Return to Baseball Leftovers

The Play-Offs, Pilgrims selling doob, Steroids and Mexico

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: The Play-Off Thoooouuggghhhttss Thread

Postby GiantsFan14 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:01 pm

thejusman1 wrote:
GiantsFan14 wrote:all i'm saying is that using the majority is right argument doesnt really work as the majority tends to be really stupid and wrong a lot of the time.

lol at comparing child porn to drugs. the fact that watching child porn is illegal has nothing to do with the watching part, and everything to do with how children were exploited to make it. everything you listed that we can't do are things that have an effect on the lives and safety of other people, except for drugs that is.

PS- I have never in my life done any kind of drugs (including marijuana), nor do I plan to. I just don't like being told what to do by people a lot dumber than me.


I'm going to have to disagree with you there. Have you heard of the violence in U.S. border towns recently? Places like El Paso, Texas are literally killing grounds with drug cartels and federal/local law officials dying every day (not to mention the innocent civilians getting gunned down). You only have to turn on the local news to witness the effects of drugs on inner-city neighborhoods. And that guy who is coked out and kills a person while driving under the influence? PLEASE don't tell me drug users only harm themselves when that is so patently false.


srsly this is getting silly. all of that is happening BECAUSE the drugs are illegal. the drugs themselves are not causing people to get killed, it's the money being made from the drugs that is causing people to do some pretty awful stuff. there would be no need for drug cartels if the drugs were legal and the violence would cease to exist. i'm pretty sure mexico is working on legalizing drugs just for this reason.

also, lol at using a DUI as an example when i clearly said earlier that DUIs cause other people harm and should be severely punished. are you telling me now that you think alcohol should be illegal because of DUIs? i don't see how you can use that as an argument against drugs and at the same time be ok with alcohol.
Image
25
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

User avatar
EditorCafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 13820
(Past Year: -57)
Joined: 12 Mar 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: BUSTER HATH ARRIVED

Re: The Play-Off Thoooouuggghhhttss Thread

Postby GiantsFan14 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:03 pm

thejusman1 wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:
thejusman1 wrote:I bet you're one of those people who think all drugs should be legalized and that drug enforcement is a waste of time and money. The people who are going to use illegal drugs will get them one way or another anyway, right? Why bother making it illegal? What you fail to understand is that the laws of our society are nothing more than a reflection of our majority values, and the majority disagree with you. They think illegal drugs, whether it be PEDs or crack cocaine, foster a bad culture and should not be tolerated or encouraged.


So, I take it, you voted against legalizing Mary Jane in California, no? ;-7

What you don't seem to realize with this particular statement is that society making things "socially unacceptable" is a copout, at times. Chain smoking, while unhealthy and frowned upon by most people is still tolerated under law whereas recreational use of say, marijuana is outlawed (unless for medicinal purposes, of course). Toking up every now and then is not OK, whereas a chosen path to emphysema, lung cancer, and all that is OK. Which causes the greater harm? Interesting, that.

Alright then, carry on.


Marijuana is a completely different animal. Most anyone who goes to college has smoked weed. CA is fighting the good fight trying to get it reclassified. Also, I don't think anyone can say weed is a performance enhancer, unless that performance calls for watching hours of TV/playing halo/eating munchies.


but the majority of people think weed should be illegal, so why do you think otherwise? are you saying the majority is only correct when they believe what you believe? now that's a shocker!
Image
25
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

User avatar
EditorCafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 13820
(Past Year: -57)
Joined: 12 Mar 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: BUSTER HATH ARRIVED

Re: The Play-Off Thoooouuggghhhttss Thread

Postby Coppernob » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:14 pm

ehmmm, my thoughts on this thread is that the Giants may not have been the best team, but they were the team that played best...
Coppernob
College Coach
College Coach


Posts: 130
(Past Year: 3)
Joined: 26 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: San Francisco

Re: The Play-Off Thoooouuggghhhttss Thread

Postby GiantsFan14 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:18 pm

Coppernob wrote:ehmmm, my thoughts on this thread is that the Giants may not have been the best team, but they were the team that played best...


lol
Image
25
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

User avatar
EditorCafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 13820
(Past Year: -57)
Joined: 12 Mar 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: BUSTER HATH ARRIVED

Re: The Play-Off Thoooouuggghhhttss Thread

Postby Skin Blues » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:33 pm

GiantsFan14 wrote:
Skin Blues wrote:
GiantsFan14 wrote:I have never in my life done any kind of drugs (including marijuana), nor do I plan to. I just don't like being told what to do by people a lot dumber than me.

