Return to Baseball Leftovers

Best Values 1st Round

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Re: Best Values 1st Round

Postby kab21 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:37 am

rookies and cream wrote:What about Miggy and Holliday/Hamilton/Zim or Miggy and Felix/Timmy?

I agree. There are better choices than trying to force a 2B/SS pick in the 2nd. I personally would not be overly concerned about exiting a draft with 1B/OF covered in the first 2 rds. If you have CI/UT or 2 UT spots then I wouldn't even have a problem going 1B/1B in the first two rds. Just my two cents.
My website - The World Is Not That Big
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 108)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Best Values 1st Round

Postby dAnzac » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:42 am

The title of this thread is still cracking me up :-b
Cafe bets 2010:
W/j24jags - Oakland A's more wins then NYM
W/mweir145 - Oakland A's more wins then TOR (hat-trick?)
dAnzac
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -2)

Postby cs3 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:13 am

rookies and cream wrote:
cs3 wrote:
Grounded Polo wrote:
I still like Miggy at 3, not sure about the consensus.

With the 3rd pick in a 10 teamer, would you prefer to have (Miggy + Pedroia or Reyes) OR (Tulo + Fielder or Tex)?

What about Miggy and Holliday/Hamilton/Zim or Miggy and Felix/Timmy?

I could probably actually take Miggy 3, then Timmy/Felix at 18, and still nab probably nab Holliday at #23.
im just not sure if I want to take any pitching that early. (and this is a league full of Giants fans so im sure timmy will go like 12-16)
Im targeting Holliday at #23 regardless of who I take in the first round tho, and if i miss on him i'll take Youk there.

My main concern is deciding who I take in the 2nd round if i take MCab first.
I can take a pitcher like you suggest but in this league i wouldnt be surprised to see the big 3 all gone by mid 2nd.
So if i dont take a pitcher do I reach on a 3B like zimmerman, take Hamilton or Holliday even tho i think one of them will be there at #23 when i draft in the 3rd Rd, go for middle infield, or take another 1B (teix/fielder)?
It seems like no matter what i'll either be reaching for a player that I could probably get one pick later, or getting good value but drafting redundantly with another 1B.

If i take Tulo my draft is really simple (altho i realize not necessarily better, still up for debate):
3) SS Tulo,
18) 1B(Tex/Fielder/Howard)
23) OF/3B Holliday/Hamilton/Youk/Zimmerman in that order
cs3
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby cs3 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:22 am

kab21 wrote:
rookies and cream wrote:What about Miggy and Holliday/Hamilton/Zim or Miggy and Felix/Timmy?

I agree. There are better choices than trying to force a 2B/SS pick in the 2nd. I personally would not be overly concerned about exiting a draft with 1B/OF covered in the first 2 rds. If you have CI/UT or 2 UT spots then I wouldn't even have a problem going 1B/1B in the first two rds. Just my two cents.

Ya thats what i was referring to in my post above (you mustv'e posted while I was typing). Dont want to reach and leave value on the table.
We dont have a CI spot and we use just one UT, but we start 4OF ... so OF's may be more valuable which would probably make Holliday or Hamilton the better choice.

Seems like Hammy is going well before Holliday, (~18 vs ~28) but all the projections seem to like Holliday better, mostly due to playing time concerns.
Who do you guys have ranked higher?
cs3
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby kab21 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:45 am

cs3 wrote:
kab21 wrote:

Ya thats what i was referring to in my post above (you mustv'e posted while I was typing). Dont want to reach and leave value on the table.
We dont have a CI spot and we use just one UT, but we start 4OF ... so OF's may be more valuable which would probably make Holliday or Hamilton the better choice.

Seems like Hammy is going well before Holliday, (~18 vs ~28) but all the projections seem to like Holliday better, mostly due to playing time concerns.
Who do you guys have ranked higher?

I thought Holliday was going in the early 2nd rd. And tbh I have him ranked above CarGo (upside vs certainty argument) and on par with CC (steals later and 5 category with more power production). Hamilton is in a different tier and not what I'm looking for in the 1st/2nd rds (probably not the 3rd). Too much injury risk that early in the draft.

But I do like Zimmerman in the mid/late 2nd. I wouldn't be surprised if he finishes with similar or better numbers as Longoria.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby cs3 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:04 am

on Yahoo Holliday's ADP is 26 (early 3rd Rd), which seems really late, but maybe other sites hes going a lot sooner?
So I take it you would grab Holliday at #18 over Zimm and the rest of the guys mentioned, if you had the chance?
cs3
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby kab21 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:13 am

cs3 wrote:on Yahoo Holliday's ADP is 26 (early 3rd Rd), which seems really late, but maybe other sites hes going a lot sooner?
So I take it you would grab Holliday at #18 over Zimm and the rest of the guys mentioned, if you had the chance?

He's at 18 in Rookie's MDP report (collected from at least 6 sites) that is posted in the leftovers section here. And tbh I might put him as high as #10 on my personal list.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Grounded Polo » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:27 am

cs3 wrote:With the 3rd pick in a 10 teamer, would you prefer to have (Miggy + Pedroia or Reyes) OR (Tulo + Fielder or Tex)?

As a Mets fan, I am avoiding Reyes like the plague in all drafts, absolutely do not want him unless he falls to mid 4th or later. In a 10 teamer, Tulo is justifiable because there's more room for error and his upside is huge but that's to take him 5th, not 3rd. Miggy is too much of a monster to pass up, he's the only guy in baseball that can match Albert's peak numbers, would not pass that up so yeah, I'd rather have Miggy and Tex/Fielder. In 10 teams, I'll put Tulo in my definite top 5 when he's not in deeper league, doesn't mean I'll take him any higher than 5.

You shouldn't really worry about position scarcity, worry about drafting Mark Reynolds and Jacoby Ellsbury at the 2/3 turn like guys did last year, that is what kills a season.

kab21 wrote:
cs3 wrote:on Yahoo Holliday's ADP is 26 (early 3rd Rd), which seems really late, but maybe other sites hes going a lot sooner?

He's at 18 in Rookie's MDP report (collected from at least 6 sites) that is posted in the leftovers section here. And tbh I might put him as high as #10 on my personal list.

Yep, Holliday put up fantastic numbers last year, has been a first round stud for a couple of seasons now, no real warning signs in his underlying numbers, and his lineup will only get better by adding Berkman and another year of growth for Rasmus, besides Albert still being there. I don't get how he is listed as a 2nd/3rd round pick by Yahoo, someone could take him at 10 and I wouldn't bat an eye over it. He's a perfect second pick if you do take the Tulo or other riskier player first route.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -12)

Postby rotoquest » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:17 pm

Grounded Polo Wrote:
As a Mets fan, I am avoiding Reyes like the plague in all drafts, absolutely do not want him unless he falls to mid 4th or later.

What do you know? I thought he needed a good season this year being a free agent in 2012 for a big contract next year.
rotoquest
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 24)

Postby rookies and cream » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:27 pm

rotoquest wrote:
Grounded Polo Wrote:
As a Mets fan, I am avoiding Reyes like the plague in all drafts, absolutely do not want him unless he falls to mid 4th or later.

What do you know? I thought he needed a good season this year being a free agent in 2012 for a big contract next year.

Personally, I think Reyes is going to have a great season. From everything I hear, he is super motivated and in great shape.
rookies and cream
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -160)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers