Return to General Talk

Artful's Soccer Thread

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Artful's Soccer Thread

Postby The Artful Dodger » Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:22 am

Excellent game from Spurs-Chelsea. On account of the opening 15-20 minutes or so, Spurs were well on top but like against Man City, Chelsea only fell behind a goal and imposed themselves especially in the second half. Frantic finish as Spurs and Chelsea could have got the game winner. 1-1 draw is a great result for Man United and I suppose for City too.

I'm away for the holidays abroad in Europe for a couple of weeks, somehow getting tickets to a couple of early January games along the way (Newcastle v Man United, Espanyol v Barcelona). Cheerio.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 370)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:27 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:I'm away for the holidays abroad in Europe for a couple of weeks, somehow getting tickets to a couple of early January games along the way (Newcastle v Man United, Espanyol v Barcelona). Cheerio.

Truth be told, that wasn't a great holiday break. United were thoroughly outplayed at Newcastle and Barca were held at Espanyol. !+)

I've been too busy to pass comment on football, but seeing how today was North London vs. Manchester rematch day...

I'd say Arsene Wenger did the sensible thing in the Rafa Benitez sense of the term, by taking out his most effective player Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain for a player who has been utter gash for the last 2+ seasons including this one, Andrei Arshavin. Oxlade was by far Arsenal's best performing player and the Arsenal attack lost steam with his exit. That said, Man United were the better team for the day, on account of a dominant first half. Fluffed too many opportunities in the final third for my liking and Danny Welbeck would've made it 3-1 if he had simply taken a shot on with the 1v1.

Oh, and Arsenal fans, and Robin Van Persie's reaction to the Oxlade for Arshavin substitution, that was disgraceful.

Man City were lucky today to beat Spurs. Lucky that Mario Balotelli wasn't sent off for that ridiculous stamp on Scott Parker. Lucky that Joleon Lescott wasn't sent off for a clearer intentional elbow in the air. Lucky that Benoit Assou-Ekotto did the thoughtless thing of punting the ball up the pitch from a throw-in when it was best to retain it. Lucky that Assou-Ekotto's giveaway led to "No Knees" Ledley King failing to cope with an over the top ball and Balotelli getting in behind him to give away a clear penalty in stoppage time.

Ah well, at least United are just three behind City, City look vulnerable (especially with no Kompany in defense), and of course United knocked them out of the FA Cup.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:53 pm

WaCougMBS wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:Man City were lucky today to beat Spurs. Lucky that Mario Balotelli wasn't sent off for that ridiculous stamp on Scott Parker. Lucky that Joleon Lescott wasn't sent off for a clearer intentional elbow in the air. Lucky that Benoit Assou-Ekotto did the thoughtless thing of punting the ball up the pitch from a throw-in when it was best to retain it. Lucky that Assou-Ekotto's giveaway led to "No Knees" Ledley King failing to cope with an over the top ball and Balotelli getting in behind him to give away a clear penalty in stoppage time.

Boo City! Boo! That is all.

Seems like everything keeps breaking their way this year. Too bad Spurs couldn't turn the table after leveling things - I fear my Spurs' title shots are, well, just that :~(

Not everything, to be fair. The Kompany red card from a challenge on Nani vs. United in the FA Cup was one of those borderline challenges, but the ref interpreted the challenge as one of malicious intent (both feet up). They lost the Carling Cup first semifinal leg to Liverpool and Glen Johnson clearly should have been sent off for a similar challenge which was much clearer in both intent and contact.

City haven't been too convincing for the last month or two. With Yaya Toure at the African Cup of Nations and during that time David Silva was out injured, City looked ordinary in particular.

As for Spurs, their title challenge after today is pretty much over IMO. I don't think they have the squad depth to challenge, but they had that terrific run in which they drew level with United on points. Typical Spurs to disappoint in the end. Oh, and City were lucky that Gareth Bale overhit that cross leading Jermain Defoe to sidefoot a point-blank chance.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:59 pm

You know what cheers me up when I'm feeling down?

Andy Carroll not being good at football. That and the fact some club paid a 35 million pound transfer fee for him. :-]

That said, Carroll is going to play a blinder vs. United on Saturday.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

Postby The Artful Dodger » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:51 pm

One of the more bizarre things you'll see at a match:

http://youtu.be/xW1REVzzHYE

Some guy handcuffed himself to a goalpost in Everton's home match against Manchester City.

More bizarre sight than that? Darron Gibson pleasing United fans with Everton's match-winning goal against City.

More bizarre than that? Andy Carroll actually did something right today; scored a goal in Liverpool's win over Wolves.

Anyway, great to see Man United once again level on points with City again. Decent panacea from Saturday's FA Cup defeat against the game-raising racist rubbish.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:32 pm

Hope you lot caught the 3-3 Chelsea-Man United draw today; it was televised on FOX. I'm both thrilled and disappointed with the result.

Coming back from 3-nil down takes character, something of which I questioned after the debacles against City and Newcastle. Still, I felt United shouldn't have been 3-nil down, as all three goals from Chelsea were avoidable. Some slack marking and ball watching from Evra. United were the better team over the two halves, but lacked the final ball, fluffed chances by not shooting the ball on target, and resorted to some fancy link-ups.

That said, United don't generally do well at Stamford Bridge and to get a point would be a huge psychological boost for the lads in the title race, even if it is two points dropped.

Oh, and the Chelsea fans are a classy lot for booing Rio Ferdinand just because his brother was racially abused by one of Chelsea's own players, one certain John Terry.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

Postby lastingsgriller » Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:41 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:Hope you lot caught the 3-3 Chelsea-Man United draw today; it was televised on FOX. I'm both thrilled and disappointed with the result.

Coming back from 3-nil down takes character, something of which I questioned after the debacles against City and Newcastle. Still, I felt United shouldn't have been 3-nil down, as all three goals from Chelsea were avoidable. Some slack marking and ball watching from Evra. United were the better team over the two halves, but lacked the final ball, fluffed chances by not shooting the ball on target, and resorted to some fancy link-ups.

That said, United don't generally do well at Stamford Bridge and to get a point would be a huge psychological boost for the lads in the title race, even if it is two points dropped.

Oh, and the Chelsea fans are a classy lot for booing Rio Ferdinand just because his brother was racially abused by one of Chelsea's own players, one certain John Terry.

ha.. I recorded this game, but haven't watched it yet. why did I even come here? I didn't have my thinking cap on..

I did, however, watch Newcastle-Villa today. really good, exciting 2-1 win for Newcastle. New acquisition Demba Cisse looks to provide a solid spark scoring a fantastic goal to put Newcastle up late in the game. the Demba-Demba combination up to looks to be quite formidable.
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 81)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:00 pm

lastingsgriller wrote:I did, however, watch Newcastle-Villa today. really good, exciting 2-1 win for Newcastle. New acquisition Demba Cisse looks to provide a solid spark scoring a fantastic goal to put Newcastle up late in the game. the Demba-Demba combination up to looks to be quite formidable.

Didn't see Newcastle-Villa, but I saw the abbreviated highlights. Ba finally has a more suitable link-up partner up front in Cisse and not to mention, Cisse adds depth at striker for Newcastle.

The Toon have been playing very good football. Part of me remains skeptical that they'll finish fourth or fifth, but they've definitely been more impressive than Liverpool. Blackburn rout aside, Arsenal could keep dropping points and Chelsea have been distinctly average (though I'd say they would nick the fourth spot).
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:07 pm

Gif-worthy David De Gea save in stoppage time to deny Juan Mata's superb free kick:

It was nice to see Piers Morgan eat crow after the game since calling De Gea the worst goalkeeper in the Premiership. Morgan is an inbred moron and the worst British import in the States ever, but still, some of the scrutiny De Gea receives is too much.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk