- Matt Cain (SF)
SP - Felix Hernandez (Sea)
SP- Jon Lester (Bos)
SP- Gio Gonzalez (Oak)
SP - Matt Garza (ChC)
SP - Jaime Garcia (StL)
SP - Erik Bedard (Sea)
RP - Rafael Soriano (NYY)
RP - Hong-Chih Kuo (LAD)
RP - Aroldis Chapman (Cin)
RP - Jonny Venters (Atl)

Don't hesitate to leave a link. ;-D
Last edited by Jungy69 on Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Isnt my avatar just the cutest? ^-^
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: My Cliff Lee and Morales for Cano WHIR

Postby lane_anasazi2 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:34 am

I think you have to jump on that. All else being equal, hitting > pitching. While I don't think Cano is quite 1st round material, he's obviously very good, and an upgrade even though Becks is a popular choice for a bounceback year. Your pitching is pretty sick and you can absorb the loss of Lee. Beckham would be a nice bit of trade bait, then.

Hang on, just looked at the pitching stats. BB/9 kind of swings this more to a very even trade. Cliff Lee is deathly allergic to walks. And though you don't need Morales, he certainly would slot nicely into that UTL spot. Dang. I was all for it until I saw that you use BB/9. Might have to hesitate here. Peralta is a silly throw in. Maybe offer Lee and say, Carlos Quentn for just Cano. A very close call. Personally, if I had your team even though I'd second guess myself I'd stand pat. I have a gut feeling Cano will be good-not-great, and Lee really shines with those pitching cats.

Take a look at mine when you get the chance: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=426171
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Writer
(Past Year: 9)

Postby panjam » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:49 am

I agree with the last're giving up too much in this deal. An absolute monster in Cliff Lee & a solid 1B with 30 HR potential. I also think Beckham will bounce back this year. He hit .320 in the second half of 2010 and he's hitting second in the middle of a powerful CHW lineup this year too. My guess is he'll score close to 100 runs. Obviously he's no Cano, but I don't believe your 2B situation is as bad as you think.

Unless you think Cano will improve on last year's numbers, which I think is unlikely, I'd reject this trade. He'd have to include somebody a lot more useful than Peralta to make this a fair deal.
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby MaudDib » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:45 pm

I would stand pat as well. You don't need a 2B and Lee has more value in this kind of league. If you could get something better than Peralta, then I would think about it.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 12)

Postby bobnerns » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:15 pm

I'd probably like to stand pat here. You can absorb the loss of Cliff Lee because your staff is very solid, but I don't think it's that worth it to give up both Morales and Lee for Cano. Peralta is completely useless and probably untradable if you got him.
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions