Return to General Talk

Artful's Soccer Thread

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Artful's Soccer Thread

Postby The Artful Dodger » Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:24 pm

lastingsgriller wrote:While Falcao is the bomb and all, this must be a pretty scary situation for Man U and their fans. for one, Monaco just paid a fortune for him a year ago and is already moving him. in the meantime, he tore up his knee. He may not yet be ready to go. That would be really sucky if they got anything less than elite production from him.

Falcao has been fully fit since July. He featured in preseason and scored twice in the first two games for Monaco this season. Judging from the preseason game vs. Arsenal, he looked quite good.

As for Monaco, they're hit by that massive divorce settlement from their moneybags owner. They paid crazy fees and wages for the likes of Falcao, James Rodriguez, and others. They sold James to Real Madrid and they probably preferred selling Falcao in this window, but I believe FFP restrictions inhibit that quick sale.

lastingsgriller wrote:secondly, they just gave a striker to the team who will probably be battling them for that 4th spot on the table. In addition to that, that team they gave a striker to just had their only legit striker break his leg. Man U could have done nothing at all and left Arsenal with Sanchez alone up top (or with the horribly uncoordinated Sonogo) for the next 4 months.

Welbeck really wanted to go and I would venture to say, he wanted out since Moyes' tenure. United preferred to loan him out to Spurs or Everton but he wanted guaranteed first-team football for now and in the long run for a top team. He wasn't going to start over Rooney or van Persie, let alone in his preferred position as a striker. (I'd argue that Danny deserved a chance over either of those two.)

It's a shame that Welbeck had to go. He's a local lad, he works hard off the ball and when pressing the opposition, he's comfortable on the ball, and he offers pace. Like I said before, I have doubts on whether he can become a clinical finisher.

The silver lining about Welbeck's departure is that James Wilson has been promoted as the fourth-choice forward. Wilson has some of the positive attributes as Welbeck but is also a natural goal poacher. A good comparison is Robert Lewandowski of Bayern, IMO.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 370)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to General Talk