Return to General Talk

Blizzaster 2011

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Blizzaster 2011

Postby StlSluggers » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:44 pm

Neato Torpedo wrote:There's no need for the government to salt roads. Save the money towards the deficit and let God weed out the bad drivers!

In his defense, you can manage something like this without the gov't.

My neighborhood is unincorporated, and we contract road maintenance through both private and public entities. So it is something people could manage in groups significantly smaller than govt-sized (which saves me $400/year in taxes).
Image
Want an easy icon?
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=133
All you have to do is beat a few guys at picking Sunday's winners.[/url]
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Posts: 14414
(Past Year: -302)
Joined: 24 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Re: Blizzaster 2011

Postby Neato Torpedo » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:08 pm

StlSluggers wrote:
Neato Torpedo wrote:There's no need for the government to salt roads. Save the money towards the deficit and let God weed out the bad drivers!

In his defense, you can manage something like this without the gov't.

My neighborhood is unincorporated, and we contract road maintenance through both private and public entities. So it is something people could manage in groups significantly smaller than govt-sized (which saves me $400/year in taxes).

But that's collectivist anarchism! And you can't spell "collectivist anarchism" without "collectivist".
Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter
Posts: 8566
(Past Year: -52)
Joined: 4 Mar 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: we don't burn gasoline, we burn our dreams

Re: Blizzaster 2011

Postby StlSluggers » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:27 pm

Neato Torpedo wrote:
StlSluggers wrote:
Neato Torpedo wrote:There's no need for the government to salt roads. Save the money towards the deficit and let God weed out the bad drivers!

In his defense, you can manage something like this without the gov't.

My neighborhood is unincorporated, and we contract road maintenance through both private and public entities. So it is something people could manage in groups significantly smaller than govt-sized (which saves me $400/year in taxes).

But that's collectivist anarchism! And you can't spell "collectivist anarchism" without "collectivist".

Whatever you call it, we like it. We voted 3:1 to avoid annexation last year. :-D ;-D
Image
Want an easy icon?
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=133
All you have to do is beat a few guys at picking Sunday's winners.[/url]
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Posts: 14414
(Past Year: -302)
Joined: 24 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Re: Blizzaster 2011

Postby Neato Torpedo » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:44 pm

You're some of the things that are wrong with America!
Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter
Posts: 8566
(Past Year: -52)
Joined: 4 Mar 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: we don't burn gasoline, we burn our dreams

Re: Blizzaster 2011

Postby Madison » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:11 pm

Tavish wrote:Leave it to Madison to blame the government for not taking care of the people. :-D


Actually, that's pretty inaccurate. :-b

My complaint is against those that are paid to do a job and then do such a poor job (or no job at all). TXDot is responsible for clearing the roadways of ice/snow here. They get paid to do it. They get paid to do it the best way. Yet 4 straight days of sanding is the best they can come up with? And there was no improvement based on what they did? Yes, I find that totally unacceptable.

I don't care what they use as long as it works. Salt is bad? Fine, do it with something else. Just do what you're getting paid to do and get it done. Frankly the entire staff at TXDot should be fired immediately and replaced with a group of people that can melt ice and snow. Gee... I wonder if any of those unemployed people out there can manage a task as difficult as melting ice and snow. ;-7
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 48715
(Past Year: -5140)
Joined: 29 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Taking Souls...

Re: Blizzaster 2011

Postby Grounded Polo » Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:11 pm

Madison wrote:I don't care what they use as long as it works. Salt is bad? Fine, do it with something else. Just do what you're getting paid to do and get it done. Frankly the entire staff at TXDot should be fired immediately and replaced with a group of people that can melt ice and snow. Gee... I wonder if any of those unemployed people out there can manage a task as difficult as melting ice and snow. ;-7



In Houston, the icy highways yesterday caused catastrophe. My office overlooks the major highways here and all were at a standstill all morning, absolutely no movement due to so many accidents. We just watched people trying to use the overpasses and sliding into other cars. People in the suburbs needed 2.5 hours to cover a normal 45 minute drive. I live downtown and had to drive around more than a few spun out cars even after wisely avoiding the highways. By the afternoon, it was basically like driving the day after Ike, amazed at how abandoned the roads were.

Being from Connecticut, I found substituting salt for sand was pretty comical, nowhere near as effective and it's not like salting the roads once a year is bad for the car's paint, the specs of rust common on northeast cars needed much more than that to develop.

Texas drivers in ice/snow are about as bad as drunk drivers, just completely clueless and makes the situation even worse.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 6565
(Past Year: -12)
Joined: 11 Aug 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Blizzaster 2011

Postby Pogotheostrich » Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:31 pm

7 more inches of snow today. :-t
Image
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 20399
(Past Year: -1018)
Joined: 9 Dec 2002
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: St. Louis

Re: Blizzaster 2011

Postby StlSluggers » Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:43 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:7 more inches of snow today. :-t

geez... we got ~4" here

supposed to get more tomorrow night and again on tuesday, i think :-[
Image
Want an easy icon?
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=133
All you have to do is beat a few guys at picking Sunday's winners.[/url]
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Posts: 14414
(Past Year: -302)
Joined: 24 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Re: Blizzaster 2011

Postby GiantsFan14 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:01 pm

70 degrees and not a cloud in the sky here.
Image
25
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

User avatar
EditorCafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 13819
(Past Year: -58)
Joined: 12 Mar 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: BUSTER HATH ARRIVED

Re: Blizzaster 2011

Postby dAnzac » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:25 pm

So in the last week or so we've had (where I live):

The very edge of a category 5 cyclone (only like 30 mins worth, but still crazy)
Torrential rain
(More) Flash floods from the rain
40 C (104 F) and higher days
Today is 15 C ( 59 F)

WTF!
Image
Cafe bets 2010:
W/j24jags - Oakland A's more wins then NYM
W/mweir145 - Oakland A's more wins then TOR (hat-trick?)
dAnzac
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 619
(Past Year: -2)
Joined: 4 Aug 2010
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Do alligators alligate?

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests