Return to General Talk

Renting an Apartment

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Renting an Apartment

Postby jake_twothousandfive » Wed May 05, 2010 11:56 pm

Thanks to anyone who takes the time to read this and offer advice.

I've never rented an apartment just for myself before. And I've been searching for one in a city with several employment opportunities for the past two weeks. Earlier today I found an apartment complex that I fell in love with. Fitness rooms, private movie theaters, dishwasher, great location, utilities included, etc. Compared to the other apartments I've seen, it looked great to me.

The problem comes in that I don't have any guaranteed employment. But I've never had a hard time finding a job before. Based on my qualifications and the past two interviews I've had, I think I will be able to land one quickly.

Somehow the manager who was showing me around got it into his head that I was starting a new job shortly ( O:-) ). This became a problem when I was filling out the application (should have seen that coming). He told me that I would need to provide some sort of verification for employment - which of course I can't at this point. Seeing a great apartment slip through my fingers I told him I'd be willing to pay it all in advance (10 month lease about $6000). His eyes pretty might lit up at that point. Not a good sign, but at the time I assumed it was because not many people are able to do this and it would take the worry out of the equation for both of us.

Now I'm not so sure that was a wise choice. I see two potential problems: (1) I lose out on any interest I could have earned on that money in the interim and (2) I'll have no leverage in any future negotiations over any problems which may develop.

What should I do? I have enough money so that I would be able to provide the money upfront and live off of savings for about a year without a job. I don't see how it getting that bad though and my parents could/would provide assistance if I ever got into any serious financial problems.

Should I let it go, secure employment, and find a different place in the future?
"Don't take anything for granted, because tomorrow is not promised to any of us." ---Kirby Puckett
jake_twothousandfive
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -63)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Renting an Apartment

Postby jfg » Thu May 06, 2010 12:33 am

What city is it in Jake? $600 dollars a month for a one bedroom apt. is a pretty dang good deal if it's right in Minneapolis. Private movie theaters? That's a perk I've never come across. Maybe I'm just assuming you're actually in the Twin Cities from your sig, but if you are I wouldn't pass that up at $600.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: -127)

Postby jake_twothousandfive » Thu May 06, 2010 12:43 am

jfg wrote:What city is it in Jake? $600 dollars a month for a one bedroom apt. is a pretty dang good deal if it's right in Minneapolis. Private movie theaters? That's a perk I've never come across. Maybe I'm just assuming you're actually in the Twin Cities from your sig, but if you are I wouldn't pass that up at $600.

Sioux Falls, South Dakota. I'm from Minnesota originally but I went to school in South Dakota. I'd like to move to a different state in the future, but there are more employment opportunities in my field here. For someone with relatively little professional experience, I think I'd benefit from staying here for a few years.

I assume rents in South Dakota are cheaper than just about anywhere else in the country. Also, it's a studio apartment (one big room) single room apartments (of which one or two are available) have a living room and bedroom separately. The single room apartments are about $100 more. But I've already confirmed that I'll have enough room for my things in a studio apartment and I really like the layout of it.

Here's a video tour of it: https://samuelsondevelopment.prospectpo ... %5D/15521/

The theater room (they have two) looked pretty nice you just reserve the room in advance. They also have several exercise rooms and an indoor and outdoor pool. I was really impressed with it overall.
Last edited by jake_twothousandfive on Thu May 06, 2010 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Don't take anything for granted, because tomorrow is not promised to any of us." ---Kirby Puckett
jake_twothousandfive
General Manager
General Manager

Postby ayebatter » Thu May 06, 2010 12:44 am

1- would you move to this city and live there, in this apartment, for 10 months without employment ? if yes, then commit to the lease offering to pay 50% now and 50% after 5 months, thus leaving you some to collect a bit of interest on.
2 - when he wants proof of employment just tell him you haven't made your decision which position you're going to accept, hopefully your commitment of 5 months rent upfront will smooth the way.

Luck ;-D
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 763)

Postby ayebatter » Thu May 06, 2010 12:48 am

https://samuelsondevelopment.prospectpo ... %5D/15521/

Looks like a nice place.
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 763)

Postby jake_twothousandfive » Thu May 06, 2010 12:57 am

ayebatter wrote:1- would you move to this city and live there, in this apartment, for 10 months without employment ? if yes, then commit to the lease offering to pay 50% now and 50% after 5 months, thus leaving you some to collect a bit of interest on.

Yeah, I know enough people in the city so that I could enjoy myself even with little money. I'd certainly like to live there. Maybe I'm getting hung up on the interest. In all likelihood any possible interest wouldn't amount to much over $100.
ayebatter wrote:2 - when he wants proof of employment just tell him you haven't made your decision which position you're going to accept, hopefully your commitment of 5 months rent upfront will smooth the way.

I could see this working. I'm pretty sure I made a good impression on him.
jake_twothousandfive
General Manager
General Manager

Postby jake_twothousandfive » Thu May 06, 2010 1:09 am

Yeah here's one of the theater rooms. You just bring your own movies. I could see myself bringing people over from time to time for this.

jake_twothousandfive
General Manager
General Manager

Postby AussieDodger » Thu May 06, 2010 1:20 am

No offense, but I couldn't imagine living in a little box like that.

If it suits you, it looks new and has a balcony so yeah go for it. ;-D
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -37)

Postby jake_twothousandfive » Thu May 06, 2010 1:25 am

AussieDodger wrote:No offense, but I couldn't imagine living in a little box like that.

If it suits you, it looks new and has a balcony so yeah go for it. ;-D

It is small. But if things are working well for me after 10 months I could always upgrade. I saw this as a good place for me to start.
jake_twothousandfive
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Madison » Thu May 06, 2010 2:32 am

jake_twothousandfive wrote:I assume rents in South Dakota are cheaper than just about anywhere else in the country. Also, it's a studio apartment (one big room) single room apartments (of which one or two are available) have a living room and bedroom separately. The single room apartments are about $100 more. But I've already confirmed that I'll have enough room for my things in a studio apartment and I really like the layout of it.

You can get studio apartments for under $400 here in Texas. For $600, you can get a townhome (I paid $539 for a 1,200 square foot one for a year and a half). So rent in South Dakota isn't the cheapest. :-D

With that said, the place looks nice. Small, but nice. ;-D

As to what to do, I'd go with 6 months paid upfront. Not sure how leases are there, but here they are either 6 or 12 months. You'll know if you like the place or not after spending 6 months there, but won't be locked into staying for a full year if the box drives you insane. ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -5140)

Next

Return to General Talk