Return to General Talk

How much home can you get for $300K?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: How much home can you get for $300K?

Postby Grounded Polo » Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:36 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:Not much. Maybe 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms?

I thought the subject said $500K. Scratch that. You can maybe get a 800 sq. ft. condo for $300K around these parts, if you don't care about the neighborhood.

Pretty much accurate. I'd say that the cost of typical homes in Fairfield County CT (where I'm from) 20 years ago is what equivalent homes around here in Houston are now. :-°
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -12)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby knapplc » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:38 pm

This is ten years ago but we had a 1,000 sq/ft condo in Foster City, CA (just down the peninsula from SF) that was about 30 years old, on two levels (so factor in two hallways and a stairway) for the bargain price of $339,000. That was 2 bed/1.5 bath, with a pretty expansive deck/balcony that we didn't much use.

We then moved back to Stinkin' Lincoln and bought a four-year-old 2,500 sq/ft 4 bed/2 bath Ranch with a finished basement, full walkout, 6,500 sq/ft lot with nothing behind us but cornfields and blue sky, plus a HUGE kitchen, for $150,000. Fridge included.

I miss the culture, shopping, entertainment and sundry other perks you get living in a big city, but the trade off is 10x more living space for half the price, plus no crime.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: -17)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Madison » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:13 pm

jake_twothousandfive wrote:
Madison wrote:
thedude wrote:340K for a 1200 foot duplex in Boston? Seems like a pretty good deal. You won't find anything that cheap in Beacon Hill or the back bay. For instance (http://www.trulia.com/property/30031470 ... n-MA-02116 265 k for 294 square feet).

8-o

YIKES! That's basically 17 feet by 17 feet. 8-o I guess if you're single, work two jobs, and only use the place to shower and sleep, it might be ok :-o , but that still seems just insane to me (keep in mind we have rooms bigger than that entire apartment here in Texas). I guess it's easy to keep that place clean though. :*)

I'm sure that the fact that it's right next to the park/river/Boston Harbor makes a big difference.

It could be a 17 foot by 17 foot island and I'd still think that was way too expensive for what you're getting. :-D

knapplc wrote:This is ten years ago but we had a 1,000 sq/ft condo in Foster City, CA (just down the peninsula from SF) that was about 30 years old, on two levels (so factor in two hallways and a stairway) for the bargain price of $339,000. That was 2 bed/1.5 bath, with a pretty expansive deck/balcony that we didn't much use.

We then moved back to Stinkin' Lincoln and bought a four-year-old 2,500 sq/ft 4 bed/2 bath Ranch with a finished basement, full walkout, 6,500 sq/ft lot with nothing behind us but cornfields and blue sky, plus a HUGE kitchen, for $150,000. Fridge included.

I miss the culture, shopping, entertainment and sundry other perks you get living in a big city, but the trade off is 10x more living space for half the price, plus no crime.

You'd like it in Texas, at least the Dallas/Fort Worth metroplex. There's no sacrifice of "country vs. big city", you get it all here. ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -5140)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to General Talk