Return to General Talk

How much home can you get for $300K?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

How much home can you get for $300K?

Postby Madison » Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:43 pm

Saw an interesting comparison of costs around the country as to what can be bought for $300K, and it's anywhere from a small mansion to a tiny loft (450 square feet for $325,000! 8-o :-o ). Here's the link:

http://realestate.yahoo.com/promo/what-300000-buys-you-now

Rowlett, Texas isn't far from me (about 30 miles), so that explains why I see $300K+ for tiny places as crazy. :-b
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -5140)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: How much home can you get for $300K?

Postby urbanbreez » Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:46 pm

The three most important words in real estate are: location location location.
urbanbreez
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -14)

Postby WindyCityLove » Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:55 pm

It's pretty interesting what a huge difference the location makes. Some of those houses may be worth moving for.
WindyCityLove
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby thedude » Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:06 pm

340K for a 1200 foot duplex in Boston? Seems like a pretty good deal. You won't find anything that cheap in Beacon Hill or the back bay. For instance (http://www.trulia.com/property/30031470 ... n-MA-02116 265 k for 294 square feet).

WindyCityLove wrote:It's pretty interesting what a huge difference the location makes. Some of those houses may be worth moving for.

The question then becomes, can you earn enough money in that location to afford that house.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -397)

Postby bigh0rt » Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:53 pm

Not much. Maybe 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms?
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 376)

Postby AussieDodger » Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:56 am

If you don't care about how old it is, you can get A LOT in the town I live in for $300,000.
Stupid little brand new lego-land cookie cutter houses are about $250,000+, but if you don't mind a bit of elbow grease, you can get humongous 1970s and 80s houses for $300,000.

We are so pleased with our current 1970s house, that it is definitely the first style we'll look at next time. Bargains FTW. ;-D
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -37)

Postby Madison » Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:27 am

thedude wrote:340K for a 1200 foot duplex in Boston? Seems like a pretty good deal. You won't find anything that cheap in Beacon Hill or the back bay. For instance (http://www.trulia.com/property/30031470 ... n-MA-02116 265 k for 294 square feet).

8-o

YIKES! That's basically 17 feet by 17 feet. 8-o I guess if you're single, work two jobs, and only use the place to shower and sleep, it might be ok :-o , but that still seems just insane to me (keep in mind we have rooms bigger than that entire apartment here in Texas). I guess it's easy to keep that place clean though. :*)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -5140)

Postby bigh0rt » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:43 am

bigh0rt wrote:Not much. Maybe 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms?

I thought the subject said $500K. Scratch that. You can maybe get a 800 sq. ft. condo for $300K around these parts, if you don't care about the neighborhood.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 376)

Postby jake_twothousandfive » Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:26 pm

Madison wrote:
thedude wrote:340K for a 1200 foot duplex in Boston? Seems like a pretty good deal. You won't find anything that cheap in Beacon Hill or the back bay. For instance (http://www.trulia.com/property/30031470 ... n-MA-02116 265 k for 294 square feet).

8-o

YIKES! That's basically 17 feet by 17 feet. 8-o I guess if you're single, work two jobs, and only use the place to shower and sleep, it might be ok :-o , but that still seems just insane to me (keep in mind we have rooms bigger than that entire apartment here in Texas). I guess it's easy to keep that place clean though. :*)

I'm sure that the fact that it's right next to the park/river/Boston Harbor makes a big difference.
"Don't take anything for granted, because tomorrow is not promised to any of us." ---Kirby Puckett
jake_twothousandfive
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -63)

Postby Mookie4ever » Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:35 pm

I would love to live in Boston.

$300K for a broom closet? Wicked awesome.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -416)

Next

Return to General Talk