Re: Blizzaster 2011

Postby Metroid » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:35 pm

lastingsgriller wrote:
Metroid wrote:
bigken117 wrote:
lol, won't someone think of the trees :-o :-o

lol, oxygen is soooo overrated.

dude.. they have oxygen bars for that stuff now.. trees are so '90's :-b

man I totally forgot. You'll have to forgive me though, I do live in Portland after all. :-D
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod
(Past Year: -24)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby lastingsgriller » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:13 pm

Metroid wrote:
lastingsgriller wrote:
Metroid wrote:
lol, oxygen is soooo overrated.

dude.. they have oxygen bars for that stuff now.. trees are so '90's :-b

man I totally forgot. You'll have to forgive me though, I do live in Portland after all. :-D

:-b
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 81)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Mookie4ever » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:17 pm

Metroid wrote:
Mookie4ever wrote:
Metroid wrote:Salting roads is not only a death sentence to motorized vehicles, it can seriously harm ground drinking water. It can also kill the surrounding vegetation and attract large animals (deer and moose) near the roadways, which leads to other obvious issues. Of course the environmental impact is minimal for short term salt deicing, but just the damage done to vehicles alone would make me say no thanks. I live in a city (Portland) where we have minimal bouts with ice and snow as well. I've found for me it's best just to hunker down, if I can, and wait for it to pass. And I have good chains if I need them.

Salt hurts cars? Not since the 80s.
Chains on the other hand are illegal in Ontario b/c they tear up roads.

There are deicing agents that do not harm cars, but traditional salting most certainly does damage cars. Doesn't matter if it's 1980's salt or 2011 salt. Salt is salt broseph. :-B

Yeah it's true, chains do tear up roads....but only if you wear them on minimal ice. If there is a thick enough ice sheet, the chains should never touch the road surface. I do see why chains would be illegal in places that deal with snow regularly though. People generally do not know when and when not to use them, even if they are used to snow and ice. And people are generally lazy, they will continue to drive with their chains when they should pull over and take them off. Anyway, I was mainly saying have them on hand for an emergency situation. Like I said, if it's just a few days, wait it out.

And yeah Sluggers, sliding off an icy road would probably cause more damage to your car than a couple days of salt. haha. :-b

So how does salt harm cars? Modern cars do not rust in the first 15 years.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -416)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:26 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:
Metroid wrote:
Mookie4ever wrote:

There are deicing agents that do not harm cars, but traditional salting most certainly does damage cars. Doesn't matter if it's 1980's salt or 2011 salt. Salt is salt broseph. :-B

Yeah it's true, chains do tear up roads....but only if you wear them on minimal ice. If there is a thick enough ice sheet, the chains should never touch the road surface. I do see why chains would be illegal in places that deal with snow regularly though. People generally do not know when and when not to use them, even if they are used to snow and ice. And people are generally lazy, they will continue to drive with their chains when they should pull over and take them off. Anyway, I was mainly saying have them on hand for an emergency situation. Like I said, if it's just a few days, wait it out.

And yeah Sluggers, sliding off an icy road would probably cause more damage to your car than a couple days of salt. haha. :-b

have you looked underneath your car lately?
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: -115)

Postby Metroid » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:28 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:
Metroid wrote:
Mookie4ever wrote:

Everyone drives modern cars? :-? :-b

To answer your question though, even with modern cars, it doesn't take much of an opening to bare metal or exposure to wiring to damage a car. A nick or scratch in the paint being exposed to corrosive salt can lead to a growing problem. An unexposed area under the car, damage to a floor panel, inadequate undercoating, are all susceptible to corrosion. Even alloy wheels can be damaged by corrosive salt if left on too long or there is a nick or scratch in the finish. Modern cars are much more resistant, and most likely won't have any issues, but they're not impervious. Corrosion is no joke once it starts.
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod

Postby Mookie4ever » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:46 pm

Unless you're driving a real junker the effect of salt on your car is negligible.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby StlSluggers » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:49 pm

I think the point here is that you're wrong, Met. :-D

Seriously, though... Between the improvements in anti-rust tech in cars, the dramatic increase in safety to drivers, the low cost of salt, and the minimal impact to the environment, it's really a no-brainer that salt should be put down when any moderate degree of ice is expected. Now, if you do live somewhere with ice so thick that chained tires won't damage the road, then I think the discussion about salt is moot. Salt wouldn't do jack squat to a glacier.

:-b
Want an easy icon?
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=133
All you have to do is beat a few guys at picking Sunday's winners.[/url]
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -302)
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby Mookie4ever » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:01 pm

Now chains will wreck your tires and even your car is not installed properly or used too long.

I've never needed anything on any front wheel drive that I've owned. I needed snow tires on a rear wheel POS that I had a few years ago but that's about it.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

Postby Metroid » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:33 pm

I'll be wrong, I don't care. I'm glad they don't salt roads around here. Even if the damage to my car could be "negligible" I'm glad I don't have to find out. I've seen what corrosion and rust can do to a car and how difficult it is to contain and eliminate.

And I don't know why you guys hate trees so much. :,-( :-B

The only time I ever put chains on my front wheel drive car is when traveling over iced passes. Around town, unless you're going up steep hills, front wheel drives should get around just fine. My girls Toyota Tacoma is pretty much useless in the snow, even in 4WD.
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod

Postby Neato Torpedo » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:16 pm

There's no need for the government to salt roads. Save the money towards the deficit and let God weed out the bad drivers!
Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -52)

PreviousNext