Return to Baseball Leftovers

Carlos Santana - CLE

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Carlos Santana - CLE

Postby Captain Furtah » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:39 pm

no, but does it matter if your catcher hits 30-0-30-0-.260 or 70-15-70-5-.300 if you are going anywhere anyway? if they bring him up in May/June of 2011 they save another year (and may be closer to competing again)...
Bleachergm.blogspot.com
Captain Furtah
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby WTH » Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:19 pm

This guy is going to be a MONSTER.
WTH
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: -1)

Postby Captain Furtah » Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:48 pm

WTH wrote:This guy is going to be a MONSTER.

I think we all agree, the question is when will he be 'released'

Where will he rank when called up. There are only 13 Catchers owned in my league....

Mauer
Martinez
McCann (me)
Wieters
Posada
Martin
B Molina
Suzuki
Soto
Montero (Doumit)
Y Molina
Pudge

Is he in the Suzuki/Soto range or the McCann/Wieters range?
Bleachergm.blogspot.com
Captain Furtah
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -4)

Postby Greg Stink » Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:23 pm

I love Santana but I just don't see any reason why the Indians would call him up early and risk super-2 status. They are not going to contend for anything this year, I'm pretty sure they know that. They're not exactly a large market team either loaded with tons of cash. So I would think fiscal responsibility is the most important factor to them. No matter how well Carlos does in the minors, I really think it would be a mistake for Cleveland to call him up before June 1st.

That being said, I am currently trying to find a way to stash Santana on my roster. It's pretty difficult because I've already got Strasburg, Chapman, and Smoak stashed. Adding Santana would leave me with only 2 active players on my bench. However because of Santana's upside, that is a chance I am about to take.
Greg Stink
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby soty » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:03 pm

Everything I keep reading in this thread is making me more and more happy that I decided to draft him, held onto to him.
soty
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicGraphics Expert
(Past Year: -154)

Postby thedude » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:46 am

Captain Furtah wrote:no, but does it matter if your catcher hits 30-0-30-0-.260 or 70-15-70-5-.300 if you are going anywhere anyway? if they bring him up in May/June of 2011 they save another year (and may be closer to competing again)...

They are probably primarily concerned about super-2 status, which can be avoided with an early June call up. It is better to give him the big league experience and learn how to call a game. It will be better for him to figure that out now rather than when the team is trying to compete.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -397)

Postby WTH » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:27 am

Captain Furtah wrote:
WTH wrote:This guy is going to be a MONSTER.

I think we all agree, the question is when will he be 'released'

Where will he rank when called up. There are only 13 Catchers owned in my league....

Mauer
Martinez
McCann (me)
Wieters
Posada
Martin
B Molina
Suzuki
Soto
Montero (Doumit)
Y Molina
Pudge

Is he in the Suzuki/Soto range or the McCann/Wieters range?

With his plate discipline, I think he will be a serviceable catcher in the Suzuki territory. Next year is when we see the real Santana, a guy who will solidify himself as part of the fab 5 (Mauer, McCann, VMart, Weiters, and Santana).
WTH
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: -1)

Postby kab21 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:22 pm

j24jags wrote:[
With his plate discipline, I think he will be a serviceable catcher in the Suzuki territory. Next year is when we see the real Santana, a guy who will solidify himself as part of the fab 5 (Mauer, McCann, VMart, Weiters, and Santana).

You think Santana's a level above Posey? Or you just think Santana will come up first? IMO you have to include Posey in that group too, along with Montero in 2-3 years.[/quote]

the big difference between posey and Santana is Bengie Molina will cut into Posey's PT (and prolong his stay in the minors). I do think Santana projects a little better as a hitter (and less defensively) though. the thing that I've been concerned about with Santana is that he wasn't pushed any faster these last two years despite making a mockery of MiLB pitching. that I'm usually concerned about MiLB hitters that have relatively high K rates (teammate Laporta is one example). Santana does have nice power but I would expect a .250-.260 BA.
My website - The World Is Not That Big
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 108)

Postby Philly_05 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:29 pm

I got a whole stash in my keeper league. It's roto so it's not exactly helping my offense to have 4 bench players none of them playing. But having Santana, Smoak, Jennings and Montero stashed should be nice for future years.
Philly_05
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 461)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers