Well, only technically speaking - there isn't any time limit.
I'm currently drafting 3rd in a 12-team H2H points league, and I'm mulling over pick #27 at the moment. The scoring system is fairly standard, or so it seems. Every total base is a point (So doubles are two, trips three, etc). Steals are worth two, Caught is minus 1. Strikeout to walk ratio helps a ton, because walks get you a point while strikeouts cost you the same (So guys like Reynolds are borderline garbage).
Pitching seems a little strange. Every out is +0.5, so innings completed are 1.5 total. Hits, walks, HBPs are all -0.5 while Ks are +1.0. Wins and losses affect you positively and negatively by 2.5, respectively.
Looking at the points rankings, it seems like batters are generally favored over pitchers. With that, batters who have decent to strong K/BB ratios have the edge over strikeout prone guys. For pitchers, those who have strong strikeout numbers are ALWAYS good.
Currently I have Miguel Cabrera and Joe Mauer. I feel like I should go ahead and draft another batter, maybe even one at another thin position who has strong K/BB numbers (And is still ranked at or near the top of their position atm).
Here's who I am looking at:
- Ian Kinsler (Top projected 2B left. Chase Utley is right behind him, but I feel like Kinsler is less the injury threat atm)
- Utley (I'm not up to date on his situation, but it doesn't sound good)
- Jose Reyes (Top remain SS, not far from top remaining total scorers)
- Outfielders (McCutchen, Victorino, Ethier, Markakis. I really don't want to draft OFs yet, it seems like a deep position with plenty of solid guys to be had later)
- A Pitcher (CC Sabathia, Haren, Jiminez, Hamels, Kershaw, Verlander, Liriano, Latos, Weaver, Gallardo, and so on. Such a deep position; I think I can wait until my 4th or 5th round pick to choose a high-strikeout stud who can anchor my staff just as well as a pick NOW would do. They're all so close.)
In my mind, Kinsler looks like the top choice here at 27th. Good position, less of a worry than Utley (??), Very good K/BB numbers (pumps his point production up), and still projected as one of the top remaining scorers (Even in the aggregate has him high up, though slightly behind Reyes, some of the OFs, and Utley himself). It looks like him, Utley, or Reyes.