Have you even taken pain killers? Had a beer? If so, then you've done drugs. If you've done those things, but not "illegal" drugs, then you've essentially been told what to do by people a lot dumber than you, although I should qualify that by saying I'm not positive of your intellect.


i didn't think it was necessary to qualify my statement by saying "illegal drugs", apparently i should have. also, the second part of your statement is completely irrelevant and doesn't respond to any points that i made. i never said i wouldn't allow myself to be told what to do by people dumber than me. in many cases i have no choice unless i want to pay fines or go to prison. still, the fact that i've never done any illegal drugs has nothing to do with me being told i can't, and everything to do with the fact that i've never had any desire to do them.

If you say so.

Oh, and Kanye's mom died getting a boob job. You can google it. The people dying in drug wars over marijuana is due to those that criminalize it, not those that use it. I guess anything can be twisted to suit people anyway they like it, and they don't like to boil it down to the essentials and find out the truth.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 3082
(Past Year: 82)
Joined: 11 Apr 2010
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: The Play-Off Thoooouuggghhhttss Thread

Postby urbanbreez » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:44 pm

Skin Blues wrote:
GiantsFan14 wrote:
Skin Blues wrote:Have you even taken pain killers? Had a beer? If so, then you've done drugs. If you've done those things, but not "illegal" drugs, then you've essentially been told what to do by people a lot dumber than you, although I should qualify that by saying I'm not positive of your intellect.


i didn't think it was necessary to qualify my statement by saying "illegal drugs", apparently i should have. also, the second part of your statement is completely irrelevant and doesn't respond to any points that i made. i never said i wouldn't allow myself to be told what to do by people dumber than me. in many cases i have no choice unless i want to pay fines or go to prison. still, the fact that i've never done any illegal drugs has nothing to do with me being told i can't, and everything to do with the fact that i've never had any desire to do them.

If you say so.

Oh, and Kanye's mom died getting a boob job. You can google it. The people dying in drug wars over marijuana is due to those that criminalize it, not those that use it. I guess anything can be twisted to suit people anyway they like it, and they don't like to boil it down to the essentials and find out the truth.


She was having a hell of a lot more work done than a boob job.

Marijuana is a very small part of what drives these cartels. Weak and corrupt government and police due to huge percentage diff between wealthy and poor in mexico. If Marijuana were legal there be as much criminal activity in mexico as there ever was.
urbanbreez
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 3186
(Past Year: -14)
Joined: 24 Mar 2008
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Los Angeles. U Jelly?

Re: The Play-Off Thoooouuggghhhttss Thread

Postby thejusman1 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:07 pm

GiantsFan14 wrote:srsly this is getting silly. all of that is happening BECAUSE the drugs are illegal. the drugs themselves are not causing people to get killed, it's the money being made from the drugs that is causing people to do some pretty awful stuff. there would be no need for drug cartels if the drugs were legal and the violence would cease to exist. i'm pretty sure mexico is working on legalizing drugs just for this reason.

also, lol at using a DUI as an example when i clearly said earlier that DUIs cause other people harm and should be severely punished. are you telling me now that you think alcohol should be illegal because of DUIs? i don't see how you can use that as an argument against drugs and at the same time be ok with alcohol.


We're not talking about just marijuana here. Mexican drug cartels are trafficking all sorts of illegal drugs. I for one am not comfortable living in some Scandinavian-style country where people can go to cafes and shoot up heroine legally. I don't think hard drugs like that CAN be legal, not only because they cause irreparable harm to a person's health, but legalization could make them more pervasive in society. I'm sure the mere illegality of drugs can be the deciding factor between those who would experiment with them and not. If heroine, cocaine, ecstasy, acid, were all legal... who knows how many more people would try them.

Furthermore, there will always be a black market for drugs. Weed is largely legal in CA (you can buy medicinal marijuana with a simple prescription card) and yet there's still a healthy black market. Nothing you can do will completely eliminate the black market for drugs and the gang affiliation and violence that comes with it.

