Postby fantasyPHD » Tue May 18, 2010 8:06 pm

Any more people interested?
fantasyPHD
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Fantasy Baseball Survey

Postby Neato Torpedo » Tue May 18, 2010 9:07 pm

" Please rate the amount of skill you believe is needed to win your fantasy baseball league(s)."

Might want to consider splitting that one into head-to-head and roto leagues. That's why TheRock believes fantasy football is "for morons"; the weekly 1 vs. 1 matchups and the short 17 game schedule make it really prone to variation, and as such, it's more likely to fall victim to luck. In baseball, you can lose a week with a .370 AVG or win one with a .220 AVG, depending on who you have the fortune to face. Plus, you could have a .900 winning percentage during the regular season, but in the H2H playoffs, your team can suck one week and you lose everything. Roto leagues are played more like a free-for-all where the sample size is six months instead of one week, so success is more dependent on skill.
Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -52)

Postby fantasyPHD » Tue May 18, 2010 9:25 pm

Neato Torpedo wrote:" Please rate the amount of skill you believe is needed to win your fantasy baseball league(s)."

Might want to consider splitting that one into head-to-head and roto leagues. That's why TheRock believes fantasy football is "for morons"; the weekly 1 vs. 1 matchups and the short 17 game schedule make it really prone to variation, and as such, it's more likely to fall victim to luck. In baseball, you can lose a week with a .370 AVG or win one with a .220 AVG, depending on who you have the fortune to face. Plus, you could have a .900 winning percentage during the regular season, but in the H2H playoffs, your team can suck one week and you lose everything. Roto leagues are played more like a free-for-all where the sample size is six months instead of one week, so success is more dependent on skill.

Very good suggestion. I am in two H2H leagues and one Roto league, and I only pay attention to the Roto league for solely that reason. I feel like it isn't dictated by luck (as much).

Unfortunately, for the academics that will eventually review and evaluate my research for publication, the difference between these two types of leagues is WAY beyond their comprehension of fantasy sport. With that said, I hope to get this advanced at somepoint. Any other suggestions?
fantasyPHD
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Neato Torpedo » Tue May 18, 2010 10:13 pm

That's true; besides, this survey does seem more geared toward our relationship to the game and less to the game itself. Maybe for another time.
Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -52)

Postby GiantsFan14 » Tue May 18, 2010 10:40 pm

done.
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -58)

Postby jfg » Wed May 19, 2010 12:25 am

Finished it. I can say that two years ago my answers would have been much different.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: -127)

Postby AussieDodger » Wed May 19, 2010 12:40 am

You can't win if you didn't answer "Oakland Athletics". Better luck next time. ;-7
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -37)

Postby ayebatter » Wed May 19, 2010 1:56 am

Snakes Gould wrote:done and agreed that fantasy football is for buffoons.

Agreed ;-) hell I had two teams and came in 1st(h2hsb west) and second (fluffy bunny brigade), and I don't know squat about football, it had to be that h2h luck.

survey complete/
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 749)

Postby fantasyPHD » Wed May 19, 2010 10:06 am

Thanks guys. I have gotten some great responses.

Why do you think Fantasy Football is more popular (19 million participants) than Fantasy Baseball (9 million)? Do you think as FF players realize it is just luck they will switch to fantasy baseball? Would you ever stop playing fantasy football all-together?
fantasyPHD
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk