Page 2 of 3

Re: Unethical? Owner revealing other owner's trade offer...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:49 pm
by JMB05
What part is unethical?

Maximizing the trade value of a player?

He sounds like a smart manager.

Re: Unethical? Owner revealing other owner's trade offer...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:07 pm
by Thursday
JMB05 wrote:What part is unethical?

Maximizing the trade value of a player?

He sounds like a smart manager.


101% agreed. Excellent manager. Sometimes I wish I was told that there was another offer in on a guy, so I could come back with someone else. It's called competition, and it's the name of the game we're all in.

Re: Unethical? Owner revealing other owner's trade offer...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:15 pm
by vykeengfan
Thanks for the feedback, all.
I was just thinking about the other owner, and I wasn't sure how I would feel if my trade offer was revealed to others. I also didn't want to do anything that might be construed as collusion.

Re: Unethical? Owner revealing other owner's trade offer...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:10 pm
by Thursday
vykeengfan wrote:Thanks for the feedback, all.
I was just thinking about the other owner, and I wasn't sure how I would feel if my trade offer was revealed to others. I also didn't want to do anything that might be construed as collusion.


Also could be a strategy; he might be bluffing to get you to up the offer. Never know. There's more than one way to play the game.

Re: Unethical? Owner revealing other owner's trade offer...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:37 pm
by BitterDodgerFan
that's true... how do you know that you're not being lied to? :-?

Re: Unethical? Owner revealing other owner's trade offer...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:50 pm
by vykeengfan
BitterDodgerFan wrote:that's true... how do you know that you're not being lied to? :-?

i was playing poker w/ the commish last night and he tells me "i'm working on a huge trade. not gonna tell you what though..."
i felt like telling him i already knew but i didn't say anything haha

Re: Unethical? Owner revealing other owner's trade offer...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:11 pm
by thedude
vykeengfan wrote:I was just thinking about the other owner, and I wasn't sure how I would feel if my trade offer was revealed to others.


It probably was revealed to the other guy...

Re: Unethical? Owner revealing other owner's trade offer...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:18 pm
by vykeengfan
thedude wrote:
vykeengfan wrote:I was just thinking about the other owner, and I wasn't sure how I would feel if my trade offer was revealed to others.


It probably was revealed to the other guy...


you could be right...

Re: Unethical? Owner revealing other owner's trade offer...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:01 am
by StlSluggers
I do this as a matter of general practice. I'm not usually so blunt about it, but I think it's a requirement that you shop deals like this. If you don't, you're doing yourself - and the entire league - a disservice by potentially entering into a deal where you aren't getting maximum value for both parties.

Along these same lines, I once posted a suggestion in a collusion thread recommending that leagues with a collusive/ignorance problem should allow a 24-48 hour, counteroffer window. The general idea works like this: Two teams would post their deal, and the rest of the league has 1-2 days to publicly post a counteroffer. This method would make collusion blatantly obvious, while also helping to protect naive owners from their own ignorance.

I've often thought that the "perfect world" scenario would have all trade negotiations happening in public. Of course, that's not possible. There will always be side conversations, and you can't prevent that. But pertinent to the OP's question, I believe any action that brings negotiations into a quasi-public state will only help and will never hurt.

Re: Unethical? Owner revealing other owner's trade offer...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:11 pm
by Wright2Reyes
StlSluggers wrote:I do this as a matter of general practice. I'm not usually so blunt about it, but I think it's a requirement that you shop deals like this. If you don't, you're doing yourself - and the entire league - a disservice by potentially entering into a deal where you aren't getting maximum value for both parties.

Along these same lines, I once posted a suggestion in a collusion thread recommending that leagues with a collusive/ignorance problem should allow a 24-48 hour, counteroffer window. The general idea works like this: Two teams would post their deal, and the rest of the league has 1-2 days to publicly post a counteroffer. This method would make collusion blatantly obvious, while also helping to protect naive owners from their own ignorance.

I've often thought that the "perfect world" scenario would have all trade negotiations happening in public. Of course, that's not possible. There will always be side conversations, and you can't prevent that. But pertinent to the OP's question, I believe any action that brings negotiations into a quasi-public state will only help and will never hurt.


I actually wonder how a league would work if every trade offer you make goes to every league member in your league. It would be interesting to see how the league would unfold, knowing that every offer you make is public, I guess the idea of buying low would pretty much disappear :-o .