Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Keeper: Halladay or Lincecum? WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Keeper: Halladay or Lincecum? WHIR

Postby sigriffey » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:52 am

I know this is normally a no-brainer... you read "keeper" and usually go with youth.

But, since we can keep only 6 players for a maximum of only 3 years in this league, should I try to shop Tim Lincecum for Roy Halladay or stand pat? Both are on contracts that won't see them fall back into the draft until March of 2014.

I know the Halladay owner well and could probably get the deal done. But is it not worth taking on Halladay's age and that iffy Philly offensive support? Will Timmy hold up over the course of his keeper contract?

12 Team H2H with 6 keepers

Unique sets of Stats: R, 1B, 2B, 3B, HR, RBI, SB, BB, AVG -- IP, CG, W, L, ER, ERA, K, SV, WHIP

My Team (* means i throw them back at the end of 2011)

C K. Suzuki
1B A. Gonzalez
2B G.Beckham
3B E. Longoria*
SS D. Jeter
OF C. Gonzalez
OF A. McCutchen
OF J. Ellsbury
UT M. Stanton
UT C. Granderson
UT L. Berkman
BN G. Sizemore
BN T. Wiginton
BN P. Bourjos

SP F. Hernandez
SP T. Lincecum
SP W. Rodriguez
RP C. Perez
RP R. Soriano
P B. Lyon
P J. Venters
P B. Anderson
BN J. Vazquez
BN D. Braden
BN S. Strasburg (will soon be on DL and open up roster spot)
sigriffey
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 49)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Keeper: Halladay or Lincecum? WHIR

Postby misterf » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:02 am

Since there is a max of 3 years.....I would prefer Halladay.

And I say that as a Giants fan. Lincicum hit a few rough spots last season. Plus he is so small...and his delivery is so unique....I worry about how long he can remain this dominant.

If you would be able to keep them indefinitely, i would say take the chance tiny tim can keep it going......but since Halladay has at least 2 more years in him, that's who I would prefer.

help with mine?

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=425064
misterf
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 60)

Postby Valandir » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:58 am

I think Halladay is more valuable over the next three years total than Lincecum. Don't mind the iffy Phillies support, you're paying for his ability anyways, so he'll get the wins (plus it's not like SF's run support is massive either).

You might worry about regression from Halladay, so there's definitely more risk with him, but there's so much more value as well. Think of all the CGs he throws and the innings he pitches. Even if you only get 1-2 years of "Doc" from him, that's a lot of value.

Help with mine? (New info is at the bottom of the thread) viewtopic.php?f=26&t=424807, thanks!
Valandir
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby plapre3 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:50 am

Another vote here for Halladay. With a max of 3 years for the keeper, he's likely to be better. He's shown no signs of slowing down and should be the the type of pitcher, like a Mussina, Clemens, Glavine, that ages well. Lincecum actually scares me a bit as he's seen a 3 year decline in his velocity... and averaged a FB speed of only 91.4 last season. I think he'll still be good, but I don't think he's the dominant pitcher of 2 seasons ago anymore.

viewtopic.php?t=425071
plapre3
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby avsfan4ever33 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:31 am

Go with Halladay if you can get a deal done. The Phillies offense may not be as strong as it was a few years ago, but it's still better than the Giants offense who has to support Lincecum. Halladay is the undisputed #1 fantasy pitcher in my mind, so it's well worth trading for him.
avsfan4ever33
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -9)

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions