Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Trade down?!? My 4th pick for his 9th pick? WHIR!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Trade down?!? My 4th pick for his 9th pick? WHIR!

Postby TheGhost » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:34 am

I'm considering trading out of the 4th slot and down to the 9th. I play in a H2H total points league, 10 teams and the scoring is weighted towards pitching. Halladay, Felix and Lincecum will all be top 5 picks and C.C. will be in the top 10. I'm considering taking a bat with my first pick and could potentially get a Tulo or a Miggy in the 9th slot. Should I trade down? Even though I wouldn't mind trading down for a higher second rounder... is it worth it considering the rest of the draft? Where does the top level talent run out and would I be trading out of that tier by having a lower third round pick?

Thanks and WHIR!
TheGhost
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 57)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Trade down?!? My 4th pick for his 9th pick? WHIR!

Postby CGHitman14 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:41 am

Unless your league is so pitcher friendly that batters are deemed irrelevant, then I'd take a sure fire bat in round one. If you really think that trading out of the 4th pick and landing the 9th will allow you to draft someone like Cabrera, I think the trade is an easy one to make.

When you trade from the 4th to the 9th, what are you getting with the 9th pick to make the deal of value to you?
CGHitman14
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Valandir » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:16 pm

Another thing to think about is how long you'll have to wait between picks with the 9th pick. Some people like it, but personally I hate drafting back to back - you end up having your hands tied with having to make back to back decisions without as much time to see how the draft is moving, or I find myself reaching for players just because I know it'll be forever between picks.

Is it possible to get a larger value out of your pick than you currently have? If there are 4 SPs in the top 10 being picked, you'll absolutely end up with a bat at 9, but I'd try to see if you could squeak out another late round draft pick or something - either that or work out a trade in advance with the other player to draft a player for you and trade after the draft - I'm not sure how your league rules work, but if that's an option, I'd pursue that first.

I do agree with the idea of getting bats over pitchers though, pitching is definitely deep this year and you'll still get value after the top tier of pitchers. Just remember - if you keep the 4th pick, you can still pick whatever bat you want. Are the players you're targeting in the 2nd round going to be gone by the 17th pick? I'm thinking that it might not actually have that much effect, and in that case, I'd rather have a pick in the middle of the pack to spread out your pick timing - it's a personal preference I guess.

Help with mine? viewtopic.php?t=424807, thanks! (New information at the bottom of the thread)
Valandir
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Joscellin » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:26 pm

This really depends on two things:

1.) Just how weighted towards pitching is the scoring system?

2.) What are you getting in return for trading down.
Joscellin
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions