Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

New to Fantasy Baseball, 16 team Mixed 8 x 8 league

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

New to Fantasy Baseball, 16 team Mixed 8 x 8 league

Postby Taubej » Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:29 pm

So I'm new to fantasy baseball (have played once but didn't follow it too much) Have played fantasy football for about fifteen years now. So i've been reading a lot, mostly on ESPN, and all their analysis is geared towards 5x5 leagues. Does strategy change considerably with 8x8 categories? Here are the complete settings: I pick 16th & 17th(snake draft).
Hitting categories:
On Base Percentage, Runs Scored, Runs Created, RBIs, Total Bases, Net Stolen Bases, Filding Percentage, Strikeouts

Pitching Categories:
ERA, WHIP, Strikeouts, Quality Starts, HR's allowed, Wins, Losses, Saves plus holds.

We have 25 Roster Spots and start: C, 1B, 2B, SS, 3B, RF, LF, CF, Util, SP (5), RP (6).

Anyone have any strategy suggestions? I'm kinda lost.
Taubej
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Football

Re: New to Fantasy Baseball, 16 team Mixed 8 x 8 league

Postby fast dogs » Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:10 pm

In these settings hitters who strike out alot and sb only guys get taken down a notch. With so many pitching positions in your league you might want to take pitching a little earlier than their ADP. You'll also need to draft holds guys toward the end of the draft as most leagues don't use middle relievers much
and its always a good idea to do a couple mock drafts in 16 team mocks to help you understand how your real roster might end up
When asking for roster advice in these pages, remember there are thousands of different sets of league rules & many different active roster settings. If you want the best replies, be sure to include your leagues particulars in the original post
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 144)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: New to Fantasy Baseball, 16 team Mixed 8 x 8 league

Postby mkultra » Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:25 pm

S+H for pitchers devalues closers somewhat, especially ones with bad peripherals (Ryan Franklin, Brian Fuentes, etc.).

QS helps "good pitchers on bad teams"- guys with great peripherals who can't scrape together wins (Felix is an extreme example).
mkultra
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 40)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions