Return to General Talk

Artful's Soccer Thread

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Artful's Soccer Thread

Postby lastingsgriller » Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:13 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:Gif-worthy David De Gea save in stoppage time to deny Juan Mata's superb free kick:

It was nice to see Piers Morgan eat crow after the game since calling De Gea the worst goalkeeper in the Premiership. Morgan is an inbred moron and the worst British import in the States ever, but still, some of the scrutiny De Gea receives is too much.

ohh.... i'd be piiiised if I was Mata. that fk was money!
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 81)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:45 pm

I'd venture to say Mata would be more pissed about Chelsea letting a 3-goal lead slip through their fingers.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 370)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:33 pm

I didn't have a chance to see much of the Liverpool-Spurs game today, but by all accounts, it was a dull affair. It ended nil-nil.

The only interesting thing was Luis Suarez's comeback after serving an 8-game ban after racially abusing Patrice Evra. Four minutes or so into this game, Suarez does yet another fanny-ish thing to do;

No sending off for the most despicable man in football today.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby The Artful Dodger » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:35 pm

More importantly, today... 54 years on, never forgotten. RIP The Busby Babes who never grew old.

The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

Postby Mookie4ever » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:33 pm

England strips Terry of Captaincy.
Fabio Capello rips England decision.
Capello quits! Just before the European Cup.

lol
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -416)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:52 pm

The irony is Terry could have just stepped down from his captain's post and that wouldn't have caused Capello to resign.

I've always maintained that John Terry is nothing short of a scumbag and should have been permanently stripped of the captaincy long ago. He's an embarrassment to wear the shirt, let alone to wear the captain's armband. More sickening is the fact the English media portray him as England's lion, a model character.

As for Capello, he's a world class manager but I don't think he's a great fit for international football and particularly for England. His suspect team selections and bizarre loyalty to playing the old guard (and the likes of the utterly useless Gareth Barry) ahead of the new blood have been mind-boggling. Then again, England just don't have enough quality players who are both in their prime and can sustain that form within the next 5 years. There's little in between from the old guard and the talented new crop coming into the fold.

The timing for Capello's resignation with the Euros looming doesn't seem great, but it might be a blessing in disguise... if England get the right boss to fill in (knowing the FA, they'll make a mess of it). Personally, I think it'll be great if England hire Guus Hiddink, hilarious if they get Rafa Benitez instead, and dire if Stuart Pearce is England boss. The likely scenario is Harry Redknapp leaving Spurs for England.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:18 pm

How I'm feeling after Saturday's Man United-Liverpool match, portrayed by Paddy Evra doing a Gary Neville-esque cathartic celebration:

In truth, I wish United just battered the scum after 2-nil and that scumbag Suarez just had to score, but oh well, a win over the bin dippers is absolutely worth relishing.

Whatever tiny shred of respect I have for Liverpool Football Club has gone down the toilet. An absolute PR disaster from the brass to Kenny Dalglish and of course, Suarez.

Anyhow, Aston Villa might be the pointless team in the Premier League. They couldn't get a result against a Man City side stuck in neutral and only seriously looked like giving a damn about the game in the last 10 minutes. Stupid, stupid Villa.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:22 pm

Better get those celebrity death predictions in before Aaron Ramsey scores again:

The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

Postby Mookie4ever » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:03 pm

There is just so many unsportsmanlike stories in FA. :-P
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -416)

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:19 am

:~( :,-( :-/ !+) :-P :-C :-[ :-t %-6 X-I :-X :-{

2011 Live Free or DyNasty Champ
A Fleshner Fantasy
Wicked Wikitect
Wicked Wikitect

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -101)
Home Cafe: Football