Return to General Talk

Blizzaster 2011

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Blizzaster 2011

Postby Madison » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:14 am

jake_twothousandfive wrote:To be honest, it's probably more the drivers than the driving conditions. I'm guessing it's really not that bad.

I have some relatives from Texas (near Houston) who visit every few years. They have absolutely no idea how to drive here in the winter. I'm not going to get into a car with one of them driving in icy conditions.

What's not that bad? :-?

There is no excuse for the roads to still be a sheet of ice 2 days after an ice storm that brought between 1 and 2 inches of ice.

I could care less about the macho crap of who can and who cannot drive on ice, it is irrelevant to me. My complaint is that there shouldn't be any ice on the road to begin with at this point.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -5140)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jake_twothousandfive » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:43 am

Madison wrote:
jake_twothousandfive wrote:To be honest, it's probably more the drivers than the driving conditions. I'm guessing it's really not that bad.

I have some relatives from Texas (near Houston) who visit every few years. They have absolutely no idea how to drive here in the winter. I'm not going to get into a car with one of them driving in icy conditions.

What's not that bad? :-?

There is no excuse for the roads to still be a sheet of ice 2 days after an ice storm that brought between 1 and 2 inches of ice.

I could care less about the macho crap of who can and who cannot drive on ice, it is irrelevant to me. My complaint is that there shouldn't be any ice on the road to begin with at this point.

Wow. I'm sorry I said anything. Good luck.
"Don't take anything for granted, because tomorrow is not promised to any of us." ---Kirby Puckett
jake_twothousandfive
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -63)

Postby Tavish » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:26 am

Leave it to Madison to blame the government for not taking care of the people. :-D
Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -511)

Postby Metroid » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:44 am

Salting roads is not only a death sentence to motorized vehicles, it can seriously harm ground drinking water. It can also kill the surrounding vegetation and attract large animals (deer and moose) near the roadways, which leads to other obvious issues. Of course the environmental impact is minimal for short term salt deicing, but just the damage done to vehicles alone would make me say no thanks. I live in a city (Portland) where we have minimal bouts with ice and snow as well. I've found for me it's best just to hunker down, if I can, and wait for it to pass. And I have good chains if I need them.
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod
(Past Year: -24)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby StlSluggers » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:54 am

I think wrecking my car on an icy road would do way more damage to it than exposure to salt for a couple days.

:-)
Want an easy icon?
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=133
All you have to do is beat a few guys at picking Sunday's winners.[/url]
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -302)
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby Mookie4ever » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:56 am

Metroid wrote:Salting roads is not only a death sentence to motorized vehicles, it can seriously harm ground drinking water. It can also kill the surrounding vegetation and attract large animals (deer and moose) near the roadways, which leads to other obvious issues. Of course the environmental impact is minimal for short term salt deicing, but just the damage done to vehicles alone would make me say no thanks. I live in a city (Portland) where we have minimal bouts with ice and snow as well. I've found for me it's best just to hunker down, if I can, and wait for it to pass. And I have good chains if I need them.

Salt hurts cars? Not since the 80s.
Chains on the other hand are illegal in Ontario b/c they tear up roads.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -416)

Postby Metroid » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:11 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:
Metroid wrote:Salting roads is not only a death sentence to motorized vehicles, it can seriously harm ground drinking water. It can also kill the surrounding vegetation and attract large animals (deer and moose) near the roadways, which leads to other obvious issues. Of course the environmental impact is minimal for short term salt deicing, but just the damage done to vehicles alone would make me say no thanks. I live in a city (Portland) where we have minimal bouts with ice and snow as well. I've found for me it's best just to hunker down, if I can, and wait for it to pass. And I have good chains if I need them.

Salt hurts cars? Not since the 80s.
Chains on the other hand are illegal in Ontario b/c they tear up roads.

There are deicing agents that do not harm cars, but traditional salting most certainly does damage cars. Doesn't matter if it's 1980's salt or 2011 salt. Salt is salt broseph. :-B

Yeah it's true, chains do tear up roads....but only if you wear them on minimal ice. If there is a thick enough ice sheet, the chains should never touch the road surface. I do see why chains would be illegal in places that deal with snow regularly though. People generally do not know when and when not to use them, even if they are used to snow and ice. And people are generally lazy, they will continue to drive with their chains when they should pull over and take them off. Anyway, I was mainly saying have them on hand for an emergency situation. Like I said, if it's just a few days, wait it out.

And yeah Sluggers, sliding off an icy road would probably cause more damage to your car than a couple days of salt. haha. :-b
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod

Postby bigken117 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:15 pm

Metroid wrote:S it can seriously harm ground drinking water. It can also kill the surrounding vegetation

lol, won't someone think of the trees :-o :-o
http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/E/Jacoby-Ellsbury.shtml
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=24
http://twitter.com/#!/baseballcafe
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Fantasy-Baseball-Cafe/117034715055181?sk=wall
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -1076)

Postby Metroid » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:24 pm

bigken117 wrote:
Metroid wrote:S it can seriously harm ground drinking water. It can also kill the surrounding vegetation

lol, oxygen is soooo overrated.
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod

Postby lastingsgriller » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:27 pm

Metroid wrote:
bigken117 wrote:

lol, oxygen is soooo overrated.

dude.. they have oxygen bars for that stuff now.. trees are so '90's :-b
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 81)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk