Return to General Talk

FCC Allows MPAA to Distribute NEW Movies Directly to Homes

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: FCC Allows MPAA to Distribute NEW Movies Directly to Homes

Postby jfg » Tue May 11, 2010 12:40 am

bleach168 wrote:
For the second quarter of 2009, Comcast had a profit margin for its cable Internet service of about 70 percent. Monopolies = bad. If they felt like reinvesting that money in infrastructure, I'm sure they could lift the usage cap.

It's not a monopoly. There are plenty of ways to get internet to people's homes and anybody can lay fiber cable down so don't blame it on a monopoly. You can say it's a problem with Capitalism I guess. ISP's make loads of cash, and barely anybody is making much fuss about bandwidth caps and limited infrastructure so they have no reason to invest... the competition pushes progress in the right direction but right now nobodies trying to compete and that's because it's freakin' expensive. Let's say you were Brian Roberts, CEO of Comcast. The competition isn't doing anything to make your life harder, and your company is thriving in an economy that stinks to high heaven. Even if the economy wasn't bad, would you put your profits into a project that will cost billions, probably won't gain you that many more customers and definitely not added revenue from current customers since prices wouldn't be able to be significantly raised, and no real reason to do it since you're still miles ahead of the competition? Would you?

Either way, I'm so sick and tired of the monopoly argument. Just because they are the only ones running a cable into your house doesn't mean they're the only ones who can.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: -127)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Tue May 11, 2010 1:18 am

bleach168 wrote:The long term answer lies with fiber. Switching to fiber would solve all the bandwidth problems on the consumer's side at least. But it isn't cheap. Verizon spent like $800 on each household.

Glad I'm on AT&T U-Verse then (fiber). ;-D

Good talk about the "pipes getting full" (so-to-speak), thanks guys. ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -5140)

Postby AussieDodger » Tue May 11, 2010 2:33 am

This probably won't affect how much I go to the movies either, which is pretty much never.
I think in the last 5 years I've seen Quantum Of Solace and Bruno, and that's it.
I like people around me to STFU while I'm watching a movie, so I find movie theatres quite aggravating. As opposed to a sporting event, where the more noise/atmosphere the better. :-B I'm one of those people (and I'm sure a lot of you guys are) where the hassle and cost of going to the movies makes me quite comfortable to wait the 6 months for the dvd to come out.

Awww, by the time that gets here we might be elsewhere :-C
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -37)

Postby Neato Torpedo » Tue May 11, 2010 4:11 am

jfg wrote:
bleach168 wrote:
For the second quarter of 2009, Comcast had a profit margin for its cable Internet service of about 70 percent. Monopolies = bad. If they felt like reinvesting that money in infrastructure, I'm sure they could lift the usage cap.

It's not a monopoly. There are plenty of ways to get internet to people's homes and anybody can lay fiber cable down so don't blame it on a monopoly. You can say it's a problem with Capitalism I guess. ISP's make loads of cash, and barely anybody is making much fuss about bandwidth caps and limited infrastructure so they have no reason to invest... the competition pushes progress in the right direction but right now nobodies trying to compete and that's because it's freakin' expensive. Let's say you were Brian Roberts, CEO of Comcast. The competition isn't doing anything to make your life harder, and your company is thriving in an economy that stinks to high heaven. Even if the economy wasn't bad, would you put your profits into a project that will cost billions, probably won't gain you that many more customers and definitely not added revenue from current customers since prices wouldn't be able to be significantly raised, and no real reason to do it since you're still miles ahead of the competition? Would you?

Either way, I'm so sick and tired of the monopoly argument. Just because they are the only ones running a cable into your house doesn't mean they're the only ones who can.

Wha-huh? :-S
Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -52)

Postby bleach168 » Tue May 11, 2010 6:14 am

jfg wrote:
bleach168 wrote:

If I had billions of dollars, I wouldn't ruin their monopoly. I would buy up comcast stock and enjoy the dividends.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: -11)

Previous

Return to General Talk