Return to Baseball Leftovers

The Play-Offs, Pilgrims selling doob, Steroids and Mexico

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: The Play-Off Thoooouuggghhhttss Thread

Postby thejusman1 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:41 pm

Mweir, you are possibly the most ridiculous person I have ever had the displeasure of conversing with here at the Cafe. There is no reason for me to write a rebuttal to your comments, because my original post stands unchallenged by your asinine and woefully inadequate attempt at a response. However, I will try and address some of your more shocking comments.

1. Athletes ARE role models for young kids, and their actions mold their behavior. You repeatedly refuse to see this, or at least don't understand why they should have this responsibility. It comes with the millions of dollars in salary and being in the public spotlight. Parents can only do so much, but if PEDs were embraced and legal in the majors, every young high school athlete would be shooting up in his high school locker room. Much smarter people than you or me recognize this influence as well, and that's the primary reason steroids are so taboo. They set a bad example for the kids. PERIOD. NO ROOM FOR DEBATE.

2. The fact that you think there should be more PEDs, which would thereby reduce the lifespan of professional athletes, and that you actively encourage a culture of drug abuse in American sports, makes me despise you with a passion of a thousand suns. MLB isn't just some mindless form of entertainment with disposable players made for your enjoyment. These are real people, with real lives, and to encourage such unhealthy lifestyles is really just sickening. You NEVER hear any respected sports columnist or media voice advocating for MORE steroids in sports, because they recognize that's a dumb@ss stance, reserved for morons who don't care about the personal safeties of the players.

3. Kids are not GROWN ADULTS. That's why they're KIDS. 16 year-olds really shouldn't have to flip on the TV and watch their favorite baseball player publicly acknowledge what PED he's using and why it's been so helpful to him for his 74-homer season.

I bet you're one of those people who think all drugs should be legalized and that drug enforcement is a waste of time and money. The people who are going to use illegal drugs will get them one way or another anyway, right? Why bother making it illegal? What you fail to understand is that the laws of our society are nothing more than a reflection of our majority values, and the majority disagree with you. They think illegal drugs, whether it be PEDs or crack cocaine, foster a bad culture and should not be tolerated or encouraged. True, we may be fighting a losing battle on some fronts, but it's important to keep our values consistent with our laws. We don't tolerate PEDs, and we don't tolerate the cheaters who use them. Go rent this instead and jerk off to it, and leave the real baseball to us.
A blog for political rants, fantasy sports, and thoughts from my twisted mind. Warning: Not for children.
thejusman1
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafeholic
Posts: 2809
(Past Year: -5)
Joined: 27 Apr 2008
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: The Play-Off Thoooouuggghhhttss Thread

Postby urbanbreez » Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:43 pm

No, I never said I was in favor of children taking these drugs. That's where parents hopefully come in to stop that. What I'm in favor of is grown adults being able to put whatever they want into their bodies if it doesn't directly harm anyone else.


Yes, but that's the only logical conclusion. Validating it a professional level would put enormous pressure on kids AND parents with young MLB hopefuls. I have no doubt that some parents would be PED pushers. Terrible idea, why cause more problems? Cheaters are gonna cheat. That's fine but the trickle down from what you suggest would be harmful to society. This is why we have laws and don't function in an anarchist environment. Of course, not matter how obvious this is you will never admit it because you the boards largest troll.
urbanbreez
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 3186
(Past Year: -14)
Joined: 24 Mar 2008
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Los Angeles. U Jelly?

Re: The Play-Off Thoooouuggghhhttss Thread

Postby wrveres » Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:51 pm

MLB isn't just some mindless form of entertainment with disposable players made for your enjoyment. These are real people, with real lives, and to encourage such unhealthy lifestyles is really just sickening
no that would be football .... of course they aren't role models ... at all ;-7
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
Posts: 31204
(Past Year: -313)
Joined: 2 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: The Play-Off Thoooouuggghhhttss Thread

Postby GiantsFan14 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:59 pm

thejusman1 wrote:I bet you're one of those people who think all drugs should be legalized and that drug enforcement is a waste of time and money. The people who are going to use illegal drugs will get them one way or another anyway, right? Why bother making it illegal? What you fail to understand is that the laws of our society are nothing more than a reflection of our majority values, and the majority disagree with you. They think illegal drugs, whether it be PEDs or crack cocaine, foster a bad culture and should not be tolerated or encouraged. True, we may be fighting a losing battle on some fronts, but it's important to keep our values consistent with our laws. We don't tolerate PEDs, and we don't tolerate the cheaters who use them. Go rent this instead and jerk off to it, and leave the real baseball to us.


i don't care to get involve in the steroid debate, but why should the majority always have the right to persecute the minority? i mean if all you that matters is what the majority thinks is right, then are you ok with how the white majority persecuted blacks throughout history? neither government nor other people should have any say what someone does in the privacy of their own home. as long as what you're doing is not hurting someone else (for example, DUI), then you should have every right to do it. this includes drugs, gay marriage, euthanasia, etc. nobody has to right to tell someone else how they should live their life.
Image
25
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

User avatar
EditorCafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 13820
(Past Year: -57)
Joined: 12 Mar 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: BUSTER HATH ARRIVED

Re: The Play-Off Thoooouuggghhhttss Thread

Postby wrveres » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:03 pm

thejusman1, the most hypocritical part about your whole "what about the children" diatribe, is that fact that you sport around an avatar that symbolizes, fake boobs, tummy tucks, pig fat injected into the face, and a whole list of other shallow things ... its really cracking me up ...

you were doing better when you accused mweir of rape.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
Posts: 31204
(Past Year: -313)
Joined: 2 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: The Play-Off Thoooouuggghhhttss Thread

Postby Coppernob » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:21 pm

mweir145 wrote:
2)effects go far beyond millionaire pros and causes a chain reaction reaching highschool players and probably even younger. You end up with an entire generation of 17 year old kids on growth hormones for no other purpose than to play baseball even though most of them will never get paid for it. There is no way that is helpful to a society or the individual. If you're in favor of that, then he's right, you are a tool.

No, I never said I was in favor of children taking these drugs. That's where parents hopefully come in to stop that. What I'm in favor of is grown adults being able to put whatever they want into their bodies if it doesn't directly harm anyone else.



But this is where your argument falls down. In principal I can't think much wrong in allowing professionals kill themselves if they think they need to do that to bicycle faster, run faster, throw a ball faster but there is not a chance in hell that 95% of kids who "dream" of getting a scholarship, let alone play professional, won't do anything they can to get on the varsity team, get noticed by a scout, etc. Hoping on parents is so delightfully naive.
Coppernob
College Coach
College Coach


Posts: 130
(Past Year: 3)
Joined: 26 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: San Francisco

Re: The Play-Off Thoooouuggghhhttss Thread

Postby thejusman1 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:28 pm

wrveres wrote:thejusman1, the most hypocritical part about your whole "what about the children" diatribe, is that fact that you sport around an avatar that symbolizes, fake boobs, tummy tucks, pig fat injected into the face, and a whole list of other shallow things ... its really cracking me up ...

you were doing better when you accused mweir of rape.


I failed to see the same medical study you did on the connection between plastic surgery and life expectancy. Please enlighten me by providing a link.
A blog for political rants, fantasy sports, and thoughts from my twisted mind. Warning: Not for children.
thejusman1
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafeholic
Posts: 2809
(Past Year: -5)
Joined: 27 Apr 2008
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: The Play-Off Thoooouuggghhhttss Thread

Postby The Artful Dodger » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:44 pm

thejusman1 wrote:I bet you're one of those people who think all drugs should be legalized and that drug enforcement is a waste of time and money. The people who are going to use illegal drugs will get them one way or another anyway, right? Why bother making it illegal? What you fail to understand is that the laws of our society are nothing more than a reflection of our majority values, and the majority disagree with you. They think illegal drugs, whether it be PEDs or crack cocaine, foster a bad culture and should not be tolerated or encouraged.


So, I take it, you voted against legalizing Mary Jane in California, no? ;-7

What you don't seem to realize with this particular statement is that society making things "socially unacceptable" is a copout, at times. Chain smoking, while unhealthy and frowned upon by most people is still tolerated under law whereas recreational use of say, marijuana is outlawed (unless for medicinal purposes, of course). Toking up every now and then is not OK, whereas a chosen path to emphysema, lung cancer, and all that is OK. Which causes the greater harm? Interesting, that.

Alright then, carry on.
Image
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

User avatar
CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 21871
(Past Year: 370)
Joined: 3 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Downloading rice

Re: The Play-Off Thoooouuggghhhttss Thread

Postby thejusman1 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:54 pm

GiantsFan14 wrote:
thejusman1 wrote:I bet you're one of those people who think all drugs should be legalized and that drug enforcement is a waste of time and money. The people who are going to use illegal drugs will get them one way or another anyway, right? Why bother making it illegal? What you fail to understand is that the laws of our society are nothing more than a reflection of our majority values, and the majority disagree with you. They think illegal drugs, whether it be PEDs or crack cocaine, foster a bad culture and should not be tolerated or encouraged. True, we may be fighting a losing battle on some fronts, but it's important to keep our values consistent with our laws. We don't tolerate PEDs, and we don't tolerate the cheaters who use them. Go rent this instead and jerk off to it, and leave the real baseball to us.


i don't care to get involve in the steroid debate, but why should the majority always have the right to persecute the minority? i mean if all you that matters is what the majority thinks is right, then are you ok with how the white majority persecuted blacks throughout history? neither government nor other people should have any say what someone does in the privacy of their own home. as long as what you're doing is not hurting someone else (for example, DUI), then you should have every right to do it. this includes drugs, gay marriage, euthanasia, etc. nobody has to right to tell someone else how they should live their life.


Really? You're going to go there? You're going to link a pro stance on drug enforcement to the persecution of African-Americans? While it's true that you could argue there's a causal relationship between current U.S. Drug Enforcement Law and minority usage of illicit drugs, linking pro drug enforcement and white power is really a stretch. Are you really comparing the constitutional violations of African-American disenfranchisement, discrimination, and segregation to illicit drug use? Really?

I'm a conservative, but even I believe government CAN regulate what you do in the privacy of your own home in certain cases. You are NOT constitutionally entitled to watch child pornography in the comfort of your home, or shoot up drugs for that matter. Society makes laws condemning certain behaviors it deems harmful to society. Illicit drug use is one of them. Does it abridge someone's rights? Maybe. But all personal rights have a limit. You can't yell fire in a crowded theater, you aren't protected from being sued for libel, you can't own certain guns, and you can't do illegal drugs.
A blog for political rants, fantasy sports, and thoughts from my twisted mind. Warning: Not for children.
thejusman1
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafeholic
Posts: 2809
(Past Year: -5)
Joined: 27 Apr 2008
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: The Play-Off Thoooouuggghhhttss Thread

Postby GiantsFan14 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:56 pm

thejusman1 wrote:
wrveres wrote:thejusman1, the most hypocritical part about your whole "what about the children" diatribe, is that fact that you sport around an avatar that symbolizes, fake boobs, tummy tucks, pig fat injected into the face, and a whole list of other shallow things ... its really cracking me up ...

you were doing better when you accused mweir of rape.


I failed to see the same medical study you did on the connection between plastic surgery and life expectancy. Please enlighten me by providing a link.


pretty sure people die during plastic surgery (as is the risk with any surgery) which therefore lowers life expectancy. also there's the possibility of anorexia and bulimia in girls who put themselves under the pressure to look as good as models, actresses, etc.
Image
25
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

User avatar
EditorCafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 13820
(Past Year: -57)
Joined: 12 Mar 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: BUSTER HATH ARRIVED

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

cron