Alcohol/tobacco are different because of their historical connections. I'm not saying driving under the influence of alcohol is any better than hard drugs, both are wrong. But I'm merely saying that DUIs with hard drugs is one way a drug user can harm another person. Your original statement that a drug user harms no one but himself is entirely false. Please tell that to the family of the overdose victims, the people who lose their lives in DUI collisions, or the innocent people who get killed over gang warfare or are the victims of drug-related crimes.
A blog for political rants, fantasy sports, and thoughts from my twisted mind. Warning: Not for children.
thejusman1
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafeholic
Posts: 2809
(Past Year: -5)
Joined: 27 Apr 2008
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: The Play-Off Thoooouuggghhhttss Thread

Postby GiantsFan14 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:09 pm

Skin Blues wrote:The people dying in drug wars over marijuana is due to those that criminalize it, not those that use it. I guess anything can be twisted to suit people anyway they like it, and they don't like to boil it down to the essentials and find out the truth.


lol are you seriously trying to interpret what i said like that? i said the drugs themselves do not cause people to kill each other, the money stood to be made from the drugs is what does. that right there is me putting the blame on the people selling the drugs, the ones who actually take the actions which cause so many deaths. it is not the authorities fault that those people are basically killing for money, but that doesn't mean that de-criminalizing drugs wouldn't help put an end to the violence. kind of ironic that you say i'm the one twisting things, when it's you that twisted my statement into something completely different than it was.
Image
25
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

User avatar
EditorCafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 13820
(Past Year: -57)
Joined: 12 Mar 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: BUSTER HATH ARRIVED

Re: The Play-Off Thoooouuggghhhttss Thread

Postby thejusman1 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:11 pm

Skin Blues wrote:Oh, and Kanye's mom died getting a boob job. You can google it. The people dying in drug wars over marijuana is due to those that criminalize it, not those that use it. I guess anything can be twisted to suit people anyway they like it, and they don't like to boil it down to the essentials and find out the truth.


It totally lapsed my mind about deaths that could result from surgery complications. But the number of deaths resulting from that probably pales in comparison to drug-related deaths. I will admit that steroids-related deaths are probably much fewer, however. To the original poster - who says the girl in my avatar isn't naturally endowed?
A blog for political rants, fantasy sports, and thoughts from my twisted mind. Warning: Not for children.
thejusman1
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafeholic
Posts: 2809
(Past Year: -5)
Joined: 27 Apr 2008
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: The Play-Off Thoooouuggghhhttss Thread

Postby GiantsFan14 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:33 pm

thejusman1 wrote:We're not talking about just marijuana here. Mexican drug cartels are trafficking all sorts of illegal drugs. I for one am not comfortable living in some Scandinavian-style country where people can go to cafes and shoot up heroine legally. I don't think hard drugs like that CAN be legal, not only because they cause irreparable harm to a person's health, but legalization could make them more pervasive in society. I'm sure the mere illegality of drugs can be the deciding factor between those who would experiment with them and not. If heroine, cocaine, ecstasy, acid, were all legal... who knows how many more people would try them.


I'm not just talking about marijuana either, i say de-criminalize them all. and just because it's legal in private, doesn't mean it has to be legal in public. smoking is banned all over the place but people are still allowed to do it in their own home, and smoking has worse side effects (including second hand smoke), than a lot of drugs do. why aren't you calling out cigarettes for causing irreparable harm to a person's health? also, your statement that the mere illegality of drugs can be the deciding factor can go both ways. how do you know many of the initial users try harder drugs BECAUSE their illegal. i've read that many drugs were recently legalized in portugal and while marijuana use went up, heroine use actually decreased and less people were checking themselves into rehab because less people were trying it.

thejusman1 wrote:Furthermore, there will always be a black market for drugs. Weed is largely legal in CA (you can buy medicinal marijuana with a simple prescription card) and yet there's still a healthy black market. Nothing you can do will completely eliminate the black market for drugs and the gang affiliation and violence that comes with it.


any sort of evidence whatsoever to back this up? weed is still illegal and not everyone can get a card, hence a black market will obviously still exist.

thejusman1 wrote:Alcohol/tobacco are different because of their historical connections. I'm not saying driving under the influence of alcohol is any better than hard drugs, both are wrong. But I'm merely saying that DUIs with hard drugs is one way a drug user can harm another person. Your original statement that a drug user harms no one but himself is entirely false. Please tell that to the family of the overdose victims, the people who lose their lives in DUI collisions, or the innocent people who get killed over gang warfare or are the victims of drug-related crimes.


there is zero difference between a dui caused by alcohol and a dui caused by any other drugs. historical connections have absolutely nothing to do with the affects they have on people in the present day. to argue that all of those things matter when talking about drugs but dont matter when talking about alcohol is just retarded. please tell that to the family of the alcoholics who drink themselves to death, people who lose their lives in DUI collisions or the victims of abuse by alcoholics.
Image
25
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

User avatar
EditorCafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 13820
(Past Year: -57)
Joined: 12 Mar 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: BUSTER HATH ARRIVED

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 26 guests